Notices

Alcoholism-The Cause and the Cure (Petralli)

Old 09-12-2006, 10:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism-The Cause and the Cure (Petralli)

Has anyone heard of this book by Genita Petralli?

Alcoholism: The Cause & The Cure

Apparently she is an "orthomolecular" nutritionist suggesting nutritional supplements to help overcome alcohol addiction.

I'm trying to find out if anyone has ever critiqued her premise or tried her technique, but all I find are websites and bookshop "testimonials". Anyone here have an opinion?

Candy Scratch - bolstering myself for Day 3 of sobriety (again)
Old 09-13-2006, 12:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No, but if there is a *cure* for alcoholism, I sure want to know about it! ( lol - )

Seriously, I do encouage anyone and everyone to read and learn about alcoholism. There are many roads, all leading to the same place - happy, serene sobriety. Let us know how you like the book, k?

Old 09-13-2006, 03:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Interesting. I found this site the101program.
the101program.com
which provides some more information and you can read selected excerpts there. What I couldn't find (without actually buying the book) is what this program is using for a definition of "cure" or if one of the requirements of this program is complete abstinence from alcohol.

Congratulations on your new beginning CS. You can do this thing.

Last edited by CarolD; 09-13-2006 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Phinny, I never actually bought the book. I'm a sceptic, also, but continually looking for more and more information.

Thanks findingout - I saw that site too, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually read it and whether it has been at all useful. The site reads a little like an infomercial, which turns me off. Some of her articles do seem to make sense though (from the excerpts I read). I don't think there is a "cure" either, but I wouldn't mind a nutritional holistic program to help my body get well. If, that is, it's not just a rip off to have me spend my hard-earned bucks on "nutraceuticals" which one can purchase online. You know what I mean?

Thanks for the congrats too. Day 3, here I come baby. I will NOT drink a drop today.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you are trying again!..:

Many recovering alcoholics follow an eating plan for hypoglycemia

In the back of "Under The Influence" is a diet
I followed in early recovery and it works well.

Take care...
Old 09-13-2006, 05:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I recently read "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" by Joan Larson.

She also uses mega doses of certain nutritional stuff and goes into a lot of detail as to why and spells out a diet and nutritional plan that her clients have had a lot of success with. Makes sense to me.

It's a good read..

Ron
Old 09-20-2006, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi All.I had to get on a reduced carb diet about 5 years sober because of a health problem.While preparing to go on the diet ,I discovered that studies have shown that reduceing a alcoholics carb intake can help with the recovery process(cravings).Anyway after about 3 days on the diet I just could not believe how my mind calmed down.It was amazing.I only wish that I was aware of this when I first came in.Heck they were pushing bowls of high carb sugary candy at me saying "this will help with cravings". I was pre diabetic and that candy was poison to my body and my mind.My blood sugar was out of wack.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi satori Welcome to SR!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you!!
Old 09-21-2006, 11:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

The cure is in your heart and in your head. I understand though how that curiosity to try anything but a genuine kick in ones own ass is a better option.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, Chy, I agree there is no so-called "cure".

I was curious about whether the book had anything worthwhile in it, to make it even worth perusing at all. I already am building up quite a library of books on alcoholism and recovery. I pondered getting this one, but it still smacks too much of an infomercial for me, which just means open toilet, throw in dollars, flush...

I think a lot of good nutritional advice IS out there -- they hypoglycemic diet, sugar-busters, etc., which are all readily available at my public library. I don't think I need to buy this one, as no one (so far) has had anything good (or bad) to say about it.

CS
Old 09-21-2006, 10:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

I haven't read the book you're talking about, but I did follow the nutritional supplement program in Seven Weeks to Sobriety and I've been following the SouthBeach Diet which is similar to a diabetic/hypoglycemic diet (no sugar, no refined flour), and it's working very well for me. I stayed sober for 10 months on the SouthBeach Diet back in 2004 when my husband quit drinking with me. He started again after four months and I held out for 10 months and then temptation took over again. I lost almost 50 pounds and had a lot of energy and felt great. I don't know what went wrong. Thinking back, I remember now that my Grandmother and Aunts came to visit and they had lots of Krispy Kreme donuts at their condo on the beach. I broke down and had several of the donuts and then my husband and I were going out for our anniversary and I talked myself into enjoying some margaritas "just for that one night".

I just restarted the SouthBeach diet again, plus the supplement program in the Seven weeks to Sobriety book. Staying away from the sugar and eating healthy whole grains has really made a difference. I only have fleeting thoughts about alcohol maybe a couple of times a week, but most of the time I don't even think about it or miss it any more. Another nice benfit is that I've lost 21.5 pounds since restarting 3 months ago on June 12th.

