Notices

What’s the best way to tell your story in an AA meeting

Old 02-03-2019, 04:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
As far as preparing to give a speech I write out it out. Not necessarily word for word but key points to ensure I stay on track.

Roughly 40-45 minutes is what I aim for.

What I do is practice at home and then bring the speech with me up to the podium. This allows me to look down from time to time and stay on target.

I gave my first speech at the 1-yr mark and it was only about 20 minutes at most. I don't feel comfortable just winging it.

Some people have a natural flair for giving a good presentation but many do not.

A bit of presentation on my part keeps the speech moving and the room listening.
I think these are good ideas but for some reason I have picked up the idea that using notes is bad form. I don't know why that would be other than perhaps some around AA feel that just start blabbering whatever you like, and someone will hear what they need to.

My own practice is to take on board some of the suggestions in "Working with Others" and consider how best to approach this audience and what particular parts of my story might be useful. Be beginning either speaking or sharing I like to pray that God will help me say something that will be useful to someone.

To be helpful is our only aim.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think he was taught that in an AA meeting to present a happy face at all times along with a positive/upbeat message.

The man is in his late fifties and is basically lost. The only life he's ever known are rooms of AA.
Why is he basically lost?
Old 02-03-2019, 08:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Realest View Post
Why is he basically lost?
His life appears completely AA centered. Not sure he knows how to establish non-AA relationships. His identity appears wrapped in being an "old-timer."

But here's the kicker: I don't think he's actually an alcoholic. His story is weird and vague. Something about a doctor questioning his brother's drinking habits and this guy then deciding he needed AA.

His story mentions the camaraderie and a feeling of belong after joining AA.

To play armchair shrink I think he found in the rooms what he lacked outside be it family or friends.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I`ve probally told my story 500 times
a few things I try to do

I always pray first
I tell the truth
and don`t try to be somebody behind the podium I ain`t
I start with my first drunk and go from there to where I got to AA and why I got to AA
then I usually share what life is like today,sober using the tools AA gave me

leave it at the podium when you are done

feel free to mention depression but do not dwell on it

in my home group step meeting,every week someone shares 20 minutes,5 minutes qualifying,15 minutes on the step

tonight I rode to a speaker meeting,a lady sober 6 months talked,she did pretty good
Old 02-03-2019, 08:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

second set of directions in the BB for telling your story

brought to my attention by a lady in AA
from There is a Solution,first edition
Each individual, in the personal stories, describes in his own language and from his own point of view the way he established his relationship with God.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

His life appears completely AA centered. Not sure he knows how to establish non-AA relationships. His identity appears wrapped in being an "old-timer."

But here's the kicker: I don't think he's actually an alcoholic. His story is weird and vague. Something about a doctor questioning his brother's drinking habits and this guy then deciding he needed AA.

His story mentions the camaraderie and a feeling of belong after joining AA.

To play armchair shrink I think he found in the rooms what he lacked outside be it family or friends.
That’s strange differed strokes for different folks
Old 02-05-2019, 05:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

So I is there a proper or improper way to tell my experience strength and hope. I fell like I have two stories because I was drinking then got sober for two years then relapsed then I’m now sober for a year. My story is very long and painful to tell. So many bad things happened. Hospitals, other bad stuff. What’s the best way to tell your story?

I want to be honest of course but I don’t want to tell everyone about every detail of my life.
An AA friend pointed out to me that the big book says we tell our story in a general way. I appreciated that.

As others mentioned, we talk about what it was like, what we did to recover, and what life is like now.

I find that those stories that had way more emphasis on what it was like did not help people as much as hearing what they did to recover and what life is like now. We all know what it was like. Our stories are all the same even though the details are different.

