Notices

Aging and Drinking

Old 10-22-2006, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Aging and Drinking

I have been on and off battling my drinking problem. I'm 39 and I'm having more of a difficult quitting than I did when I quit for a long while 10 yrs ago.

Does alcohol affect people more as they age? More negative consequences? Im asking people out there if they noticed that to be true with own experiences with booze. It seems that way to me. Lots of weird situations occur due to my drinking -- or everyone's drinking. I do notice weird things have occurred while I was drinking and some I can barely remember and of course some i totally remember. But just sensing that something strange has happend is bad enough let alone actually remembering!!

I hope i can quit soon. I still get hangovers and i quit for a few days than drink again when I start feeling better and normal...why?

I'm afraid that i won't be able to stop because i haven't been able to in years.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

A person that drinks enough can have health problems at age 25 the same as that of someone who is 50. Alcohol is prgressive in the damage it does as well as the addictive properties of drinking it.
A friend was sharing how his Dr put it when he stopped...
(Friend)Now that I stopped, I seem to be sick all the time.
(Dr) Now that you stopped, you are seeing how sick you were while drinking.

Your not remembering
Lots of weird situations occur due to my drinking -- or everyone's drinking. I do notice weird things have occurred while I was drinking and some I can barely remember and of course some i totally remember.
Age brings it's own heath issues and adding alcohol can bring other issues as well. Sober, we see them all and can get treatment faster, as needed. Sober is healthier.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Have you read this??

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Take care...you too can recover
Old 10-23-2006, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dear 2Sobriety,

Everyone is different, in other words everyone drinks differently, as well as ages differently. BUT drinking ages your body and mind. Drinking impairs both.

Over time and with much repetition, degeneration starts to occur. But never give up trying to quit. Its NEVER too late to improve your life.

Id suggest getting a medical checkup and then lpooking around for education and support such as AA or another program of alcoholism recovery. SR is also a very positive support group. Keep posting and reading here and let us know how you arre doing.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Smiling In Earnest

i started noticing that the older i got.. the longer it took my body to "recover" from heavy drinking.. and since i was drinking heavily every night.. my body was never getting a spare moment to really heal itself.. poor body.. lol
Old 10-30-2006, 08:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When we go back to it after a period without, the slippery slope is much steeper. I seemed to sober up quicker but that was deceptive. I started bleeding inside and my depression which had always been vague, suddenly became extreme.

I had to remember the dubious situations where some of my old long ago bouts took me and also the tales fellow AA members have told me about their own experiences (a deed done in unconsciousness repercussed on my friend several years into his sobriety - when he was serene enough to cope with that - so no more unconsciousness for me please).

At the same time I am actually finding all kinds of legit and constructive new ways to comfort my nerves - including getting life's issues in proportion through chatting them over with trusted friends.