Notices

Untreated Alcoholism vs Depression?

Old 05-22-2018, 05:15 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rjyerkes View Post
I am diagnosed with clinical depression, seasonal affective disorder (in Oregon), CPTSD and menopause. Depression and CPTSD preceded everything. I was suicidal be the age of 12.
Rjyerkes,
Thanks for being so open and honest. It reminded me that I had these things before I drank. However, at the moment of my first drink, alcohol sure seemed like a way to beat my depression and anxiety, even though I didn't know what those terms were back then.

I've been on antidepressants since my son was 11 mos old (I was 32) and my gyno asked me straight up, "do you think you're depressed?" and I replied, "oh God, yeah" without even thinking.
That's great you were honest with yourself and with her.

He told me to stop drinking because alcohol is a depressant and it interferes with the antidepressant.
I probably would've gotten more out of my antidepressants if I hadn't drank.

I already knew that because I've spent pretty much my entire adult life trying to understand, make sense of, and get OVER my young life.
It's frustrating that it takes so long, I know.

I have done: Psychiatric therapy, psychological therapy, group therapy, medication, meditation, journaling, prayer, self help books, biofeedback, exercise, light therapy, online forums, grieving for my lost childhood, grieving for the mother I needed, reparenting myself, writing my biography, talking to the few peeps I trust and last but certainly not least.....finding a wonderful partner who understands and loves me anyway.
Wow! You certainly have the willingness to try anything to help yourself. That is very inspirational. Which of these did you find most helpful? That's great you have a wonderful supportive partner.

What I can offer to this discussion is that even with all of the above, I still struggle.
I'm sorry you still do.... It sounds like you've really given it your all to live with these things.

My spouse told me about a year ago (been married for 19yrs) that he gets so scared when I go to my dark place (with a trigger) cause he's never seen anything like that before and it scares the hell out of him. He had no idea that anyone could go that dark that fast and he has no idea what to do.....this is an Italian guy from NY who takes nothing off of NO-BOD-Y. He's my hero. Without him, I know 100% that I would've drank myself to death.
I understand this. Unless he experienced it himself personally, he probably wouldn't be able to understand it.

Right then I began to speak my "truth". I've been trained my whole life that nobody cares about your stupid issues. Everybody is in pain so shut TFU about yours cause....You - mean - nothing.
I was trained that way, too, but just in less harsh words. You know it's not true, though, right?

When he said he gets scared I realized that I'm super-duper effed up man lol.
That's not true. He's likely scared because he wants to be able to help you but he doesn't understand what you are experiencing, because he's never experienced it himself.

So I guess what I'm trying to communicate is that there are lots of peeps out here who have had SUPER effed up lives but continue to fight the good fight cause it's worth it.
Suffering from the things you were diagnosed with does NOT mean you are "effed up". Mental illnesses are illnesses of the brain, just like Diabetes is an illness of the pancreas. You are not your diseases. I read somewhere that instead of using the term "addict", people are using the term "person with an addiction". I kinda like that idea, because it shows that being an addict is not their identity. It is an illness that they have; not an illness that they are.

My husband has an effed up childhood also, but with he and I committed to fighting the good fight......well, our son is now almost 18 and has none of the issues we thought our kid might have lol.
I give people like you and your husband a tremendous amount of respect for being able to parent differently in spite of what you both went through. Your son is lucky to have you both.

Good wishes and good thoughts being sent your way
Thank you! That's very kind. I send them back to you as well. :-)
Old 05-22-2018, 05:24 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle1944 View Post
Based on AA history, Bill W said depression. He took LSD, based on the possibility that it would cure his depression.
Thanks, Bullwinkle. I appreciate the info you're providing here. I was unaware that he took LSD for his depression.

Does anyone know when Dr. Silkworth in The Doctor's Opinion talks about psychiatric care from back then, what it was? I wonder if he was able to tell the difference between the real alcoholic who was depressed, versus the real alcoholic who also had clinical depression.

