Notices

Beginning my relationship with God

Old 04-17-2019, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beginning my relationship with God

The focus of my sobriety has been continually changing as I keep making progress. At first I was simply trying to not die while detoxing after quitting cold turkey. After the hell that was withdrawal I outlined a holistic approach to early recovery to help me get my life back on track. Physical, mental, emotional, social, financial, and spiritual goals were all on my list. I'll admit that the spiritual goals weren't prioritized because my main concern was building a stable life first so I wouldn't be tempted to relapse.

While that was going on I had to deal with the hell that was PAWS with the turbulent mood swings and wild bouts of horrible depression. That finally subsided around January and progressively I'm finding myself more and more feeling an inner peace and tranquility.

On the morning on Sunday April 14th I awoke on my second sober birthday. I was well rested and feeling happy, a feeling that I never had until 40 years of my life had passed. Before I got up I was laying there just thinking of how much I've progressed in such a short period of time. I felt something...this was beyond the limits of what a mere mortal is capable of. Let alone a drunk like me. God had saved me.

I want Year 3 of sobriety to focus on God, what He has done for me, and what He means to me. If anybody has related personal stories or advice I would love to hear it.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a great story to read first thing in the morning.

When I first got sober I would cringe at the word God and only write the g in lower case. Today I know that my life has purpose and I just need to keep handing my life over. I keep going back to the promises and how my needs not my wants are being fulfilled .
I recently lost my job and I am now in a most beautiful peaceful place, surrounded my a menagerie of animals. I am working to restore a most stunning garden.

What a journey!

CaiHong
Old 04-17-2019, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

All the best. Here's my experience.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...xperience.html (Having had a spiritual experience)
Old 04-17-2019, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow thank you Awuh1! I enjoyed reading the entire thread.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by WeThinkNot View Post
I want Year 3 of sobriety to focus on God, what He has done for me, and what He means to me. If anybody has related personal stories or advice I would love to hear it.
Great post WTN. I guess for me there are two things. The first is I try to keep the covenant I made with God in the third step prayer. That means I go to meetings and give the credit for my sobriety to Him, and try to be an example of His love, His Power, and His way of life.

The second would be to try and lead a God directed life through the daily (sometimes more than once a day with step 10) practice of steps ten, eleven, and twelve. I have found that while I feel grateful for all He has done, the real evidence of that seems only to come through action. Faith without works is dead.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the wonderful post and kudos to you regarding your 2 year birthday recently, that’s a huge milestone!

Thanks, Cali & Mike, love your replies and all the others.. great topic to get my day going!
Old 04-18-2019, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job, WTN, and a great objective for the 3rd year of your recovery.

I spend my day trying to learn and do God's will for me (Step 11).

The harder I work at my vertical relationship (with God), the more harmonious my horizontal ones (with others) become.