Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism-12 Step Support
Reload this Page >

How to forgive and accept being raised in a dysfunctional family

Notices

How to forgive and accept being raised in a dysfunctional family

Old 06-03-2019, 08:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I grew up with a mother who got drunk every night.

I would beg her to stop, but she never did it and never sought help.

My dad (my stepdad, who had legally adopted me) didn't have the backbone to intervene and protect his children.

He was a very creditable drinker himself and, more importantly, he was maladapted to life generally.

He was good at the part of being a parent who required hard work and diligent studying (thank, God, I certainly needed that prodding), but he lacked the nurturing gene.

He didn't lead by example in much of anything, except hard work.

He was a hot-head - always angry about something, in disputes with our neighbors, etc.

I forgave them (in my mind) after I had been sober a while.

My mother actually apologized at some point.

They're dead now and the only time I think about them is in rather frequent dreams which involve confrontations with them.

Were they doing their best?

I just don't know, but I have let it go.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
I grew up with a mother who got drunk every night.

I would beg her to stop, but she never did it and never sought help.

My dad (my stepdad, who had legally adopted me) didn't have the backbone to intervene and protect his children.

He was a very creditable drinker himself and, more importantly, he was maladapted to life generally.

He was good at the part of being a parent who required hard work and diligent studying (thank, God, I certainly needed that prodding), but he lacked the nurturing gene.

He didn't lead by example in much of anything, except hard work.

He was a hot-head - always angry about something, in disputes with our neighbors, etc.

I forgave them (in my mind) after I had been sober a while.

My mother actually apologized at some point.

They're dead now and the only time I think about them is in rather frequent dreams which involve confrontations with them.

Were they doing their best?

I just don't know, but I have let it go.
Ever since sobriety I have been analyzing and comparing to other families. My parents didn’t drink or do drugs, worked two jobs, my mom was angry sometimes,and they always supported me. But we really didn’t talk about our feelings . I guess I’m being selfish wanting them to be more talkative about their feelings. But really I couldn’t have asked for better parents,

I know parents who let their kids drink at 11 that’s terrible parenting. I couldn’t forgive that.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

It's been a lifelong process for me.

Not only that, complex trauma is a thing. We think trauma is from a big event, like an accident or being in war or almost drowning. Or a series of events that are identifiable, like physical or sexual or even severe emotional abuse.

Complex trauma is more like a thousand tiny cuts rather than a slashing wound. In my case it stemmed from many causes, mostly that the rest of my family are very similar to each other and function well together, and I was always the odd one out. My father was also emotionally abusive for a lot of reasons, not the least because of my sexuality, but there was far more to it than that. My sibling and mother enabled him. I've forgiven my father, and my work in therapy enabled me to speak to my brother about my resentments to he and my mother for leaving me in the cold with my father's abuse. He told me something I didn't know, that when I was about 8-9 my mother confronted my father and told him that if he didn't become kinder to me, she was going to leave him. Wish I'd known that years ago, and this knowledge helped me to forgive them as well.

I believe that the 4th Step can go a long way towards healing family trauma, but the addiction guru that ran my treatment program felt that the best way to heal these kinds of wounds is one on one psychodynamic therapy. My experience agrees with this 100%.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
It's been a lifelong process for me.

Not only that, complex trauma is a thing. We think trauma is from a big event, like an accident or being in war or almost drowning. Or a series of events that are identifiable, like physical or sexual or even severe emotional abuse.

Complex trauma is more like a thousand tiny cuts rather than a slashing wound. In my case it stemmed from many causes, mostly that the rest of my family are very similar to each other and function well together, and I was always the odd one out. My father was also emotionally abusive for a lot of reasons, not the least because of my sexuality, but there was far more to it than that. My sibling and mother enabled him. I've forgiven my father, and my work in therapy enabled me to speak to my brother about my resentments to he and my mother for leaving me in the cold with my father's abuse. He told me something I didn't know, that when I was about 8-9 my mother confronted my father and told him that if he didn't become kinder to me, she was going to leave him. Wish I'd known that years ago, and this knowledge helped me to forgive them as well.

I believe that the 4th Step can go a long way towards healing family trauma, but the addiction guru that ran my treatment program felt that the best way to heal these kinds of wounds is one on one psychodynamic therapy. My experience agrees with this 100%.
i was never abused or experienced trauma from someone , but I have trauma from my past going through alcoholism and dealing with mental health. Anyone who drinks alcohoically is experience trauma.