Old 03-12-2005, 12:24 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Paused

Can we go back to talking about lilacs?
Old 03-12-2005, 12:32 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
Sure there is...
Started off with a book I found on the net.
Now we're up to happiness generated within.
The lilacs sure are a visual tool to help one do so
Old 03-12-2005, 09:36 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
I've not read this book.
But I will.
Thought I'd throw it out here.

http://stayingsober.com/index.htm
Ok, I've downloaded it and read it. Very interesting from my non-AA perspective. I'll wait to discuss it until someone else has read it, then this meeting of the book club can begin.
Meanwhile...
lilacs like a neutral to slightly alkaline soil. Here in Northern California they just barely get enough chilling in the winter to bloom properly. Southern Californians have to take drastic measures: intentional water deprivation to induce flower buds, and then mulching with ice cubes in winter to provide the chilling requirement.
Swallowtail butterflies love them.
Don S
Old 03-12-2005, 09:39 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Hmmmmm.....
Maybe a "Flowers" only Forum would be a good idea.

:rose
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
lilacbloom.jpg (6.3 KB, 716 views)
Old 03-12-2005, 09:42 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Don S
Ok, I've downloaded it and read it. Very interesting from my non-AA perspective. I'll wait to discuss it until someone else has read it, then this meeting of the book club can begin.

Don S
I ordered mine, I think it last Tuesday.It should be here any day now.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:25 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Now, in our area the Western redbuds are right behind the lilacs and forsythias, blooming for the next couple of weeks....

Don S
Old 03-13-2005, 03:10 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Hmmmmm.....
Maybe a "Flowers" only Forum would be a good idea.
I agree with you 3Legacy, perhaps what we need is for Chy to put a "Friendly Reminder" here in the "Alcoholics Anonymous" forum, like the "Friendly Reminder" that they have in the "Alcoholism" forum.

In AA, we have a primary purpose, and its not lilacs, or book clubs. Of course if one were even remotely famililar with AA, then one would understand that WE have a Primary Purpose. The Preamble of AA and our Primary Purpose is respected because without those, then its just a group of individuals gathered together who forget where they come from.

Perhaps its time for a "Friendly Reminder" of AA's Preamble and our primary purpose here in the unofficial Alcoholics Anonymous forum with regard to having respect from those who wish to make the topic flowers, and book clubs. Because that is not what we do here in Alcoholics Anonymous.

THE AA PREAMBLE

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes.

Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:49 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Patsyd1

Perhaps its time for a "Friendly Reminder" of AA's Preamble and our primary purpose here in the unofficial Alcoholics Anonymous forum with regard to having respect from those who wish to make the topic flowers, and book clubs. Because that is not what we do here in Alcoholics Anonymous.

The topic of this thread Patsy is a book called 'Staying sober in AA'.
Deal with it or not.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:39 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

The topic of this thread Patsy is a book called 'Staying sober in AA'.
Deal with it or not.
Gee Dan, I am not sure what *Alcoholics Anonymous* meetings or gatherings are like where you live Dan. When was the last time IN Alcoholics Anonymous, was the topic Lilacs, flowers or books written by some person "about" AA?

WE do have a primary purpose Dan. You do remember OUR Primary Purpose IN Alcoholics Anonymous don't you Dan?
Old 03-13-2005, 06:42 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Dan

This is SoberRecovery Patsy.
Last time I checked anyway.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:50 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Dan

books written by some person "about" AA?
Psssst Patsy... the some person you mention...

An offspring of California drug culture, Rick A. survived as a medic in Vietnam, only to return to a life of alcoholism, drug addiction, and divorce. In 1986, after twenty-two years of addiction, he was finally able to get sober in the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous. After being a client and subsequently working as a counselor in one of the largest rehabs in the country, the author discovered why fewer alcoholics were staying sober in AA since the advent of the treatment industry over thirty years before. Now, as a sober member of AA for over sixteen years, he is living proof that, in spite of modern treatment myths, alcoholics can, and do, get well.

He's a member of AA.
Mind if we discuss his book Patsy?

