Notices

he came stumbling into the room

Old 11-16-2006, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

he came stumbling into the room

I'm not sure where to start. All I know is my stomache is in knots and I know things aren't right. I'm not sure what my part is, and what action I need to take. I appreciate the input of those in recovery out there. How do I intervene without interfering with the natural progression of things? Am I minding my own business too much?

My husband suffered a head injury as a result of this disease this last summer. He had a miraculous recovery. Everyone everywhere stressed that for him to stay safe and not find himself in the same situation again, he had to get serious about his recovery and staying sober. He was on the pink cloud for maybe 2 months. He said he definately wanted recovery, that the head injury was his bottom.

He spoke words but does not want to follow through with the action it takes to stay sober and in recovery. I will say what I observe: He is completely drunk but without the alcohol. He is losing the rehabilitation he received this summer. He is losing his cognitive skills, his ability to reason, he is disoriented, slurred speach, drunken conversation, stumbles, drooping eyes, stays in bed all day, not wanting to eat. I do not know if Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome can continue to progress once one has stopped drinking. I don't know if it is the prescription meds or over the counter meds he is taking that is causing him to act drunk - if his body just can't handle anything anymore to where he responds drunk.

I don't know what action I need to take. I asked him what he was taking different with his meds, because there was a marked change in his behavior since he came home from rehab. He said "nuffing, wha, ah hathn't seeen uhny chinge inn muh behavuh".

I called one of his therapists from rehab to ask what I need to do. He advised me to encourage AH to follow up with one of the doctors he was seeing, and to discuss my concerns with this changed behavior. I haven't pushed it, but I did ask AH about following up with one of his doctor's. So far he sees no need to so he hasn't.

As a family member, what is my part? How am I suppose to respond to this behavior? I'm sticking to my Al-Anon groups, I'm trying to detach. I'm trying to mind my own business, let go and let God....but still, I could use some input from recovery alcoholics, as to where I draw the line between getting involved and minding my own business. I'm living with AH one day at a time. I am riding the fence about leaving, but am not quite ready to walk out even yet.

thanks for listening.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I see you have been posting in the Friends & Family
section..and you are in Al anon.

Both of those are avenues I would have suggested.

I feel your husbands condition needs medical attention.
Perhaps you might need to consult with a lawyer as to
your options.

I am sorry for the situation but have no experience with this.

Blessings..
Old 11-16-2006, 09:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm by no means an expert, but I would consider talking with a physician. What you are describing does not sound normal to me.

Unless you think maybe, he is self medicating with something else? (not OTC)
Old 11-17-2006, 03:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Carol, I decided to go ahead and re-post the information under the Family and Friends forum.

I'm also thinking about following up with his doctor to run these symptoms by him and see what action needs to be taken.

thank you,
Old 11-17-2006, 05:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Good luck Lizzy

peace and love