Notices

AA Meeting/group Type question

Old 09-19-2019, 12:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Meeting/group Type question

Hi,

I’m just wondering what a Harmony Group is and if it is suitable for newcomers to AA? My googling was unsuccessful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It may just be the name of that particular group?

D
Old 09-19-2019, 02:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

From my experience that's just the name of the group. No matter what the name of the group or the focus of the group newcomers are welcome. The only separation I have seen is that perhaps 10% of all meetings are single sex meetings. That's the only real filter I have seen regarding AA meetings.

Also most folks who attend meetings do not choose them because of content they choose them because they are closest to their home or work. It's mostly geographic. Am I going to drive 45 minutes each way to the next town for an AA Step Meeting or just go the Big Book meeting that is a 10 minute drive from my home? For me and most of the people I have met the closer meeting is the choice. YMMV.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As mentioned above, you’ll be welcome and the most important person at the meeting! I hope you go! Wishing you the best!
Old 09-19-2019, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the information, good to know that most people pick a meeting based on proximity. This meeting is ridiculously close to me- as in a block away- and why I wanted to go to it. My thinking was that it might be for musicians or for those with years of sobriety.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

It's a name so we can identify each group (usually in a "Where and When" type pamphlet--listing all of the meetings). Harmony. Harmony Group. Nice and smooth!
Old 09-19-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ceedaily View Post
Thanks for the information, good to know that most people pick a meeting based on proximity. This meeting is ridiculously close to me- as in a block away- and why I wanted to go to it. My thinking was that it might be for musicians or for those with years of sobriety.
Nope. Mostly likely just folks who don't want to drink, no matter how long it's been since their last.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
From my experience that's just the name of the group. No matter what the name of the group or the focus of the group newcomers are welcome. The only separation I have seen is that perhaps 10% of all meetings are single sex meetings. That's the only real filter I have seen regarding AA meetings.

Also most folks who attend meetings do not choose them because of content they choose them because they are closest to their home or work. It's mostly geographic. Am I going to drive 45 minutes each way to the next town for an AA Step Meeting or just go the Big Book meeting that is a 10 minute drive from my home? For me and most of the people I have met the closer meeting is the choice. YMMV.
Yeah, there's an AA clubhouse less than a 10 min. drive from my house. I usually attend the 8 pm. meeting.

There's another 8 pm meeting but it's much further away. I've been to this meeting before and it's a good group.

However, I can pull out of my garage at 7:55 and get to the closer meeting just as it starts.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

often, meeting names here are a phrase from the big book.
happy destiny
how it works
on awakening
a new happiness
trudgers
Old 09-22-2019, 01:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The word harmony only appears once in the Big Book, on page 61. If that is the context of the meeting, it should be a pretty good one!
Old 10-01-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ceedaily View Post
...I’m just wondering what a Harmony Group is.....
In Los Angeles, where you are, the Harmony Group requires that everyone sing the Serenity prayer to start the meeting, then break up into three sub-groups at the end to sing the Lord's Prayer.

Auto-tune is available for the vocally impaired.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
Yeah, there's an AA clubhouse less than a 10 min. drive from my house. I usually attend the 8 pm. meeting.

There's another 8 pm meeting but it's much further away. I've been to this meeting before and it's a good group.

However, I can pull out of my garage at 7:55 and get to the closer meeting just as it starts.
I'm definitely in the convenience camp. My 2 most frequented meetings are literally 30 seconds and 3 minutes from my house.

I'd like to go to the AA clubhouse one day, but it's on the complete opposite side of town. There are at least a half dozen other meetings between me and the clubhouse. Maybe one day I'll finally check it out. I hear people go and just hang out, stand outside and smoke, just socialize an not always participate in the meetings.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
I'm definitely in the convenience camp. My 2 most frequented meetings are literally 30 seconds and 3 minutes from my house.

I'd like to go to the AA clubhouse one day, but it's on the complete opposite side of town. There are at least a half dozen other meetings between me and the clubhouse. Maybe one day I'll finally check it out. I hear people go and just hang out, stand outside and smoke, just socialize an not always participate in the meetings.
My Group/ club is 7 minutes from my house and they open the doors at 0600 am and lock up around 11 pm each evening. There’s always someone around I stop in all the time shoot the gab, have a cup of coffee and take off..

Every Tuesday we have outside speaker meetings where people come from other local groups to speak. Thursday nights we have an in-house speaker. You get to know all the members and we have a group Birthday night the last Sunday of the month and it’s a big pot luck deal, a lot of fun!!

Wonderful you have something so close!! Wishing you the best
Old 10-02-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That would be a nice convenience to have. I just can't muster up the desire to drive 25-30 minutes to the absolute worst part of town to get to the clubhouse lol.