Notices

Step 12

Old 04-19-2005, 10:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step 12

12-Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs

question: What's the message?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Hopefully after working your way through the steps, you would have learned compassion towards others. Found a humble heart. Experienced a spiritual birth or rebirth.
Learned what pride is and learned to keep it at home.

And in all you could have learned, you could use the newfound joy of life to share with others… There is hope. There is a way out. Recovery can happen.

But as I have seen from one or maybe two rude, prideful, obnoxious people…
Some learn the heart of the message and some just like being bullies with what they think they know. The later doesn’t have a clue what the message is, even though he may know the words on a page in a book.

Yes such people could make me want to puke… But I have learned to let go and leave them in God’s hands for only God can change their heart to a heart filled with compassion and love.
But that is just my experience with things as I have found them. I am sure the book would say different.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
whataday

Confusing question, but this might help, having had a spiritual awakening as the results of these steps, means you now have spiritual guidelines given to you by the 12 steps, suggesting that you may not of had these prior to the program, it doesn`t mean that you`ve become spiritual. Some of the grumpiest old men i know are in the program. Now aware of these guidelines, on how to live, since we did not know, is to try and pass them on to the still sick and suffering whoemever they shall be regardless of their sobriety time, whether they have one day or twenty years.

chris

P.S. god bless an inquisitive spirit as yours
Old 04-20-2005, 12:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ok

but in the 12th step where it says "this message"...

what's "this message"? in other words whats THE message the 12th step suggests that you carry?

"just dont drink and come to meetings"? Is that the message?
Old 04-20-2005, 12:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by best
Hopefully after working your way through the steps, you would have learned compassion towards others. Found a humble heart. Experienced a spiritual birth or rebirth.

And in all you could have learned, you could use the newfound joy of life to share with others… There is hope. There is a way out. Recovery can happen.

But as I have seen from one or maybe two rude, prideful, obnoxious people…
Some learn the heart of the message and some just like being bullies with what they think they know. The later doesn’t have a clue what the message is, even though he may know the words on a page in a book.

Yes such people could make me want to puke… But I have learned to let go and leave them in God’s hands for only God can change their heart to a heart filled with compassion and love.
But that is just my experience with things as I have found them. I am sure the book would say different.

..interesting
Old 04-20-2005, 02:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Ed

The message is that now you need to go to 90 in 90.

JOKES!!!!!

The message is the message of AA Best put it really nicely- no the message is definitely not *just* to attend meetings...although they do help...also you must not forget that going to meetings and SHARING your ESH as we do here, or just being there , well that's HELPING other alcoholics which is a key message in AA.

We get it by giving it away - we get to give it away (and/or get it) in AA meetings - NO, WE DON'T JUST RESERVE IT FOR AA MEETINGS...but as newcomers that's usually where we are at...we then progress to community work, etc but we can REALLY make a difference in meetings which is our first port of call.

AA meetings are incredibly powerful, and personally I do not think AA works without working it - ie one of the parts of working it is going to meetings.

Ed, I think I get what you are saying...is it that you see the place for AA meetings, but you are afraid that people will think that ALL they have to do is go and sit in a meeting??

Help us understand where you are coming from.

Thanks!
Cathy31
x
Old 04-20-2005, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dan

Seems to read as I've had a spiritual awakening because of the step work I do.
This, is the message.

A hundred alcoholics would probably come up with a hundred different ways of expressing the same thing.
I'm okay with that.
I have no power to dictate how one formulates his/her interpretation of service, nor how one does service, if at all.

I do, however, have the power to live a sobriety that conforms to what I need.
And if in the process, a newcomer who chooses to hang with me sees something that he/she may want, then the spiritual circle is once again closed.

Seems to be how it works in my life anyway.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Greatful Sober Biker

Ed, for me the mesage is that we let other Alcoholics know that there is a better way of life.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

I like the way Best put it.

Also, I believe they intended "this message" to be the 12 steps, and the principles which go along with them.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Message of hope.
Message of living a sober life IS possible.
Message of people are lovable.
Message that youre not alone.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Chy

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
Seems to read as I've had a spiritual awakening because of the step work I do.
This, is the message.
Seems fairly clear to me. Then again I read it as it is, not between the words, between the lines, and try to alter the semantics, that's just me though....something about keeping it simple.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
whataday

As a friendofbill has said, " It`s the messsage of hope."

chris

P.S. god bless
Old 04-20-2005, 03:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

LOL!!!! Cathy!!
Old 04-20-2005, 03:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EdLova
12-Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs

question: What's the message?

I think the message referred to is the 'spiritual awakening as a result of these steps'.

I think this is based on the three pertinent ideas.

I think the main, perhaps only, purpose of the big book was to 'show you precisely how we recovered' and it was hoped to provide you with a means to depend upon God of your own understanding.

I also think that we are all free agents. Entirely at liberty to accept or reject, wholly or in part anything anyone in AA presents. Anything the big book presents. Anything you present. I think that we are all free to resist any coercion. Free.

Question Ed. (you ducked the last one BTW.) Do you think the big book or the 12 steps are perfect? Divinely inspired? Could they now or ever be improved at all or are they not possible to be improved upon. Are they a final word on the subject and solution to alcoholism? Should every word and suggestion be followed without asking if this can be improved upon? What's your view, Ed?
Old 04-20-2005, 04:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A "spiritual awakening" doesn't only apply to "The Spirit" but also applies to "my spirit", my inner "soul" spirit and the changes that have taken place as a result of working the steps. As was said, 100 people could deliver 100 different messages. Trying to make "this message" one message is impossible, but it sure is a good opportunity to uncoil the old rope so we can start trying to....well, you know!
Old 04-20-2005, 04:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Dan

Music's going to uncoil.
Fair warning all.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

God could, and would, ***IF*** HE were sought.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
whataday

The program is not written in stone, the 12 steps, the program, was inspired by alcoholics guided by a power greater than themselves, even though this is the case it was still written by and for alcoholics, which suggests that it has it`s flaws. Everything i think i know is subject to revision, this keeps my mind from being closed, times have changed as well as the diversity of recovery which is our greatest strength. As our recovery grows so does our ability to change, with that change comes new ideas hence they have changed things in the program and book, hence we have new additions revised, thats where w.s.o. gets involved as to adapt with the times and spiritual growth of the combined efforts of millions of alcoholics who do reginal and area meetings for the common good of the whole, it`s not governed by one person or even the original authors, but continually addapted. It`s like when you went to school and learned about a particular thing in life or job and then when you get out in life you realize the book doesn`t cover everthing, that you learn to adapt and learn as you go along, the program is just the beggining, the basis or as it`s said, the foundation of your house, program. I hope this helps as it was tought me, it`s nothing i`ve said, just passed on to you.

chris

P.S. god bless
Old 04-20-2005, 11:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BikerBill8
Ed, for me the mesage is that we let other Alcoholics know that there is a better way of life.
is that the message that "this message" talks about?

no one has touched what the message is..what's the message?
not what "I think the message is", or "what he said the message was" or "what for me the message is"...

what is "THIS" message?

this...this is the message you carry in the 12th step..right here

the first 164 pages of this..that's it
Old 04-21-2005, 12:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You ducked my questions again Ed. lol. You could listen to Wilky and his two-way dialogue thing. Take care.