SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism-12 Step Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism-12-step-support/)
-   -   18 Months Sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism-12-step-support/436251-18-months-sober.html)

AtomicBlue 02-11-2019 05:14 PM

18 Months Sober

18 months ago today I believe God (Christian God for me) answered the prayer I had made a month earlier saying I’m all in, I hand my life over to him, and want to quit drinking completely. I believe he knew I’d need one last failed attempt at drinking in moderation to give me all the evidence I needed to know that I couldn’t control it anymore, and to feel enough shame and regret to finally seek help.

That day, hungover me contacted a 12 step treatment center and soon started outpatient treatment there which lasted 7 months. I started AA soon after starting treatment and continue to this day. I worked the 12 steps honestly with a sponsor and continue to work them today.

I want to mention the improvements that have happened in my life. Not to brag, but to show others how much quitting drinking can improve a person’s life. These aren’t all guaranteed to happen to everyone, nor in the same timeline. But, have hope!

Lost 30lbs, no longer overweight.
Was able to quit smoking.
Blood pressure went from prehypertension to normal.
Heart palpitations have almost disappeared.
I enjoy the small things in life again.
Anxiety has diminished significantly.
Depression is gone.
No longer feel tired all the time/much more energy.
Have hope for the future.
Increased confidence.
Much better spiritual connection with God.
Improved relationships.
The list could go on, but the icing on the cake is-I’m newly blessed with a baby that absolutely would have never happened had I continued drinking.
Thank you God!!!

My life isn’t all roses. Life still happens and things don’t always go my way. I’m still working on patience, anger, some anxiety and resentments that pop up. However, I can deal with these things much better sober in recovery.

To everyone still out there suffering I hope you can find it in yourselves to make that leap and give yourself a chance for your best possible life.

Dee74 02-11-2019 06:06 PM

Congratultions AB :)

D

H379 02-11-2019 06:14 PM

Congratulations on 18 months.

Gottalife 02-11-2019 06:35 PM

Congratulations AB, you might be onto something. I followed the same plan and celebrated 39 years last Sunday.

fini 02-11-2019 07:13 PM

congratulations, AB, and Gottalife.

Dave42001 02-11-2019 10:04 PM

Congrats, AB!! Thanks for sharing! Huge milestone, keep it up!

Gottalife, Happy Birthday, Mike! Thanks for always sharing your wisdom.. Huge!

snitch 02-11-2019 11:25 PM

That is just amazing to read. Congratulations on your 18 months!

I totally identify with your story. I feel the same. 9 and a half months ago after my worse binge ever, I feel I was saved by God so I could get sober and God has been with me every step of the way.

We really are so blessed aren't we??

Thank you for sharing .

Tommyh 02-12-2019 04:31 AM

congradulations Atomic and Mike,good job!

Redmayne 02-12-2019 06:46 AM

Excellent!

Excellent post, congratulations and thank you...:thanks

5329guy 02-12-2019 10:16 AM

Such an inspiring post AtomicBlue, thanks for sharing it!! Congratulations on your progress and good work. :c011:

CaiHong 02-12-2019 10:35 AM

Good on you and thanks for sharing a very positive experience

CaiHong

PhoenixJ 02-12-2019 11:16 AM

sure does make a diff not drinking

game changer for me

congrats

well done

Liveher 02-12-2019 11:24 AM

Congrats! Thank you so much for this post. As a newcomer, it really makes me feel hopeful. Congrats on your baby. That’s one of my true regrets in my life. My addiction really kept me in a persistent procrastination around starting a family, not to mention I’m sure I did some major imbalancing to my hormones. Now it’s too late. It warms me to think that you were able to do this for yourself. xx

SoberCAH 02-12-2019 02:24 PM

Great job on your sober time, AB, and thanks a lot for sharing this enriching post.

As the saying goes, a good thing share is doubled and a bad thing share is cut in half.

And thanks for all of your continued wisdom, Gotta, and congrats on your remarkable accomplishment.

AtomicBlue 02-13-2019 05:57 AM

Snitch-You bet! Good work on 9 months. I think quitting drinking is a prayer God likes to answer.

Liveher-Keep at it. I’m definitely lucky to have quit when I did and before my bottom got any lower. That being said I do have regrets and many missed opportunities due to alcohol. One thing we can do though is stop wasting the rest of our precious time on earth with drinking!

Thank You Everyone!

CaiHong 02-13-2019 11:04 AM

Hi Atomic Blue,

While I am reading Sober Recovery I am also watching a DVD by Richard Rohr,
How Do We Breathe Underwater.
Its so fascinating and resonates with me that I put it on pause as I go about my morning rituals as I want to absorb all of what he is saying.
I felt compelled to make you aware of him if you already weren't.

I hope you get something from it.
CaiHong

dsmaxis10 02-13-2019 03:31 PM

congrats amazing progress atomicblue

AtomicBlue 02-13-2019 05:37 PM

CaiHong-I wasn’t aware of the work. It looks very interesting! I’ll check it out. Thank You!

snitch 02-15-2019 04:14 PM

Oh and a massive congratulations on your new baby. Sober parenting....what a beautiful gift ♥️♥️