The amazing text came from the Judeo-Christian tenets which is least 2000 years old that was given to him by Dr. Rev. Samuel M. Shoemaker Episcopal Priest @ the Calvary Church, NYC which was the Oxford Movement. Some of what Bill wrote was word for word from what Shoemaker gave him. Yes, Bill basically wrote Alcoholic Anonymous, but had help from alcoholics of which some were agnostic and atheist. This is historical fact. Read As Bill Sees It, page 95, Titled, Spiritual Kindergarten, last paragraph reads, ”Every voice was playing its appointed part. Our atheists and agnostics widened our gateway so that all who suffer might pass through, regardless of their belief or lack of belief.1. Letter, 1954 2. A.A. Comes Of Age, pp. 162, 163, 167

In 1938 when the AA text book was written, published in 1939, there were no AA meetings. Bill and the first alcoholics attended meetings with non-alcoholics of the of the Oxford Movement (group) that Frank Buchman founded and contracted Shoemaker to run the Calvary Church. Also, Dr. Bob and Bill W. didn’t start the first AA meeting, Clarence Snyder was the founder, in May1939 he called the first meeting Alcoholics Anonymous from the title of the text and it was only for alcoholics and their family members, Oxford Group (Movement) members couldn’t attend. This very first meeting was @ Abby and Grace Goldricks Home which was 2345 Stillman Road Cleveland Heights, Ohio.
Thank you for sharing very interesting history. :-) I didn't knokw that Clarence Snyder had the first meeting. I always thought Dr. Bob's bible studies became the first meeting when the big book of AA was published.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Pathwaytofree writes >>>True, yes, but if you view the original manuscript, the words weren't as soft as "suggested", etc. because they were trying to come to the alcoholic from the side. <<<

I have the copies of the original manuscript and copies of multilith. Is it soft when it was written on page 164 A Vision for You? Our book is meant to be suggestive only. We realize we know ... Ask Him in your morning meditation……
Thanks Bullwinkle. I stand corrected. The original manuscript did use the words "suggested". I could've sworn he used the word "must", but decided to soften it.

I don’t think so, because they knew only a little about alcoholism. Please be aware that Bill W. was 4 years without a drink, he was relatively new. AA has evolved as Bill Wilson predicted.
This is an excellent and important point to bring up.

I practice TM and ones doesn't ask in meditation...
I'm not sure I understand this point? Please explain. Thanks. :-)
Old 05-22-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rjyerkes View Post
I've not been to AA so take my opinion for what it is.....JUST my humble opinion.
Hi rjyerkes,
I really appreciate your sharing your opinion. It's totally fine you haven't been to AA. AA isn't the only way to get sober. :-)

I have always been absolutely fascinated with human behavior.
What I'm trying to say is that there's been a lot of progress made in the years since AA was written. Legally, culturally, practically and socially. We know more about simple human behavior and the results of such behavior.
That is an excellent point.

We understand so much now about the chemicals involved and the effect abuse and trauma have on our very beings. We are LITERALLY affected on a cellular level.

For anyone interested I strongly suggest the book The Body Keeps The Score by Bessel van der Kolk, M.D.
Someone else mentioned this book to me recently, and it sounded fascinating. I will add this to my list. Thank you for mentioning it. :-)

For the first time in my life we have scientific proof that our brains operate differently from those who have not experienced abuse and/or trauma. We're NOT weak, spoiled, difficult, impossible, a curse, a problem child, unlikable, unlovable, a bad seed, a bad apple, just like (least likeable person), burdens, demons, accidents or lessons. We're just hurt people of hurt people.
You have no idea how much this paragraph alone has helped me.

Perhaps the original AA book could use some updates?
That's been a long ongoing debate, but I see things all so much clearer now with regards to its strengths and limitations.

Thank you.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:45 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
In his book Drugs and the Spiritual: Bill W. Takes LSD, Ernest Kurtz explains, “one clear reason why Bill Wilson experimented with LSD [is that] he was seeking still further ways of helping alcoholics, of helping specifically those alcoholics who could not seem to attain sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous because, apparently, they could not ‘get the spiritual’.” Bill was thinking outside the box, the box of Alcoholics Anonymous as it existed, as he had originally created it...

Thanks Ken. This is fascinating. I never read anything like this before. It reminds me of a man who used to go to my home group. He didn't have a spiritual awakening after doing his step work. My sponsor said "that means he missed something". I think if I remember correctly, he had trouble connecting with God. I'd see him at our meeting and at other meetings, and he always looked so sad. I wonder if he was suffering from clinical depression in addition to alcoholism and that's what it was. Not that he missed something. Perhaps it's like what Tommyh said, that people with clinical depression often have difficulty with the spiritual piece.

What it comes down to is that recovery, spirituality, and life in general are not so black and white.
I really appreciate your saying that, because the AA program tends to be very black and white. And people in AA are very black and white when they speak about recovery, etc.

