Notices

3 months...

Old 11-24-2006, 09:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 months...

I've got three full months without drinking. I've had three full months to reflect on things and I still am not 100% sure that I am an alcoholic. I mean, I can pull my old posts and read them, and vividly remember the physical withdrawl symptoms, yet I still question whether or not I am a true alcoholic. Is it possible that the frequency in which I was drinking up to the point when I stopped for that short period of time excessively could cause the physical symptoms?
Is it possible that I could return to being a casual drinker, and imbibe only on occasion?

In these three months, I've had a few cravings.. but nothing any stronger than when you want to smoke a cigarette (people who have quit smoking know what im talking about) Its there for a brief second, then I'm over it..

Maybe I'm in denial, because seemingly everyone else can drink normally, and I cannot. Maybe its because I feel like I need an escape from reality from time to time.. Maybe its the alcoholism talking?

Don't get me wrong here, I dont plan on getting a bottle any time soon, but I'm the type of person who analyzes stuff, and I'm just looking for answers.. I mean, is it possible that I'm not an alcoholic.. perhaps I just need to exercise control with a little more vigilance?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi,
I was where u are once, and i thought i was normal drinker but like MOST alcoholic i fell down the pan into the fire yet again at a point that i had to be hospitalised.This disease of mine is cunning, baffling and powerful.I too thought i could do controlled drinking but it did not work for.

This time i have sobriety under my belt for today, not yesterday or tomorrow{24 hrs at atime}, therefore i will not question it at any time. All i do is solid on step 1(i'm powerless over alcohol) and i will try and stay here until i find myself an sponsor.Ikeep turning up for AA meetings,and if in doubt i do run through with other AA members for guidance and support.

May be it will be good idea to write the trouble alcohol brought ino ur life and reflect on it.

Best of luck.
San migel
Old 11-24-2006, 10:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

congratulations on three months!

I've got 90 days coming up monday (or tues, I forget) and there's no way I coulda done that on my own. It took the program and my old and new friends, and HP to manage this.

see ya on the next birthday!
Old 11-25-2006, 01:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is a link...excerpts from the book that convinced me that I was an alcoholic

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Well done on your sober time!
Old 11-25-2006, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Hey just1coke,

Big ups on 3 months. That's huge.

If you are an alcoholic, you certainly are not the only one. There's a whole heap of us who can't drink normally.

Interesting that you brought up the smoking thing. Each time I've quit smoking for an extended period of time, I would feel great, the cravings would go away, and then I would decide that one smoke couldn't hurt. Within days I would be right back to full speed with the rationalizations, the denial, and the plans for quitting again as soon as this or that event or date in near but not too near future passed. For me, one smoke makes me want another one, period.

Of course, nicotine is a highly addictive drug and smoking has many detrimental side effects and will likely contribute to my early exit from this planet. But... the same can be said for alcohol.

So this is how I see alcohol. Above all else, having one drink makes me want to have another. And past experience has shown that for me, "one is too many because one thousand is never enough."
Old 11-25-2006, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 3 months sober!

I expect that your mind is playing with you. The disease is trying to convince you that you're alright and you can drink normally. In my opinion, you just need to recognize those thoughts for what they are and ignore them.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am only 11 days in this time, but will tell you that I have tried to drink normally many times. Too many times to count and have always slipped past the line that I drew for myself. It frustrated those around me to the point that I have decided it is not worth it.

I once read that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome.

I suggest you stay the course.

David.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by just1coke
I've got three full months without drinking. I've had three full months to reflect on things and I still am not 100% sure that I am an alcoholic. I mean, I can pull my old posts and read them, and vividly remember the physical withdrawl symptoms, yet I still question whether or not I am a true alcoholic. Is it possible that the frequency in which I was drinking up to the point when I stopped for that short period of time excessively could cause the physical symptoms?
Is it possible that I could return to being a casual drinker, and imbibe only on occasion?

In these three months, I've had a few cravings.. but nothing any stronger than when you want to smoke a cigarette (people who have quit smoking know what im talking about) Its there for a brief second, then I'm over it..

Maybe I'm in denial, because seemingly everyone else can drink normally, and I cannot. Maybe its because I feel like I need an escape from reality from time to time.. Maybe its the alcoholism talking?

Don't get me wrong here, I dont plan on getting a bottle any time soon, but I'm the type of person who analyzes stuff, and I'm just looking for answers.. I mean, is it possible that I'm not an alcoholic.. perhaps I just need to exercise control with a little more vigilance?

I hope this statement helps.

Every alcoholic goes through the same pondering and thinking process you are going through right now.....we all wonder if we can drink now safely,...now that we have proven we can abstain for a while.......it only gets worse.....far worse
Old 11-25-2006, 12:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow, has it been three months already? I remember your very first post and responding to it.

I think what you are going through is pretty typical. I know I went through it at 30 days, 90 days, 6 months, 1 year and 18 months. My disease told me that because I hadn't had a drink in xx amount of days/months that MAYBE I wasn't an alcoholic and MAYBE this time would be different. Unfortunately (or I guess fortunately for me) I've seen others go through this who ended up drinking again. Some made it back into the rooms of AA beat up physically, mentally and spiritually. Some died. It's not a risk I want to take.

Only you can decide for yourself but I hope you will stay the course and continue not to drink.

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 11-28-2006, 09:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

That's your disease playing with you....I know, because mine does the same with me. It honestly tries to REASON with me and tries to CONVINCE me that I should drink because I didn't really have a problem in the first place. Just *one* day of drinking.....and then I can stop again like nothing had ever happened. And that's the voice that got me back into the bottle every time, and the result was ALWAYS the same. Now I've finally recognized that voice for what it is - it's NOT me, it's my addiction, and I do everything I can to ignore it.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

First of all congrats on 3 months.

Ask yourself a simple question, do normal people after 3 months with out a drink wonder if it is safe for them to have a drink or 2?

Of course not, I am an alcoholic and I know that when that thought pops into my head as others have said, it is my disease talking to me. I constantly have to remind myself that I am one drink away from a drunk and one drunk away from death.

I know a lot of folks that experimented with social drinking, they have all wound up back in the rooms kicking thier selfs in the butt, the last guy I saw do it had been sober for 7 years, it took him 6 years after his experiment failed to come back into the rooms.