Notices

Sometimes I think AA is too spiritual

Old 06-15-2019, 07:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I can go to a meeting and talk all that God stuff or come in here and do the same, but if I don`t go out an seek others to help, it is nill as far as I am concerned

old AA saying

some people get so dang spiritual they are of no earthly use whatso ever

put our heads in the clouds all we want,but I must remember to keep my feet firmly planted on the ground,thats where the work/living is
Old 06-16-2019, 06:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
but if I don`t go out an seek others to help,is
And that is the actual spiritual practice. "Faith without works is dead" "For if an alcoholic failed to perfect and enlarge his spiritual life through work and self-sacrifice for others, he could not survive the certain trials and low spots ahead."
Old 06-19-2019, 04:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Realest View Post
I am not wrong I am simply pointing out that people in recovery stress the spiritual angle too freely and lose focus on not drinking a day at a time.
Like it or not, the AA program is about growing spiritually. It's not about not drinking one day at a time. Finding a power you can live by - that's what the program is all about. Now, there's certainly nothing wrong with your higher power being centered on the moment - there are spiritual disciplines made for that line of thinking (Buddhism).

I actually hated that saying, "One day at a time" when I first got sober because I had woken up hungover for so many years saying "I'm not going to drink today" only to drink again a few hours later.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pagekeeper View Post
Like it or not, the AA program is about growing spiritually. It's not about not drinking one day at a time. Finding a power you can live by - that's what the program is all about.
even says so in the BB:
Lack of power, that was our dilemma. We had to find a power by which we could live, and it had to be a Power greater than ourselves. Obviously. But where and how were we to find this Power?

Well, that's exactly what this book is about. Its main object is to enable you to find a Power greater than yourself which will solve your problem.

what problem? the problem with alcohol.

also says,in different ways, life isnt about not drinking one day at a time:
the problem has been removed.

theres quite a few places the BB addresses both of those- that the program is about finding a higher power and that the program isnt about not drinking one day at a time. theres promises for every step and none of them talk about not drinking one day at a time.

a person that has gone through the steps and has had a spiritual awakening yet still not drinking one day at a time still has an alcoholic mind.

know god
know peace
no god
no peace.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:53 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

"Stress the spiritual feature freely". That's what it says on page 93, Working With Others. Then on page 44: "If that be the case, you may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer."

In terms of AA recovery model it would seem that spiritual matters are at the top of the agenda, at least in the experience of those who went before.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

p45
main object is to enable the suffer to find a power greater than their self that will solve their problem
I had to try to separate the spiritual from religious and let loose of my old ideas, once I did that,I started growing spiritually
Old 06-19-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Sound like your healing. It was in the rooms where I began to understand what resentments were and eventually how to address them.

As far as spirituality is concerned, here's what Bill's thought were. I had to look it up.

As Bill Sees It

Spiritual Kindergarten, p. 95

"We are only operating a spiritual kindergarten in which people are enabled to get over drinking and find the grace to go on living to better effect. Each man's theology has to be his own quest, his own affair."

Keep coming back