Notices

trying to get sober for good

Old 09-19-2006, 05:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question trying to get sober for good

Hello everyone here,
I'm glad to have found this site. I'm 39 and need to stop drinking alcohol. I have been drinking more than normal since I was about 16. Inside I know it's time. I have been trying for many years and for some reason chose to drink after a while thinking that I can drink. There are occassions when I can drink one or two but it seems that a time will come again where I drink way too much for one person and I get drunk, hungover and just crazy sometimes. Strange.

I want to quit but having a hard time getting passed the 2 wk period. Alcohol isn't even fun anymore but I do it anyway.

Anyone relate?? urgh I feel like I'm too old and it's just too late...

Sue
Old 09-19-2006, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2sobriety
Hello everyone here,
I'm glad to have found this site. I'm 39 and need to stop drinking alcohol. I have been drinking more than normal since I was about 16. Inside I know it's time. I have been trying for many years and for some reason chose to drink after a while thinking that I can drink. There are occassions when I can drink one or two but it seems that a time will come again where I drink way too much for one person and I get drunk, hungover and just crazy sometimes. Strange.

I want to quit but having a hard time getting passed the 2 wk period. Alcohol isn't even fun anymore but I do it anyway.

Anyone relate?? urgh I feel like I'm too old and it's just too late...

Sue

welcome! SR, and AA have defly helped me stay sober the past 16 days. i defly hit rock bottom recently, and NEED the change more than ever.

i know how it is to try and try to stop on your own, but never seems to work. i would just suggest AA. i really had my reservations about it at first, but seriously i doubt i would be posting this here right now if i hadn't started going to meetings.

good that you found this forum though, and from what and who i have seen at meetings it is never too late.

wish you luck, and stick around!
Old 09-19-2006, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will check out AA. And yeah it is rediculously difficult....it seems. lol
Thanks.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi sue!

please don't feel u are too old. ive got you beat!! im 41 and i also have been drinking since 16 (2 days before my 16th birthday to be exact---of course i would remember that date)
ive quit drinking many times over the years. im only on day 2 and the thought of 2 wks isnt even in view yet.... but i am not drinking this evening like i usually do when i get home from work. i do relate to not having fun drinking anymore. im so sick and tired of waking up in the mornings thinking, "why did i do that again?" there are just strings of mornings when i have had that same first thought upon waking. i think most of the time after work, i feel i have to have that drink to put some kind of ease in my body, to destress, to cope.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello Sue! Welcome!

Congratulations for seeking answers to your drinking.
Alcoholism is a disease and it is progressive.
I suggest you get more factual info

My favorite book on alcoholism is
"Under The Influence"
and it has a sequel..."Beyond The Influence"

Both can be ordered from Amazon...

Glad to see a new member...we do understand and you are not alone.

Blessings...
Old 09-19-2006, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic....Been sober by the Grace of my HP and people here in SR since 8-11-90 and for that im truely grateful.

I entered rehab back in Aug 90 for a 28 day stay. When i was released i began going to meetings on my own...here i was 30 and thought i was the youngest person sitting in those rooms....After awhile as i settled in i didnt see myself older or younger...just being a part of a wonderful supportive group of folks traveling along the same road of recovery as i learning to stay sober one day at a time by sharing our own ESH with each other.

With many different age groups coming into recovery today....i would look at ur age as someone with a little more wisdom. You have a little more life time than some.....but still with that....you can learn from the younger generation as the younger generation can learn from the elders......

In recovery...no one is better than anyone else....we are all in the same boat going thru the same thing...ODAAT...ONE DAY AT A TIME
Old 09-20-2006, 09:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

2Sobriety-Oh yeah I can relate. I have tried to quit a number of times. Each time has been worse than the time before. As I said earlier we are seduced by the idea that if we can stop for a while then we can go back to having just a few drinks and it never works.

I definitely relate to how you feel. I am trying to do it differently this time, so I don't end up in the same spot. Good luck!

GJ
Old 09-20-2006, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

A guy at my local AA room got sober at age 63 when his family dragged him to rehab...again.

Today he is sober 22 years.

Never too old. Never.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

39 is only half way to 80!!! You have been drinking for about 23 years, well take that away from 80 and that leaves 57 years sober. Hmmm, I don't think it is too late to start getting to a place that is happier.

That is what I think anyway, maybe it is because I was a math teacher and I like numbers but I think this way about the number of years that I have been drinking and the number of years that I have left in my life and how if I don't drink then I haven't been drinking for that long in my life really.

Then you read some great stories about people getting sober later on in their life and they just love it that they can now enjoy grandkids and sunrises and stuff like that.

Never too old!!!!!! Never!!!! Whilst there is life, there is possibility. I just had to want it, admit I could not control alcohol and that I could do it. Then it was a matter of working out how. Stick around there are heaps of people here who have tried lots of different things and something can and will work for you!!

peace and love,
Brigid
Old 09-21-2006, 03:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! Yes I can relate! I drank everday for years. I drank for many years after the fun was gone. I drank eventhough I had a problem. When I finally got honest with myself, and I decided that I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink, I finally stopped. AA helped me tremendously. By the grace of God, I have over 19 months of sobriety. If I can stop, you can too. Stick around
JMHS