Notices

Excerpts "Under The Influence"

Old 10-16-2006, 06:40 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting the info on blackouts. I was looking for that specifically. I was a blackout drinker from an early age. Towards the end it got really bad. I was drinking to keep from dealing with my dysfunctional family. I knew that sober I would never harm my kids. When I would wake up from a blackout I was always fearful that I might have hurt them. Thank God I never did. I am also thankful that I don't have to try and piece together the night before anymore, check the caller ID to see who I talked to, wonder if I went out in the front yard naked, etc. Sober is good.

Last edited by Zephyr; 10-16-2006 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:28 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks GT
I'm new to SR and now I know i've come to the right place. I can identify in myself almost all of the characteristics mentioned from the those excerpts. Pretty informative and scary stuff.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:00 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

I was lucky in that I didn't often experience blackouts...I'd usually only get them if I drank something harder than beer, such as a lot of wine or hard liquor. But when I DID have them....it scared the bajeezus out of me! I found mainly that my memories of the night-before would be hazy, and I would forget conversations I'd had, and I'd usually forget going to bed (or passing out, more accurately). Not sure if that fully constitutes a black out.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:22 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

i'm reading that book right now, it's nearly 1.30 am here in the uk and i havn't had a drink for the first time in ages and i can't sleep, the bit in the book about malnutrition is very true for me as i've always been a fit guy but when i'm drinking i end up weak and loose weight.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:47 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
KJJ

there's so much good , informative info here and i'll read and re-read,explains my lows in the morning with no alcohol, i tried coffee to get the energy and that doesn't work, i've heard about honey and orange juice in the morning, i have both at home sooo..giving it a try KJJ
Old 11-11-2006, 11:25 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Green Tea - thanks so much for posting all this. I'm going to go get hold of the book itself.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:31 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I will get that book too. GreenTea thank you very much for those excerpts, although knowing most of the information , this thread became a rude awakening to me.

May God help me I am kicking this habit!
Old 11-20-2006, 02:29 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Trying to get inside the head of my dead Alc man. Trying to understand what he was going through, and why he had to do and hide it all. SO terribly sad, such a clever and wonderful man, who loved me so much, but hid this terrible disease from me and all who loved him.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:56 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Thanks so very much for this one GreenTea.
From your excerps, I have identified that I am in the middle stages of alcoholism and have been for about two years.

Despite his increasing problems, however, the middle-stage alcoholic rarely considers giving up drinking..
While I haven't increased the frequency of my drinking, I am starting to get the black outs. Looks as though now would be the best time for me to quit, before I get to the late stages of the disease.

All of this also explains why once I start (after two drinks) I don't feel I can stop and I do crave more alcohol- badly!

Thanks again, it's inspiring and motivating stuff.
Jen
Old 11-22-2006, 04:41 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
AA Member

Great thread GT thank you I too will get the book. It really hits home with me.

I don't know sometimes which is worse... Waking up not remembering what happened and having to glean it all from everyone around you, (they all remember, and they all know that you don't). Or waking up, and after a few minutes, recalling something really bad that did happen, (yes, now that you remember the nightmare, it really was for real -- welcome back to life!). -shudder-

So True, So True. Thank you, Green tea
Old 11-22-2006, 08:01 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I am going to have to purchase this book, reading these excerpts makes it clear that there is a lot in this book that I need to read. I identified with almost every excerpt immediately, some it took a second read... but the identity was there.

I grew up in an alcoholic home. I have lived with it and seen my family members struggle with it. This book is clearly providing a much greater understanding for me.

Thank you for sharing. Levi
Old 11-25-2006, 01:27 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Exclamation

"Under The Influence"
has so much more information than these excerpts.

And there is a sequel..
"Beyond The Influence"

Both are carried by Amazon.

GreenTea...
Thank you again for this valuable thread!
Old 11-26-2006, 06:42 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Wow, I'm so glad I finally got around to reading this thread. I didn't realize how much anxiety I still have about blackouts. In my first 2 mos. or so of being sober, I would wake up and shoot straight up out of bed.."WHAT DID I DO!?!" "WHAT HAPPENED!?!" Gut-wrenching, heart-wrenching..terror.

I don't still wake up this way, but reading over the excerpts and reading all of your experiences (so similar to my own)..I feel the anxiety. I'm actually glad the fear is still in me. It's hard to face, but in a way..it kinda' helps.

Thanks GreenTea! I think I'll head out to get this book today!
-Moni
Old 11-26-2006, 01:48 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you Moni!
Old 12-02-2006, 05:24 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Thank you so much everyone! It makes me feel very warm inside seeing how well-received this thread has been. I'm so utterly glad that it seems to be helping people.

Don't forget to thank Carol for making it a sticky. Without that, not nearly as many people would be reading it. Carol also asked me to make sure I include the information on blackouts. Thanks again Carol!

We Are Not Alone!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:17 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I remember the blackouts and the not knowing after the fact and the anxiety it brought on... I am sure glad that I don't deal with that anymore. Recovery is a much happier place to be.

Levi
Old 12-06-2006, 04:18 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Thanks

A great read indeed and I too shall be purchasing both books.

I only seem to suffer blackouts with regards to the last 30 minutes to an hour of an evening. Mostly the details are sketchy and I have to really try and remember how I got to bed. Thank goodness I haven't had some of the worse blackouts described. I'm hoping I have caught myself in time?
Old 12-11-2006, 03:28 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
emerging from the darkness

wow

Thank you so much for putting all of this out there, I am floored by the information. I had a general idea of how Alcohol affects our system but to have it spelled out so well is an incredible resource.

I (as well) do not understand why I don't have liver damage.

There have been periods where I suspected I was in the later stages but it all seemed to vanish when I stopped. For example horrible stomach pains after eating ANYTHING & everything I ate passing right through me within about 20 minutes.

It would stop within a day or so of sobriety, like clockwork.

The first time it happened I thought I had a stomach virus or something, but had no fever nor did I feel sick, until I ate something. I stopped it stopped. As soon as I started heavily, about a week or two later it began again.

You really made an impression on me with this thread, thank you so much.

Jay
Old 12-14-2006, 03:45 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Royalty

I have this book, and did not find it that good....until I started reading it on here....and with everyones comments added to it, it makes things so much clearer.

(My husband is the A in my life.) The thing that I find most amazing, is that the blackouts actually scare alcoholics?? I was always under the impression that an alcoholic wanted to drink until they couldn't remember. Interesting stuff, thanks.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:09 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Originally Posted by HolyQow View Post
I was always under the impression that an alcoholic wanted to drink until they couldn't remember
No... We drank because we wanted the pain to go away or to feel human again. And then we drank because we had no other choice. At least it was that way with me.