Notices

Is there hope?

Old 11-07-2006, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is there hope?

Hello everyone. I am only on day two of not drinking but have been here many times before as I am basically a weekend binger. I do, however, spend the whole week feely awful about it. I have to say I feel utterly hopeless and don't know how to get over that. Even reading posts makes me sad, as people state that it doesn't get any easier, only harder. I just need to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I have pulled into the parking lot of an AA meeting but did not go in. I am still working on this. I have done a lot of praying but so far I don't know that I feel this has helped. From all of you succeeding, ANY wise words are appreciated. I have come to a scary point right now and don't know how to turn it around.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 days! The first days of recovery were the hardest for me and I do believe it does get better. I don't think temptation and cravings completely go away, but things get better. Days go by when I don't think about drinking at all.

I really encourage you to go to AA. It really helps to not feel so alone. I know how scary that first meeting is. I had to walk out of a meeting before it even started because I couldn't stop crying. Everything is very emotional right now. That too will subside. There are so many people out there who have gone years without drinking and they are so happy. There is hope. Don't quit before the miracle happens.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dazed, I know exactly where you are at right now. It is not a fun place to be. It is scary went you can't save yourself from yourself. If you can get into a meeting and sit down and let them know what your feeling, it will offer some relief! My sponser tells me When your walking thru hell, don't find a parking spot!
Old 11-07-2006, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

It DOES get better, Dazed, for the vast majority of us. I took the steps with a sponsor and attend AA meetings regularly. I credit that with the incredible happiness and contentment I feel most days (and the days I don't, it's more like moments that suck....I can't think of one single worthless day spent sober). Life keeps happening, no invisible force field surrounds us to deflect all the stuff normal people go through, but the shift in perspective--the gratitude at being alive and being sober--makes each day an opportunity to live, love and learn.

Go into the meeting. Give it a chance. And don't pick up the next drink.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-07-2006, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Withdrawal

Thanks for all of your responses. Did any of you suffer from what is knows as PAWS or post acute withdrawal syndrome? I feel like this is what keeps me from long term sobriety. I make it seven days or so and then get this withdrawal that I know alcohol will take away. Wondering if anyone has suffered with this and what helped. Again, thanks for all of the encouraging words.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am pretty sure we all get it. I heard a really interesting medical explaination for this but I couldn't re explain it. But it helped me to understand there was a reason I felt that way and that I wasn't crazy. Just knowing that you get thru them and they do get better. I am 31 and have tried to get sober for the last 7 years... This is the first sober time I have put together. Everytime i go thru a really hard night and want to scream at the top of my lungs that this is not fair, that no one should have to feel this way but then I don't drink and I wake up the next morning not hung over....I feel a great sense of relief and gratitude. Hang in there...
Old 11-07-2006, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I think PAWS is one of the many reasons 12-step programs work so well. We lend our experience, strength and hope to others while they're going through those tough times.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-07-2006, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Before I finally successfully quit..
I needed to understand WHY I drank.

Here are excerpts from the book that convinced me

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

The info there + God and AA
jave made my life fantastic!
Old 11-08-2006, 05:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I got better.And this is what changed my life.
I today dont measure,my happiness,or peacefulness,on lack of problems.There will always be something.Its my own thoughts,and actions,when changed,that changes my life,changes me.
Drinking always in the end made things worse,and bigger than they were to begin with.
Prayer without works is-dead.
Pray and take action.
You are no longer all alone,
Old 11-08-2006, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dazed
Its the power of alcohol talking to you.Its very patient.Take this thing one minite at a time if you have to.
You need to get in that AA meeting.You'll find that you're not special.We all have been through this.You'll find alot of help there.
But do keep coming back here.We are here for you.
Find someone you can talk to face to face about this.Explain what is going on.People in AA are good listeners.You just don't need to be alone right now.Especially on the weekends.
Before at got to AA Bud Light was my only freind.
Needed to find something else.
Don't be ashamed.Get into AA find a sponser and start working the steps.
STEP 1:I am powerless over alcohol and my life has become unmanageable.
Work this along as you have to till you get it.
Willing to help you any way I can.
BOB