Notices

Is AA a cult ?

Old 08-04-2019, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is AA a cult ?

“is AA a cult?” That’s what lady in my group asked. And no one responded . I’ve sometimes asked myself if AA was a cult and others have too. What do you guys think?
Old 08-04-2019, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's so many vast and varied opinions on AA from AA members themselves - thats not the hallmark of a cult.

I'd spend less time worrying about isolated opinions Realest.

D
Old 08-04-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Of course not!
Old 08-04-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I heard that asked in a meeting once and a lady spoke up who had been in a cult. She was horrified at the idea. She had truly suffered trying to get free from that cult. From what I understand of cults, AA is a far cry from it.

For one thing, they are too loosely organized. You can leave at any time. They don't demand money. (Passing around a basket into which you can toss a dollar in if you like isn't really demanding.) You can come and go as you please. Although certain members might have strong opinions, that's not the same thing as being under the sway of someone like a real cult leader.

I haven't been to a meeting in a long time and no one's been stalking me, trying to get me to go back.

Real cults can be terrifying, from what I've read. (Although they seem benign at first, of course.) I wouldn't use that term lightly (nor am I suggesting you are).

It's a question that gets thrown around occasionally, so it's definitely worth addressing!
Old 08-04-2019, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
There's so many vast and varied opinions on AA from AA members themselves - thats not the hallmark of a cult.

I'd spend less time worrying about isolated opinions Realest.

D
i am starting a discussion. It’s interesting.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

if you go to ‘search’, then ‘advanced search’, then put ‘aa cult’ in the keywords, you will find a few older threads pop up.
most of them got locked. sigh.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Realest View Post

i am starting a discussion. It’s interesting.
The thread title is also a highly controversial one. And most times "discussions" about subjects such as this end up as arguments - which are not allowed here. And as others have mentioned similar threads end up getting locked because of said arguments - so please be mindful of your responses everyone.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

no cult here
Old 08-04-2019, 08:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have known some very opinionated AA members but that doesn't make AA a cult. You are free to disregard those with whom you disagree. The program itself is "suggested", not forced on anyone. The 'religious' aspect of it is due to some members who are very religious. The AA program itself is not religious, but spiritual.

I attended meetings my first year sober and never saw any evidence it was a cult., just a program that's very important to some members.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think it's what secular people like to call it. To be honest, fiercely secular and atheistic people, who can be just as closed-minded, get on my nerves far more than religious or spiritual people. The crux is I think you aren't the centre of the universe and there are higher powers than you, which sometimes ties neatly into peoples' powerlessness over controlling addiction.

Guess what, there are higher powers than you, and I doubt some humility does any bad. A volcano is a higher power: you wouldn't want to get in a fight with it! Let alone the things science hasn't even discovered.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

if it is, its the largest cult everyone is free to walk away from at any time.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No
Old 08-05-2019, 10:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

“is AA a cult?” That’s what lady in my group asked. And no one responded . I’ve sometimes asked myself if AA was a cult and others have too. What do you guys think?
No I don't find AA to be a cult. However, I can understand why some people feel this way as there are members/groups which (imo) display cult like behavior.

But to be clear this is not the norm.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by FreshStartOk View Post
I think it's what secular people like to call it. To be honest, fiercely secular and atheistic people, who can be just as closed-minded, get on my nerves far more than religious or spiritual people. The crux is I think you aren't the centre of the universe and there are higher powers than you, which sometimes ties neatly into peoples' powerlessness over controlling addiction.

Guess what, there are higher powers than you, and I doubt some humility does any bad. A volcano is a higher power: you wouldn't want to get in a fight with it! Let alone the things science hasn't even discovered.
I think I'm one of those people.

To me the question is meaningless. What's more important to me is...does it work to keep some people sober?

And that's a yes.

It doesn't work for me, probably because, again, I'm one of those people. But I'm not going to call it a "cult" just because it ain't my thing.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

after leaving AA and experiencing both sides of the coin I do not believe AA is a cult but it sure has some cult like members who have some very strong opinions
Old 08-05-2019, 12:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

after leaving AA and experiencing both sides of the coin I do not believe AA is a cult but it sure has some cult like members who have some very strong opinions
So I just have to ask...

I went to AA for a while in the beginning of my sobriety. I agree that some members have some strong opinions, but reading this post of yours combined with all the other threads you've made in the 12 Step forum leads me to believe that you have a beef with AA.

Is that what all of this is about? Because really, I've found that holding on to this kind of resentment isn't something helpful for my sobriety.

There is a whole Secular section of Sober Recovery where they don't even allow 12 Step discussions, and the Newcomers section doesn't allow arguments over recovery methods. Maybe you would be more comfortable there. No sense beating a dead horse.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
So I just have to ask...

I went to AA for a while in the beginning of my sobriety. I agree that some members have some strong opinions, but reading this post of yours combined with all the other threads you've made in the 12 Step forum leads me to believe that you have a beef with AA.

Is that what all of this is about? Because really, I've found that holding on to this kind of resentment isn't something helpful for my sobriety.

There is a whole Secular section of Sober Recovery where they don't even allow 12 Step discussions, and the Newcomers section doesn't allow arguments over recovery methods. Maybe you would be more comfortable there. No sense beating a dead horse.
No I don’t have beef or a resentment I was in AA then I left. I didn’t leave because I didn’t like it or thought it was bad I left on my own terms. However there are some members who think they’re an authority justbecause they haven’t had a drink in years. They think they’re experts are things. And they go to meetingseveryday and if you don’t go to meetings everyday then you’re gonna drink.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Every group in the world has people who have varying views. You will find people right here on SR that feel that "their way" is the best way and won't listen to what others have to say, and not just those that are part of 12 -step programs.

I would also remind you of my previous post regarding argumentative posts about particular recovery methods. I suggest you accept that some people feel differently about things than you do and move on to a different discussion.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Every group in the world has people who have varying views. You will find people right here on SR that feel that "their way" is the best way and won't listen to what others have to say, and not just those that are part of 12 -step programs.

I would also remind you of my previous post regarding argumentative posts about particular recovery methods. I suggest you accept that some people feel differently about things than you do and move on to a different discussion.
That’s true. We can still discuss it if you want
Old 08-05-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That’s true. We can still discuss it if you want
You are correct, discussion is welcome here. As long as that's what continues to happen it's no problem at all.