Notices

Attending a meeting while intoxicated

Old 07-31-2006, 08:20 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
is grateful

I wasn't drunk. I'd had two beers, and a friend said something to me and we laughed about it.

Yeah, like I said, AA didn't work for me. I respect that it does work for others who would otherwise die, however.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I stumbled on this thread by accident.

Divine intervention. This was our topic last night. A guy opened the meeting up by asking was it wrong for him to leave the meeting the night before because, the guy next to him reeked of alcohol?

You attend enough meetings, you'll see all types of behavior. I've been at a meeting and 2 guys and a woman walked in seemingly drunk. She dropped a bottle out of her pocket and it rolled across the floor.

2 other guys and myself 12 stepped a guy, poured his vodka down the drain and took him to a meeting.

I didn't know how to respond to the guy at the meeting last night. he was saying the smell made him want to throw up. To me, someone drunk at a meeting and not disruptive is exactly what I need to see. Don't we see ourselves in others? How often I wonder, did I not see myself drinking like a gentleman while drunk???

As long as someone intoxicated didn't become abusive and violent during the meeting , he's right where he's supposed to be. I can't fathom how tortured his soul could be feeling the need to be at a meeting drunk!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I'd say I see it close to once a month--and I don't go to a lot of meetings these days. It used to bother me when I was "new," but it doesn't anymore. You're right, zing. Someone who's intoxicated and chooses to be in a meeting must be in that kind of pain that booze can no longer numb.

I have, however, kept my eyes on the newcomers to see if they're rattled, then made sure someone, me or another person, speaks to them after the meeting. Sometimes, just a few words can be enough to keep that experience from being a trigger.

I've said it before--any meeting that does not accept the wet drunk is not, in my opinion, an AA meeting.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-09-2009, 06:17 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

The only problem that might arise is the new commer sitting in the meeting.

Not sure if, this would be a trigger for him or not!