Learning this about Bill Wilson has only has increased my respect for him. He is so multi-dimensional. He’s not the mythical one-layered man that folklore has him be. He’s much too real. Even years into sobriety, he was still searching. He was still flawed. He sought answers. He was sometimes wrong. He was entirely, beautifully human. Alcoholics Anonymous does not offer perfection. Nowhere, not even in its founders, can that be found.
[/I]
Bill W. and LSD | Addiction Treatment Blog by Addiction Experts

Couldn`t agree more.
This was really fascinating to read. Thank you for sharing this Ken. It helps me see Bill W in a different light. He was certainly still trying to spiritually grow even after he had stopped drinking. He wasn't afraid to continue seeking with an open mind.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:37 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

awuh1 writes>>>Bullwinkle1944, I need to do some fact checking<<<

Checking the facts is your prerogative, history is frequently distorted, in this context, there is no fact, there’s just opinion and preference. “Kurtz asserts” and so on… is a prime example of opinion and preference.

awuh1 writes>>>Bills initial use of the drug was under their medical supervision. Again, you state that "Bill took LSD for himself". Do you have any facts to back up your assertion? <<<

I don’t need facts, as you just wrote that he took LSD, Yes, I said Bill took LSD for himself. It appears, that because I hadn’t written that he took LSD under medical supervision that I’m criticizing him. To add a thought, this was his attempt find a solution for his depression.

awuh1 writes>>>I think this is an important point because Bill is often criticized for his use of the drug without putting his behavior into a proper historical context.

I read your posting in order, to keep it in context. Maybe I’m wrong, but only you would know your intent, but this sentence being the finish, appears to be the crux of your argument / debate. I am suggesting that maybe this sentence is a bit passive aggressive based on your assumption of my intent / sentiment.
BTW, my very close friend, an AA fellowship member, was a clinical pharmacologist and a neurosurgeon that worked @ Lawrence Livermore Labs. He’s the MD that discovered that hyperactive people, especially children have a reverse reaction to amphetamine, it calms them down. With that said, my MD friend was also involved in LSD experiments and worked with Albert Hofmann, as well as many other scientists all over the world.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:09 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Pathwayfree writes>>>Interesting. So if it wasn't a "disease", would it be an "illness"? Wouldn't that still be the same thing?

What is the popular theory as to way rehab centers have a recidivism rate of over 90%?<<<

Alcoholism causes disease, just as tobacco smoking causes disease (#1 killer), yet notice the nicotine addiction isn’t reference as a disease.

The actual disease is dis-ease (uneasiness) of feelings of low self-esteem engendered by not being enough, not fitting in socially, isolationism, not feeling that one’s smart enough, self-loathing for not being physically attractive or intelligent or both. Bipolar Affective Disorder ADD / ADHD, PTSD, OCD, the list goes on.

As it says on page 23, AA text, “the main problem of the alcoholic centers in the mind rather than the body” page 35 in the AA text, “So we shall describe some of the mental states that precede a relapse into drinking, for obviously this is the crux of the problem”. It not the first drink or the last drink or any drink in-between, it’s the mental states that precede drinking.

Non-substance addicts like gambling addicts change their body chemistry by their thinking process / mind.

Many addictions take numerous attempts before one reaches then bottom and surrenders.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:38 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Pathwaytofree writes>>>Thank you for sharing very interesting history. :-) I didn't knokw that Clarence Snyder had the first meeting. I always thought Dr. Bob's bible studies became the first meeting when the big book of AA was published.<<<

The reason Clarence started the meeting was as he told Dr. Bob most of the people he was helping with their alcoholism were Roman Catholic and they were not allowed to attend a non- Roman Catholic event of any sort. Dr. Bob argued with him saying in so many words that Clarence was insulting the Oxford Group, due to they being very accommodating by allowing alcoholics to attend, Clarence said there’s nothing he could do but start their own meeting as said, and as I had shared with the sober recovery forum, that he’s calling it Alcoholics Anonymous from the title of the text.