Picture and bio source.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:53 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Well its seems that as part of SoberRecovery, they have made a forum called "Unofficial Alcoholics Anonymous Forum"

Even in the Unofficial Alcoholics Anonymous Forum, there is a Primary Purpose. You do remember AA's Primary Purpose, don't you Dan?

If the Alcoholics Forum has a "FRIENDLY REMINDER", then why not the "Unofficial Alcoholics Anonymous Forum"?

Especially since Lilacs, flowers and promoting books written "about" AA from any Tom, Dick or Harry, isn't OUR Primary Purpose here in Alcoholics Anonymous. Correct Dan?
Old 03-13-2005, 06:54 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Jon
But Very, Very Bruisable...

If the Womens Forum is for Women, the Mens for Men, A.C.A. for, well, ACA's, then the Alcoholics Anonymous forum is for AA.

Actually, forget the "if."

The description of this Forum has not changed in 4 years, 2 months.

It is an "Unofficial Alcoholics Anonymous Message Board."

Where, I would assume anyway, folks from places near and far would gather to share their experience, strength and hope in...yep....Alcoholics Anonymous.

Thanks in advance for your enthusiastic cooperation.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:57 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

He's a member of AA.
Mind if we discuss his book Patsy?
You and anyone else can choose to read his book, thats your right. He obviously doesn't get AA Traditions, because with his picture, and selling himself as an AA member to promote his book (about AA), has broken several AA Traditions.

THIS is the Alcoholics Anonymous Forum here at SR and the above is NOT what we do here IN Alcoholics Anonymous. You remember Our Primary Purpose don't you Dan?
Old 03-13-2005, 07:01 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Sorry Jon, I didn't see your message, before I hit send. lol
Old 03-13-2005, 07:10 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Dan

You remember Our Primary Purpose don't you Dan?
Care to go for asking me a fourth time Patsy?
One would hope to be able to discuss the experience of AA members in this forum. This person wrote a book about his experience, and his sister's experience. I'm halfway through it. Unlike what you probably believe, it is not a condemnation, but rather a validation of the program, in my opinion.
But the man dares to voice opinions that are not mainstream, for lack of a better word.
If by introducing this as a topic to this forum, I somehow broke the spirit of it's purpose, then I would welcome any and all appropriate action from the moderators.
But I don't think I did, and until I am told otherwise, I'll assume all is well.

One last thing Patsy.
It's nice to stop and smell the flowers once in a while.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:20 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

One last thing Patsy.
It's nice to stop and smell the flowers once in a while.
It may be nice to stop and smell the flowers once in a while Dan, and its NEVER a good thing to break AA's Traditions. This gentleman that you speak of did that blatantly.

This is a prime example of the good, being the enemy of the best. The best is when AA as a whole is respected, the Traditions are respected, and the AA members adhere to how AA as a whole, AA groups stay together in UNITY. You remember the Traditions don't you Dan? You remember how WE stay in Unity don't you Dan? You do remember our Primary Purpose don't you Dan?

Yes this gentleman who wrote this book simply forgot where he came from, how he got here and what its like now. I am a member of AA, and I know what happens when WE forget where we come from, how we got here, and what its like now. WE begin to "think" that our experience alone is special, that alone we are unique, and that we can simply break AA's Traditions like this author did. You remember the Traditions don't you Dan?

1 - Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon A.A. unity.

4 - Each group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or A.A. as a whole.

5 - Each group has but one primary purpose - to carry the message to the alcoholic who still suffers.

6 - An A.A. group ought never endorse, finance or lend the A.A. name to any related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property and prestige divert us from our primary purpose.

11 - Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio and films.

12 - Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:24 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Dan

Thanks for your opinion Patsy.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:26 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

The 12 Traditions is NOT my opinion, its HOW WE stay together in Unity. Perhaps that might be some good reading as an AA member? Now thats not an opinion, thats how WE stay together in Unity, Service, and Recovery.

You remember Unity, Service and Recovery don't you Dan?
Old 03-13-2005, 07:28 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Dan

I don't go for cheap bait anymore Patsy.
One of the gifts I found in AA.