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2006, 05:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I would assume that if her way did in fact cure alcoholism, it would have been blasted all around the world by every media outfit, Oprah, Dr. Phil and maybe even Sesame Street.

She'd also probably win the Nobel Peace prize.

Since that hasnt happened, I feel she is just another charlatan. There is no cure for Alcoholism.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smile The 101 Program

I just bought that book and read it right through. On the good side, I think there is a lot to it and in fact Bill Wilson himself was convinced that nutrition had a role to play and helping overcome addiction. The book gives a very detailed explanation of all of the damage which alcohol does to our bodies - neurological and physiological. It shows the exact nature of the damage done and how substances within our bodies are affected - and the symptoms both physical and mental of that damage - including how cravings are caused. It gives a comprehensive recommendation for dietary/nutritional steps that can be taken to help restore body and mind to good health. Many of its recommendations chime with what AA would say about building a constructive lifestyle and getting into good routines etc. It does not promise a quick cure and is realistic about the commitment and effort involved. It departs from AA teaching in that it claims alcohol addiction can be cured in the long run - but not before your body has been restored to health- i.e the cravings are neurologically and phsysiological symptoms of unbalanced health which explains why some people appear to be 'natural alcoholics' while others can drink their way to the same condition over time. In other words cravings are not a personality induced problem - albeit they are a problem that affects your personality and behaviour. However, those who have inflicted long term damage on their bodies may never be able to regain full health and may therefore always be susceptible to alcohol addiction. Regular testing of neuroendocrine and other systems will show whether this is the case or not. In a funny way it has a lot in common with AA - its just expressed differently.

On the down side the book is confusing to follow in that the directions for each phase of the programe are given in different places in the book and without a comprehnsive index at the back. For an expensive book - 40 dollars - that is a major oversight - especially so for something which is supposed to operate as a manual/reference guide. Also the website is difficult to make head or tail of - no costs are given for the recovery program itself which is very irritating - there is no FAQ - apparently no named support people to contact other than a general email address which so far has not responded to a query I sent about 24 hours ago. All I can make out is that the initial consultaion is 75 dollars so I reckon the full recovery programe is likely to be quite expensive -it includes testing, regular consultations, nutritional supplements and other things. Given that they are addressing alocholics I would have expected them to make a priority of the possibility that needy and vulnerable people like us should be communicated with promptly. Also, some of the recommended links are to what strike me as the nuttier sort of Californian alternative lifestyle stuff - but that might be down to my relatively serious European perspective, man.

Hope this gives you the gist of it - happy to answer any other questions you may have about it.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How much do those neuroendocrine tests cost here in California? We are nutty - once you realize that it's not a bad thing, your world will open up!

I would just as soon not make an attempt to build a defense so I can drink 'normal' again.

Bottle and the damage done. Ge milis am fìon, tha e searbh ri dhìol.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum

Thanks for sharing ...Candy has moved on
but perhaps others will be interested.

Good to see a new member
Old 01-15-2008, 11:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have heard of the hypoglycemic and alcoholism link. Is this true? I have always been curious to be tested for hypoglycemia. Maybe someone else has experienced these symptoms or know anything about them.
when I have not eaten: (I have experienced these since I was a kid)
trembling
sweating
tingleing lips and nose
dizziness
this one might sound weird and could never figure it out, but my right hand would tense up then my arm would want to curl up to my body and my neck starts to tense up. I have a history of diabetes in my family also.

I am pretty sure it wouldnt matter for me as far a my drinking goes, because I havent gotten to that point were enough is enough, but I am very curious about the subject.
Just being honest.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well...
as you are still drinking and with your history
of a diabetic family

I strongly suggest you speak with your doctor.

I was diagnosed diabetic years after I got sober
yes.... sweating...dizziness ...shaking and tingles
are what happens when
I don't watch my diet and neglect my meds.

Take care...we only go round once...
Old 01-15-2008, 12:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have a cure for not getting drunk..

"Just don't drink no matter what."
It works like a charm and it never fails.
Put my theory to test and let me know if you're doing right or not..lol

Now everyone send me $5 for that great bit of information. :rof
You can tried out my program for 30 days trial period to evauate it... before sending me the moola.

The second add on is only $5 too.
How to be happy....
Here's the instructions...

"Be happy no matter what"...this too has a 30 days trial period.

The third add on..is only $2 becuase, now you get a discount.lol
This one will change your life just the same. It's garantee to bring up your self-esteem.
Here's the instructions...

" Love yourself no matter what".....
if you're not satified...you don't have to send the moola.

Last edited by SaTiT; 01-15-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Candy Scratch View Post
Thanks for the congrats too. Day 3, here I come baby. I will NOT drink a drop today.
HI Candy Scratch,

Congrats on day three...

You can do this!:ghug2