Notices

Giggling attacks

Old 11-21-2006, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Giggling attacks

I've managed to stay alcohol free for 3 weeks now and have noticed that I've been laughing a lot more in the last couple of weeks than I ever did when I was suckling the alcoholic nipple.

God knows, when I was drinking every day there didn't seem much to laugh about, but now that I've got a few sober days under my belt I've found myself having giggling fits like I used to when I was a kid.

I'll give an example. My girlfriend has a 20 year old daughter with Down's syndrome called Gemma. Gemma never stops eating. She could eat for Britain. Last weekend my girlfriend cooked us all a massive, and I mean massive, Sunday roast followed by a huge pudding of ice cream. We all ate until we were ready to burst. Afterwards I flopped down in a chair rubbing my tummy and burping. Gemma, having eaten more than even I thought was possible, wobbled off for a lie down in her bedroom. About 20 minutes later my girlfriend and I heard movements in the kitchen and suddenly Gemma's head popped round the door. Her mouth was all smeared with peanut butter and she was pretending not to have anything in her mouth. She looked at us for a moment and then said, "C...C...Can I have a sandwich?"

It was all too much for me and I rolled around in convulsions for about 10 minutes.

Has anyone else been surprised to rediscover their chuckle muscles after quitting the booze?

Bananaman.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Oh yeah! Sometimes when I'm sharing drunkalogs with my AA buddies the laughter can be kind of nervous, but generally it erupts into something really genuine when the realization hits us that we have so much in common. My kids and I tend to laugh more with each other too!
Old 11-21-2006, 10:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whoops, I accidentally thanked myself for my own post. Cor, talk about an egomaniac!

Sobering up clearly hasn't cured my narcissism.

Bananaman.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

LOL, Bananaman! I came to SR because I was feeling upset about something and yours was the first post I read. I am giggling. I am *really* giggling. Thank you for helping my perspective change.

Hugs,
CS

PS - I giggle a lot with my kids too
Old 11-21-2006, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

bananaman

come to think of it, you're right! I AM laughing alot more now that I'm sober.

Thanks for pointing that out. Now i feel even happier~~
Old 11-21-2006, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering

Heh, I was wondering if that was sobriety or PAWS. I first noticed this happening when I detoxed from benzos and the slightest thing would make me laugh like a maniac.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know that when I attended detox and got five days sober I experienced the first real laughter I had in a year... while that year was all drunk and foggy but I do know that there was no real genuine laughter.

Yes, the more sober I am the more I laugh... often at myself.

Levi
Old 11-21-2006, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dear - man,

Thanks for a funny story. Like the first person who posted on your thread here, I came online feeling rather down, but your story and the hope that it inspires for my sober future (I've been sober one full week today), really cheered me up. I always find a reason to not drink when I come to this site. Thank you, friend!

Tim
Old 11-21-2006, 04:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Way to go on the seven days Tim. THat's awesome.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Right on! Beter than panic attacks for sure.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

banana ...

my closest friend in the program and I have 'grounded' ourselves from sitting next to each other in meetings ... because we get the giggles. And it's always over something that only we 'get'. I can't even sit across from him, for fear that we'll 'go'.
And it's always something that we can't explain to anyone. But we can look at each other, and say one word ... and it's all over with.

The funniest part of this whole thread - we were almost ejected from a meeting over someone's comment ...
'I have my 11th step prayer in one hand ... and my plastic banana in the other."
he looked at me and mouthed ..'plastic banana?'
convulsions.
I'm talking bust blood vessels in yer face kind of supressed laughter.
people came to us after the meeting and told us how touched they were to see that he and I were both ... crying. We were, too. Tears were streaming!
church crakup ... you remember - the ones you couldn't make any noise over?
next day - felt like I'd done a hundred crunches, holding that in.

I giggled when I saw your name, dude.

My favorite thing about meetings and the fellowship after ... is the laughter. It has it's own kind of sound ... majickal, musical. I can't explain it. Only HP can.
good thread. thanks!
Old 11-22-2006, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Barb, that's hilarious!!! Having to keep one's mouth shut and not laugh can be the hardest thing to do! My sister and I are exactly like that. If we look at each other when my dad or brother says grace before a meal, it's not good. We ruin the whole thing with uncontrolable snickering and everyone gets upset with us.

Oh my gosh, it gets worse......at my grandmother's funeral, my dad said something that sounded funny (to us) and our eyes met. I almost did the unforgivable and cracked up. Luckily, I excused myself before it came out. Everyone thought I was crying.

Sorry to hijack the thread! Back to the giggles!!!!!