I hope once again I didn't p*ss you off here.... Seriously I'm trying to help. My shares used to be awful and didn't help anyone.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

actually, we are to tell what we were like, not our lives, and what happened and what we are like now, not our lives.
i find this difference important, as it puts the focus on change in us as opposed to life itself which could, after all, still be full of crap
Old 02-05-2019, 07:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree View Post
An AA friend pointed out to me that the big book says we tell our story in a general way. I appreciated that.

As others mentioned, we talk about what it was like, what we did to recover, and what life is like now.

I find that those stories that had way more emphasis on what it was like did not help people as much as hearing what they did to recover and what life is like now. We all know what it was like. Our stories are all the same even though the details are different.

I hope once again I didn't p*ss you off here.... Seriously I'm trying to help. My shares used to be awful and didn't help anyone.
No you didnt **** me off. Why would you? Yea sharing in a general way is good. Why were your shares awful
Old 02-05-2019, 09:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I didn’t share anything, not one word for 8 months / a year.., someone said go to 90 meetings in 90 days if you’re serious.. I think I did 250 meetings in 90 I was sick.. one day after not saying a word I finally opened up and started talking.. what a relief.. I had to throw my pride and ego out the window... it’s a fact talking about these things helps and I had to get that off my chest !! This was just my personal experience!

Wishing you the best,
Old 02-06-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

The audiences I have always spoken to have always been friendly ones.

I start by talking a little about childhood and my first exposures to alcohol.

Then I talk about:

1. experimenting with alcohol,

2. starting to drink it,

3. the progression of my heavy drinking into out-of-hand drinking;

4. the consequences of my drinking;

5. how being a chronic alcoholic made me feel - like the 4 horsemen of heavy drinking;

6. early thoughts about getting sober as I grew into a rather blurry existence;

7. getting help (in my case treatment);

8. working the AA program, especially working the 12 steps with my sponsor; and

9. the manifestation of the Promises in my life.

Great topic for a thread.

Let us know how you do.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:58 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
actually, we are to tell what we were like, not our lives, and what happened and what we are like now, not our lives.
i find this difference important, as it puts the focus on change in us as opposed to life itself which could, after all, still be full of crap
Thank you, fini for that important correction. :-)
Old 02-07-2019, 05:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

No you didnt **** me off. Why would you? Yea sharing in a general way is good. Why were your shares awful
I don't want to come across as a big book thumper. ;-)

My shares in the beginning were awful, because they were babbling, boring, overly detailed, and didn't make much point.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:13 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
MrBrad

There really isn't a wrong way to do a story. Starting a month before you stopped drinking may be a good start. In this way, you could talk about how you overcame your alcoholism.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

In AA, the only mistakes you can make are to not come back and to not speak from the heart.

We speak the language of the heart and make ourselves vulnerable.

When I tell my story, that is what I try to do.

We talk about intensely real and personal matters - not general blather of living in the suburbs, having 2.2 kids, what kind of car we drive, etc.

We are not at meetings to impress anyone.

No polish, no external veneer or hubris - just gut level honesty about how I have lived my life with and without alcohol.

One of the best things about recovery is that we never have to be "on" or "professional" or "polished".

Just be ourselves and share our feelings, our travails and our progress and setbacks.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:19 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

If you're talking about doing a lead, here is what I generally do (based on watching other leads I've enjoyed):

-Background of my upbringing to point out several things- alcoholism is generational in my family, I did not ever really have healthy coping skills, first drink
-What happened- progression of how alcohol impacted my life with examples of things I've experienced. This is important, IMO, because a newcomer needs to hear their story when they come to AA. It always helps someone to think, I did that too!
-What happened that made me get sober and the feelings I had at that time- fear of being an alcoholic, dealing with wreckage, being young and thinking I can never drink again. Put it into words so that people realize you can feel all those things and still get sober.
-How I recovered, following the process I took through the12 Steps (learned this through someone I have enormous respect for tin the program.
-What it's like now- how the Promises are occurring in ny life. I don't scrimp on this, because people listening need to know it can get better.
-Thabk them for their time