Notices

Group Inventory

Old 02-28-2020, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Group Inventory

Our Group is going to do an Inventory. It appears that I will be a leader in planning this. I looked online, and nothing clear popped up. How do your Groups do their Inventory?
Old 02-28-2020, 09:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Around here, it's not the same thing as the personal ie 4th step.

IT's about x number of specific items. Some can be housekeeping - ie, no phones, or keeping shares short.

It could be because enough members have brought up (to the chair or secretary) that bad behavior of some kind is going on. This happened in the last 6 mo at one large clubhouse where sexual activity was going on in one of the bathrooms.

It could be something that many feel strongly about (on both sides)as to whether to say the Lord's Prayer or the Serenity prayer at close/opening.

Generally majority rules.
Sometimes these can get testy bc while we are all adults we don't always act like it.

Some of the largest mtgs/clubhouses have them regularly, such as the 4th Sunday of every month.

Up to you to go or not.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Around here, it's not the same thing as the personal ie 4th step.

IT's about x number of specific items. Some can be housekeeping - ie, no phones, or keeping shares short.

It could be because enough members have brought up (to the chair or secretary) that bad behavior of some kind is going on. This happened in the last 6 mo at one large clubhouse where sexual activity was going on in one of the bathrooms.

It could be something that many feel strongly about (on both sides)as to whether to say the Lord's Prayer or the Serenity prayer at close/opening.

Generally majority rules.
Sometimes these can get testy bc while we are all adults we don't always act like it.

Some of the largest mtgs/clubhouses have them regularly, such as the 4th Sunday of every month.

Up to you to go or not.

A big thing here is absolutely no smoking inside or in front of the clubhouse.

Also keep the kitchen, bathrooms and meeting area clean.

Today, a member is paid to come by once a week and take care of the cleaning.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

.here,a group inventory is mainly focused on the traditions.It is usually facilitated by a outside member who is experienced in the service structure of the Area
We have did them before and it pumped energy into our group

http://www.delawareaa.org/images/Tra..._Checklist.pdf

here is a good example

the only problems with group invntorys we have had are our failure to follow up on what we find
Old 02-28-2020, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

^Both of those are good points and helpful info
Old 02-29-2020, 04:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

We use the 12 Traditions (long and short forms) and discuss whether or not our group is meeting these and if not, what can we do about things. It's usually at least half a day spent at someone's home with good food.....we do this about once a year.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow!That's extensive!

Ours are typically right after a meeting. everynone's told/reminded when it will be and our secretary leads. The applicable readings such as the traditions would be done. It's nothing fancy nor meant to be a social time, rather to GSD.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks! There was one other person at the committee meeting, and he found a section on group inventories in the AA brochure on "Groups." He said this is the standard format for group inventories, but in the past other formats were used, including the questions about Traditions that Tommyh posted.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

some groups have group business meetings monthly,group conscience meetings whenever nessacery,and group inventories yearly or so
Old 03-01-2020, 05:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've never been to one with only 2 people, but I wouldn't think 2 people alone could qualify to enact any change to a meeting.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I've never been to one with only 2 people, but I wouldn't think 2 people alone could qualify to enact any change to a meeting.
Oh, this was just a committee meeting to plan the inventory. We'll make a presentation at the next business meeting, and plan for a good attendance at the actual inventory (offering food helps...).
Old 03-02-2020, 03:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I go to a lot of AA meetings and while I have seen many short group conscience meetings which generally take place right after the regular meeting to discuss 1-2 matters for a vote I have never even heard of a group inventory. In our area group conscience meetings are generally announced two weeks before the meeting to give everyone notice.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Is a meeting good or bad? Healthy or not?

Often the answers are subjective.

What's that old AA saying? To start a new meeting all you need is a resentment and a pot of coffee.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

We have quite a few meetings like that. In a sense they do not even qualify as a functioning AA group and without the two who show up for the conscience meeting, the meeting would not exist at all. Someone has to pay the rent and open the room.

If you went by the tradition 3 long form, it only requires two alcoholics to form a group. It could be argued that these two are the group, and all the rest merely visitors.

It is an interesting phenomenon, folks that are visitors to all groups and members of none. They are here for a while, then gone, and nobody notices.