Notices

Coffee at Evening AA Meetings?

Old 04-26-2020, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coffee at Evening AA Meetings?

Perhaps I am just sitting around with too much time on my hands but to me coffee at evening meetings seems like a waste. Most folks will not drink coffee late in the day and I see a lot of it getting poured out. Thoughts?
Old 04-26-2020, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Re: Coffee at Evening AA Meetings?

Yep. I agree.

You have too much time on your hands.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nez

If coffee can help one shaky newcomer to not drink alcohol, I think it is well worth the cost. I remember being a shaky newcomer. Now I am just a grumpy old timer that likes to drink coffee at night meetings. If it can help make me less grumpy, I think it is well worth the cost.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Thanks for a happy thread AAPJ. I had a good laugh from Bimini's comment. These days most of our meetings don't have coffee or any refreshments at the end of the meeting. It is almost like a race to get out the door. Some seem to treat it like an entitlement, one meeting - one coffee - get my money's worth and they have the coffee before the meeting. They are treating it like sustenance and seemed to have completely missed the fellowship aspect.
Our group has recently started serving refreshments after the meeting, coffee and a variety of teas. Fellowship is the point, and quite a few stay back to talk about whatever is one their mind or to listen to whatever is on someone's mind. The meeting after the meeting was my favorite bit, but some time ago most groups abandoned the practice - I never understood why. It is a lot cheaper than going to a cafe too.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A lot of meetings in the USA have people in a hurry too. Best meeting after the meeting for me is a Saturday morning men's meeting. Coffee is appreciated at this meeting!
Old 04-26-2020, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you read Not-God: A History of AA? Any book you haven't read?
Old 04-26-2020, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

most important job in AA is the coffee maker
never worry about pouring leftover coffee outjust have it ready 1/2 -1 hour before the meetingand the last thing cleaned up before turning out the lights and leaving
thats the way i was taught and I still love itany group that don`t do that don`t interest me muchI got a big mug now,at 8:33 pmprobally drink another after this
of course I drink good coffee,not that hair raising swill you younger folks try to drink
and
if a group uses a 100 cup pot,you are doing greatif a group uses a K cup machine,or less,you`re in trouble
Old 04-26-2020, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

I am English/Irish,so drink tea at meetings.A proper big mug of what we call builders tea.....strong.You can’t have to much of it.A mug on arrival,and a mug at half time.Â
Definitely the most important job tea/coffee maker.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

my hg was in a room with no access to such things, and we had mo storage. so people brought their own beverage if they wanted some.this was mostly a group of youngish people.one day, a guy older than me (i think i was the oldest in that metg) walked in, looked around, no hello, asked me grouchily”where’s the coffe??” “oh, hello, no coffee here”he was appalled: “how can you have an AA meeting without coffee?!?”“sit down and find out” i smiled.he did.after it was all over, he grumbled “that was alright” and was gone.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful

When I started going back to AA meetings at the beginning of my third attempt at getting sober, I decided to do things differently. Instead of showing up at 7:59PM (most of our evening meetings start at 8PM) I decided to volunteer to help the person setting up. In addition to setting up the chairs, literature and chips I set up the coffee pot and snacks (generally just some store bought cookies). So I reckon having coffee at evening meetings was quite beneficial for me regardless of how much of it people drank. I finally became part of the group instead of my normal inclination to "hover" around the edges of the fellowship. We had the old 100 cup, stainless steel pot and I usually brewed a half a pot. We probably averaged 30 people at that meeting and most of the pot was gone by the time we finished cleaning up after the meeting.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bring your own instant Decaf
Old 04-27-2020, 10:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

about my post # 7,I included a lot of kidding but I like Mikes home group way of doing things.I used to have a home group that did the same.
Down here in my area,most people want to run out the door the minute the meeting is over,and come in at the last minute.Eat during the meeting.I hate that,but thats just me
"Our group has recently started serving refreshments after the meeting, coffee and a variety of teas. Fellowship is the point, and quite a few stay back to talk about whatever is one their mind or to listen to whatever is on someone's mind. The meeting after the meeting was my favorite bit, but some time ago most groups abandoned the practice - I never understood why. It is a lot cheaper than going to a cafe too."
Old 04-28-2020, 07:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

With regards to hanging out after a meeting for me a lot depends on if there's a place to sit down. The meetings I attend have a table and some chairs set up outside.
Often if there's no area to sit and have coffee members will chat groups of 2 or 3 in the meeting room.
Which leaves out those who don't know the other members very well.
The person who is new to AA usually has a number of members talking to them immediately following the meeting so that's cover.
I generally get along with fellow AA members and if the conversation is about sports, weather, home/car repairs or anything not too controversial it's all good...
Not too interested in AA gossip or debating politics.