Notices

ugh, here we go again.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ugh, here we go again.

Yesterday at work, several things happened which sucked, big time.. I left work with that feeling I used to drown w/ alcohol. Several things contributed to it, but now I realize that I dont know how to cope with those feelings. It was literally all I could do to not stop off and seek comfort in the bottom of a bottle. After I made it home, I just locked the door and went straight to sleep, because I knew if I stayed up, and stewed I would cave in and get a drink. The past few days I've got those thoughts going that say "Hey, you can have just a couple drinks to blow off some steam, you can control yourself now" And im a week short of two months sober.. Does this get any easier?
Old 10-18-2006, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wow! Congratulations on your sober time!

When I get upset, I find an AA meeting to share in.
I also call another member and use the
Serenity Prayer.

Take care..
Old 10-18-2006, 11:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
prisoner

that's incredibly strong of you to resist the temptation, just1coke. i hope i can achieve the same will power when the going gets tough during my sobriety.

i fell off the wagon many times due to stress and pressure at work, and whilst the alcohol provided short term relief, in the long term it only made the stress worse.

hang on in there!!
Old 10-19-2006, 12:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

1coke posted -
:Yesterday at work, several things happened which sucked, big time.. I left work with that feeling I used to drown w/ alcohol. Several things contributed to it, but now I realize that I dont know how to cope with those feelings..."
"...And im a week short of two months sober.. Does this get any easier?"

>>> Dude.
I'm SOOO there.
Had a fabulous meeting, very powerful, then got in to work - BANG - new rules, do this don't do that - NONE of which have anything to do with making anyone do their job better. Not one thing. Somebody got bored and just started making rules. That's all the heck this 3 page 'memo' is about. "do the exact same thing - just do it all different'.
*sigh*
Before I knew it - my jaw was clenched, my eyes kinda bulging ... so I came here. To chill.
And I know exactly what you mean - my MIND knows I never have to take another drink.
Meanwhile, my BODY is saying, 'hey, remember what you used to do when you got like this?'
In fact, I do. Get drunk and try to kill yourself.
Stupid body.
insidious = 1. seductive. 2. treacherous

I think I'm gonna get that for vanity plates when they come due.

Thanks for letting me know ... I'm not alone here in recovery.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

you never have to white knuckle those feelings alone if you have a support group, such as AA. Do you have one?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well sure as hell, those feelings are gonna come around again some time soon, so you've got to work out some different ways to deal with them. Sleep might work sometimes, but it's not always possible. Find someone who'll listen to you let off steam, or go and get that heart pumping with some exercise maybe. Distract yourself from the craving and it'll usually go away.

Well done with two months sober, and yes it definitely gets easier (although it never quite gets to being totally easy, but heh!)