Notices

Having Trouble Quitting....again

Old 11-13-2006, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Having Trouble Quitting....again

I'm not going to go around and around but I cannot seem to quit for any significant amount of time even though I feel like I'm sick and constantly hungover. The more often I consume the more often I feel like crap and the more often my mind/body wants to drink ((( even tho I don't want to ))).

I'm trying but maybe not hard enough. I have done AA meetings and they weren't for me so I'm starting a different group for women next week. Maybe the connections with others in person will fill some time up during my evenings and help me connect to others in or that have been in my same situation.

In my soul I know that once I get past a certain amount of time of sobriety it won't be an issue, because I have done it before years ago. But this time at 39 more drinking, more often...it makes it harder to quit like I did years ago. I'm afraid to drink another five, ten, fifteen years because it slightly just gets worse... Everything negative gets worse and no matter how much I wish, it never goes back to the way it was 15-20 yrs ago does it.

I stay sick for days and drink again and I need to make it through the days when I feel as if I'm getting the flu or cold and just rest but instead I drink to make myself feel better...temporarily better just to ease the "sick" symptoms. What are they???? Those sick symptoms just seem to also be getting more severe for longer than they use to.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi 2Sobriety

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well.

I have had those sick symptoms in the past when I quit drinking. They do seem to get worse the older I get. Yep, a drink or two almost always made me feel better.

These weren't the cold or flu at all, they were withdrawal from alcohol.

There's a good sticky at the top of this forum.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html

Withdrawal can be dangerous, you may want to see your doctor.

The good news is, once the initial detox from alcohol is over, you never have to feel that way again.

Good luck to you and all the best.

Ron
Old 11-13-2006, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Yes, you're right. I think it does get harder and harder to quit the longer you drink and it takes more and more of a toll on your body.

You said you're trying, but maybe not hard enough. Quitting drinking was really, really hard for me and I had to be so motivated to make it work. I hope you are ready to quit and take care of yourself. Finding things to do instead of drinking is really important. You can't just stop drinking and do nothing else. Something that helped me a lot was doing volunteer work. It helped me to get outside of myself and do something for other people.

You can do this! There is lots of support here.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back 2sobriety!

Glad to see you are still trying..Blessings
Old 11-13-2006, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

It's great that you're still here working at it. Once your denial is gone, drinking no longer is much fun. One day you'll wake up so sick and tired of being so sick and tired that you'll once again make the leap of faith that getting sober looms easier than going through one more dreadful hangover. Maybe you're simply not finished yet. I do believe you're coming close to being finished and hope that your bottom does not have to be an extremely painful one.

Keep posting.. We are here for you.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all.

I will keep posting on how I am doing.

Thank you.

It is a blessing to get responses from people. It is amazing that others have experienced the same things as me.... urgh. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi 2Sobriety
i'm in a similar situation i quit for 10 months about 2 years back and felt great but then i got caught out and thought i could drink normaly....WRONG ,i'm now 41 years old and you think i would have learnt by now that i can't drink like a normal person, it's taken me nearly all of the last 2 years to get of the drink again, i've not had a drink now for 3 weeks and i'm determined that i'm not going to fall back into old habits, besides i'm getting to old for it now and i can't deal with the hangovers and feeling unwell as when i look back at the last 2 years i've had so many bad days because of hanovers that it still amazes me why i kept on drinking, anyway if you've stopped once before then i'm sure you can do it again, for me it was definatly the constant hangovers that brought it to an end.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

I didn't quit until I had tried it a large number of times. Then I quit for 8 months and started drinking again for about a year. This time it is now just 9 years and I know that I still have to make sure that I realise that I am an alcoholic. I can't relax myself to the point where my body fools me into thinking I may be able to be normal and drink again.

This has been on my mind a lot because there have been a lot of changes in my life recently and I know that the social situations I have been in are ones that might tempt me. So far so good, I have to remember that I can't drink, that my life is much better for me now and I can't gamble with that.

Good luck finding your end!!! I know that I found enough was enough and that was when I didn't have as much of a worry not drinking. I really knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that this drinking gig was crap for me. I was OK, I was NOT a bad person, the alcohol just really dragged me down and I TOTALLY knew the truth of this. It was much easier to stop and stay stopped after this.

peace and love,
Brigid
Old 11-18-2006, 06:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hear you.
And I know.
gosh, it is so much harder to quit as I age; also, the affects are different as I age as well and I'm sure it doesn't get easier... blah.
Thanks again you all.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

How you doing 2sobriety? Hope you are going ok and thinking about stuff. Then it might be time to do something. Here's to a sober life, it is pretty awesome!!!!! Imagine not feeling like cr@p when you wake up and not wondering what went on the night before ... dam I like that in my life now!!!!!!

Imagine what you gain. The opportunities and possibilities are just sensational. Imagine being able to love yourself and your life. It can happen!

Old 11-21-2006, 05:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi 2Sobriety,

How are you doing today?
We are still here, pulling for you.

I wanted to remind you: Just for today, DO NOT PICK UP A DRINK.

It will get better, one day at a time.!