Notices

Presenting a Sobriety Birthday Chip

Old 09-01-2021, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Presenting a Sobriety Birthday Chip

I have been asked by someone in the program to present his 13 year sobriety chip at the end of this month. I only have 6 weeks sober, but this person literally is the reason I am alive to type this today. However; I am extremely shy and have social anxiety. Can someone give me some tips on what I should say when I walk up there? I want to make him proud, because I AM very proud of him. But other than " My name is Renae and Im an alcoholic" and "Come get your chip" I have no idea how to articulate this. I even tried looking up videos online but couldnt find anything. Yes, Im an otherthinker too. No negative comments please.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
nez

this person literally is the reason I am alive to type this today.
Talk from your heart like you did in the quoted segment. Don't practice. Don't rehearse. Speak from your experience, strength, and hope; and how he has impacted your recovery. Be genuine. Be authentic. That is the best thing you can do for you and for others. It can't get any better than that.

Old 09-01-2021, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR renaenicole

D
Old 09-01-2021, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Nez. Speak from the heart..the words will come and be just right. What an honor to present the chip!
Old 09-01-2021, 07:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank y’all. Good advice.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

This might simplify it

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.Maya Angelou
Old 09-14-2021, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I've done all sorts of things to prepare for leads, telling my whole story, presenting chips, accepting chips.....etc. some work sometimes, they all have failed at one time or another. The one "tip" that has seemed to serve me the best has been to ask my HP for the willingness to talk, for the words that my HP would have me say, and they type of message my HP would like me to carry. .......then, I usually get nothing. lol. But, about the 2nd or 3rd work out of my mouth when I'm up there and still don't know what I'm going to say.......... something tends to enter my mind and off we go.

Planning specifically what to say has led to some of the most unpleasant "talks" I've given in the rooms of AA. Relying upon God to send me the willingness and the proper thoughts and going up there with a desire not to be impressive or to show anyone how special I am but instead with a desire to be honest, kind and loving..... things have seemed to work out pretty well.

best of luck to you Renae. Say a prayer and go for it.