Notices

Some advice

Old 03-15-2003, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Some advice

Hello

I drink every day and my body feels like crap. I exercise alot but seem to ruin that with my excess drinking.

I am looking for help but would rather not attend meetings at this point. I guess everytime I 've tried to quit on my own, it hasn't happened. I found excess working out to be somewhat of a help but not the answer. Is it normal for your body to ache and feel like **** all day? I guess I am a functioning alccoholic who goes to work each and everyday, workouts and seems to live a normal life. I am not happy, I have spent so much money on alcohol and just feel unhealthy. Is this what others goe through? I have never been in trouble with the law or done anything wrong , at least not yet! I seem to always find a reason to drink with friends but more importantly I do and would rather sit at home and drink by myself

Any advice or suggestions?
Old 03-15-2003, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Teach

I know that when I drank I felt like **** most of the time,

as far as recovery from your drinking without meetings, I have heard of some programs that promise amazing instant results, however the only thing that has worked for me is A.A. and a lot of meetings.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

drinking

teach,I will suggest a couple of things in case you are not wanting to go to a AA meeting now.

Buy a AA " big book".You can get one online and have it sent to your home,in private.Read over the book,pay attention to the first 164 pages.It describes the alcoholic and the solution and how to find your solution,but there`s no substitute for a live meeting,maybe a open speaker meeting ..

I used to feel like crap too,even the hair on my head was sore..

I would try different things and they worked for a short while,then drunk again,and I was a loner too.I retreated from society for the most part.
But the big book offers a common solution for us all,it is the best book I ever read.The first time I read it,I was amazed.

email me if you would like to talk some more..

[email protected]

good luck
Old 03-15-2003, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Doug

If you haven't done so yet, check the following link. Also check the newcomer section, theres alot of good info around here for the reading. I couldn't get any help or relief until I became willing to do something(s) different. I never bothered to exercise when I was drinking, so I can't relate to my body feeling crappy from it.
Come to think of it, I didn't exercise, because I allready felt crappy from the alcohol. Welcome to the boards.
http://soberrecovery.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10367

Doug

Last edited by Doug; 03-15-2003 at 04:55 PM.

Old 03-16-2003, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Teach,welcome to the forum.

The only suggestions I would be able to give you are based on my own experiences with AA.

I do believe there are other treatment programmes that may be able to help,but obviously I cannot talk about something I do not have any experience with.

I had a lot of aversion to going to meetings when I first heard about AA.At the time it seemed to me like the ultimate act of humiliation to have to sit in a roomful of drunks and say I was an alcoholic.

I had this stereotyed image of what an alcoholic was and because I did not fit the image of the bum lying in the alley with the brown paper bag I felt I did not belong in AA.

However I agreed to go because at the time I had run out of options and I was desperate.

I got a really big surpise at my first meeting.

I met people who looked healthy,happy,successful and sober and furthermore they spoke about drinking and the results of it in I way I could identify with.

Of gourse there was the other new guy sitting near the door who was spilling coffee all over his shirt because he couldnt hold the cup steady enough to get it to his mouth,but for the first time I was in a roomful of people who accepted me and did not talk down to me.

I knew from my first meeting that I was finally home and little by little I began to learn some of the things I needed to do to get sober,stay sober and have a healthy life.

AA can work for you too If you ever find the willingness to give it a chance.

In the meantime keep coming back and check out some of the other forums and posts.We are very gld to have you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Peter.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Scott L.

YET ?????

all I know today, is,

That if I would have started going to meetings, and working the program, when I was saying "yet"

It would have saved me and my family a lot of misery.

yet

yet

yet

yet......

my "yets" tured in to "should've's"

and I have a habit of "shoulding" all over my self.

Old 03-17-2003, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Doug

Yet=Your Eligible Too.

I've got some yets still, I also have alot of agains to watch for.

Doug

Old 03-17-2003, 10:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Scott L.

YET again

Thanks for reminding me about the agains, that's why I identify as a gutter drunk. It's where I end up when I drink, where I ended up the last time I drank, and where I will end up if I drink...

...again

Old 04-14-2003, 04:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Re: Some advice

Originally posted by Teach
Hello

I drink every day and my body feels like crap. I exercise alot but seem to ruin that with my excess drinking.

I guess I am a functioning alccoholic who goes to work each and everyday, workouts and seems to live a normal life. I am not happy, I have spent so much money on alcohol and just feel unhealthy. Is this what others goe through?

For me, when I drank (I drank to get drunk) I just planned on missing work. By that, I was always broke before the week was up. I guess you could say that I am NOT a functioning alcoholic.

Any advice or suggestions?
Old 04-14-2003, 11:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

An exercise person who likes to drink? Sounds like a guy I work with. Sounds the guy I used to be. This country has a strange double-standard about alcohol and fitness. Must be all those Coors light commercials...

Anyway, I can relate. Waking up in the mornings with a splitting headache, a bad stomach, accompanied by that guilty feeling "I did it again" and those ridiculous pledges that I would never do it again.

You're not alone in being apprehensive about meetings. Heck I still get a little nervous sometimes (What if they figure out I don't belong? goes through my head). But that's just my difficulties with being a joiner. It's never because the people there don't accept me.

With me, the hardest part was the inference that if I went to the meeting - I HAD THE PROBLEM. If I lied to myself and didn't go, then no problem. Once I admitted to myself and said the words "I am an alcoholic" then it got easier.

What has worked the best for me is developing the higher power relationship. I don't hit regular meetings, my schedule simply won't allow it. So I pray. I find that when my thoughts are on my HP, I do a lot better.

Anyway, Teach, I wish you the best of luck and hope to "see" you around here. Welcome!
Old 04-14-2003, 01:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Yo Teach!

I am gonna throw some stuff from the book Alcoholics Anonymous at ya,which by the way is avilable to view online.

http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~clyde/BillW/

If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic. If that be the case, you may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer.
which only a spiritual experience will conquer.

pg. 52 BB
We were having trouble with personal relationships, we couldn't control our emotional natures, we were a prey to misery and depression, we couldn't make a living, we had a feeling of uselessness, we were full of fear, we were unhappy, we couldn't seem to be of real help to other people"

Sound familiar?
pg. 30 BB

Most of us have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

And Of Course
pg.31 BB

Here are some of the methods we have tried: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums -- we could increase the list ad infinitum.

And now for my interpretation and or opinion and experience

I can't find anywhere that we have to lose our personal possessions or position to go insane and die of alcoholism,I know too many wealthy people who got sober and hadn't lost anything but were just as hopeless inside as the guy living under the bridge. Drinking is a symptom of an internal spiritual condition,a malady as it states in the big book,mental obssession to drink is the result,then we take a drink and lose control.This physical condition cannot be cured,not yet anyway,so physical excercise is of no real value,money wont fix it,cars ,women,etc,etc,etc.....

When AA started there were very few meetings,yet people got sober just by doing what is in the book,I said by doing what is in the book.
The only reason I go to meetings is to be reminded I am not alone,and more important to try and bring hope to new people,I try to see what I can give rather than what I can get,sure improves the quality of meetings somehow.

The fact is the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking,Hell!,you don't even have to be sober,you don't have to raise your hand, introduce yourself ,pay anything,believe anythig,do anything,but if you do go and just listen you might find that you may belong,and that maybe this thing can work for you too.

Good Luck and God Bless