Notices

Dealing With Intense Cravings

Old 08-29-2006, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing With Intense Cravings

How do you all deal with those cravings that seem to over take you and render you helpless?

I'm looking for new strategies - I've tried eating small meals throughout the day, drinking water, taking vitamins and supplments that are supposed to curb cravings, etc...

They just won't go away.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was told to keep raw honey with me and take a tablespoon anytime I felt like that. If honey wasn't handy then to grab a piece of chocolate. I've also been told (but haven't tried it personally) that chocolate ice cream is excellent for cravings because apparently the body processes ice cream much like it did alcohol. Also, get active, go for a walk, pick up the phone, do something to distract yourself until it goes away. I think Carol has said that she timed her cravings and they lasted about 7 minutes. Sounds reasonable to me.

I'm sure there will be others along with more suggestions. Hang in there and don't drink no matter what cause it will just make things worse!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 08-29-2006, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi...

In early recovery . I timed my cravings.
Mine were 5/7 minutes in duration.
I can overcome most things for that short time!

I took action during that space.
Brushing my teeth...eating a Lifesaver...drinking water
(notice the oral connection?)

The longer I stayed sober they lessened in both frequency and intensity.

Keep going forward...
Old 08-29-2006, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

Ditto to what Carol said, and quit using the word helpless, your not helpless at all just bugging so switch the thinking and time it like Carol said. Preoccupy your mind not your hands with something else.. it does get easier.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Gary,
One thing I always think of is that the craving will go away whether I do something about it or not. Breathe! Other things that have helped me - get out and do something physical; read or do something that involves your mind completely and you can't think; drink a cup of hot, really strong coffee - somehow the kick I get from that relieves the craving. Eating frequent small meals is good, but try to make sure you have complex carbohydrates and protein in your meals also.

Hang in there. It will get better. It WILL get better.

Candy Scratch
Old 08-29-2006, 04:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's 4 o'clock here in AZ and I'm struggling with that inner voice.

The hardest time of the day.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

That is a great time to find a meeting!

You Can Do This!
Old 08-29-2006, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gary2140
It's 4 o'clock here in AZ and I'm struggling with that inner voice.

The hardest time of the day.
Gary:

4:00 pm (here in AZ) is the hardest time of day for me, too. I guess that's because my drinking takes place, usually, between the hours of 4:00 pm and 7:00 pm. Renting and watching a movie helps, or better yet, going out to watch one. Eating always suppresses my urge for alcohol (not good for the waistline but you have to weigh your evils). Doing things with your kids if you have them is always good. Can't say any of these things work all the time, but some of the time they do.

Be kind to yourself. No matter what, you're a good person trying to overcome what can seem like too high of a mountain. Baby steps.

Kathy
Old 08-30-2006, 05:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Exercise is one of the best ways I have found to deal with any sort of cravings. Oxygen is a pretty good way to get high naturally and with a whole lot of benefit to the body, mind and how I feel about myself.

peace and love
Old 08-30-2006, 07:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My bad time was 4 to 7 as well. I always have a plan and start thinking about it at around that time - still am. So as soon as one would hit I'd start thinking about I have to get home, do the dishes, etc. That helped big time.

Also and I think sometimes you just have to sit with it and let it pass. Just a thought. Everyone has something different. I replaced wine with juice and club soda.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support.

I made it home with no alcohol. My wife is working nights as a nurse so it's just me and the dog.

I try to stay occupied.

Thanks Again.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I found some really relaxing teas that in some weird way substituted for my drinkypoo time... which at the end of my drinking was all day and all night.

There are some really good no caffeine teas out there. I became hooked on Tension Tamer and Peppermint mixed together. If I really was feeling uptight and outta my mind I'd have a double of Tension Tamer. anyway, I drank those teas solid for the first year of sobriety. They are soothing and it feels good to slurp on something. They're not bad iced either.