Notices

Attending AA whilst on anti-depressants

Old 10-03-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Attending AA whilst on anti-depressants

I relapsed after 600 days sober, i'm unemployed and suicidal so I'm taking anti-depressants, what is the AA policy on this?

I've only been to three meetings and don't have a sponsor. Shall i tell them?
Old 10-03-2018, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you are taking prescribed meds as prescribed I don't see that it is anyone's business. Try and find a sponsor soon. It really helps. Hugs.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Slangking! There are no official rules or policies on that. In the preamble it says "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking." As anywhere in this world, people at AA can have very different opinions on most things and it can happen that you will find some who are against antidepressants or any other form of medication. Don't let their opinions hinder you from getting as much help and support as you need though!

I personally am on a very light antidepressant and a lot of AA friends have been on them for ages.

Support to you!
Old 10-03-2018, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There's no need to teller group or really anyone, unless you want to, that you are taking prescribed and monitored meds. Plenty of people have diff opinions on whether or not psych drugs are good, etc but that's not the issue you are raising- it's your choice and no, IMO and in many others and doctors, mental health meds do not have any ing to do with your sobriety except helping it.

Glad you are seeking professional help and returning to AA and I'd definitely be working with a sponsor.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AA meetings are there for booze- NOT as an advice service on depression. That is no one's business except yours. I do not think you need to explain anything.
Support to you.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

As others have mentioned, AA is there for those who have a desire to quit drinking. You are under no obligation to tell anyone about your healthcare decisions. Glad to hear you are making active attempts to work on your alcohol issues, that's what 's most important.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Slangking,
I don't have an opinion either way but if you were at the point of wanting to take your own life and the meds are helping you and you are seeing a doctor I don't see an issue.
Bill W suffered depression, one of the members here may be able to supply a link to how he handled it and his thoughts. I know when I stopped drinking my moods began to even after a time.
Sorry to hear that you relapsed but if you can/want to I would be interested in what lead up to the relapse. It's good that you are going to meetings and posting here, it does get better as you probably know. Keep posting
CaiHong
Old 10-03-2018, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What your doctor prescribes for your health is your business.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

At AA meetings I have attended, I have seen large consumptions of coffee and cigarettes. These are mind altering drugs too if one wants to be a purist. Taking anti-depressants is no one's business but yours and your doctor. AA is about quitting alcohol.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA member

I would estimate about half the members of my home group take anti-depressants,no problem whatsoever if your Doctor has prescribed them.

No need to tell anybody unless you want to.

Wishing you well.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

take your medicine until the Doctor tells you different whether you go to AA or not
Old 10-04-2018, 07:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There are many people in AA like you described yourself.

If you happen to run into someone at a meeting who is in your face that you're not sober if you're on antidepressants, RUN. Find another meeting.

Clinical depression is a medical issue and only something a doctor or trained therapist--outside of AA--should be speaking to you about and treating you for.

There's a difference between "depression" and "clinical depression".

Members in AA are not medical doctors. Some people are depressed because they're alcoholic. Once they recover, their depression is lifted. But some people are alcoholic because they're depressed. It's my opinion/understanding that the former can be treated in AA. The later need outside help.

Having a spiritual awakening can help you recover from alcoholism. Having a spiritual awakening does not cure clinical depression.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-11...ersMedDrug.pdf
linked by permission AA World Services Inc.

• No A.A. member should “play doctor”; all
medical advice and treatment should come from a
qualified physician.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

AA has no policy on it, but there are occasional members of AA who forget that and offer up their unsolicited opinion.

But you'd get know all's and busybodies in all realms of life anyways.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Getting sober is the most important thing you can do, so do what it takes.