BTW, Dr. Bob was a Christian zealot and I probably would not gotten along with him, but I have compassion for him, as I have for any human being that feels they have the Capital “T” true for recovery based on their belief system. Conversely, I probably would have gotten along with Bill W. because he was much more open minded than Dr. Bob. This is an example of Dr. Bob’s close mindedness and I feel zealot arrogance from his story DOCTOR BOB’S NIGHTMARE , If you think you are an atheist, an agnostic, a skeptic, or have any other form of intellectual pride which keeps you from accepting what is in this book, I feel sorry for you. If you still think you are strong enough to beat the game alone, that is your affair. But if you really and truly want to quit drinking liquor for good and all, and sincerely feel that you must have some help, we know that we have an answer for you. It never fails if you go about it with one half the zeal you have been in the habit of showing when getting another drink. Your Heavenly Father will never let you down!

AA is a suggested program of recovery and steps 3 and 11 are written “God as we understood Him” and as I shared recently from “AS BILLS SEES IT” PAGE 95, 3 and 11 was written as such due to the atheist and agnostics, Here the long version, see of last paragraph, last sentence When the Big Book was being planned, some members thought it ought to be Christian in the doctrinal sense. Others had no objection to the use of the word “God,” but wanted to avoid doctrinal issues. Spirituality, yes. Religion, no. Still others wanted a psychological book, to lure the alcoholic in. Once in, he could take God or leave him alone as he wished. To the rest of us this was shocking, but happily we listened. Our group conscience was at work to construct the most acceptable and effective book possible. Every voice was playing its appointed part. “ Our atheists and agnostics widened our gateway so that all who suffer might pass through, regardless of their belief of lack of belief.” AA Comes of Age, pp. 162, 163, 167.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:56 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Pathwaytofree writes>>>

I'm not sure I understand this point? Please explain. Thanks. :-)

I practice TM and ones doesn't ask in meditation...very simple, the AA text used a Western European interpretation of meditation, as practiced it asks for results. In yogic and Buddhist philosophy, I don’t meditate for a specific result, staying open to all possibilities, so I don’t ask for anything, especially in the material world. From what I’ve seen in the American version of prayer, however, plenty of danger exists when the focus is on the outcome, rather than the simple act of being still and not living in the results for wants. The wanting never gets it, it only creates more wanting.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cosima11 View Post
Just as a side note.. I've never taken anti-depressants. I was against it from a young age for numerous reasons.. knowing for some people it can actually make things worse which can be really dangerous, knowing that even if it did succeed in "correcting the chemical imbalance" I would still ultimately be responsible for making other changes in my life and maintaining my own happiness, and finally a certain amount of pride surrounding not wanting to seem "weak". Which was ironic considering the other substances I was willing to ingest and depend upon later on in life.
Someone in my network shared this very same experience recently. Addiction is very illogical...

Anyhow my early experience of dealing with depression without medication is how I know it can and does lift without medical treatment. There are certain preventative (sober) measures that can be taken to keep yourself "in remission". That being said, no matter how much you plan or pray or do all the right things.. genuine clinical depression (like other mental illnesses) is actually one of those things that cannot always be controlled with our own willpower and egos.
Thanks for mentioning this. Sometimes it's like a catch-22 in that because of the very nature of depression, it's difficult to do what you need to do to keep in remission.
That being said, no matter how much you plan or pray or do all the right things.. genuine clinical depression (like other mental illnesses) is actually one of those things that cannot always be controlled with our own willpower and egos.
This is very important to mention and important for everyone sponsoring people to realize.

Yet the steps alone may not be effective. I've never actively planned or seriously thought about carrying out my own suicide.. but if it ever got to that point I would not be above seeking medical treatment and would not be pulling the wool over anyone's eyes for doing so.
Again, this is really important and I'm thankful that people on this thread are posting this.

Could it be that people who are prone to clinical depression are also much more likely to become alcoholics/addicts? I haven't looked into the statistics and I'm not claiming that as a fact. Just a speculation that seems equally possible..
My guess is that it's very likely, because of self-medicating.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:43 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
one thing ive learned is many,many people(including myself until diagnosed with depression) dont understand how depression manifests itself.
Thanks Tomsteve. I guess clinical depression is more complicated than alcoholism. Too bad there's no "12 steps to recover from clinical depression." ;-)
Old 05-23-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree View Post
Thanks Tomsteve. I guess clinical depression is more complicated than alcoholism.
i said that comment because i had no clue i had depression until doagnosed with it. i wasnt aware many of the symptoms/signs i had were related to depression.
i thought depression was all gloom and doom stuff, but not so.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pagekeeper View Post
Untreated alcoholism symptoms - restless, irritable, discontent
Thank you for the reminder of keeping it simple!!
That being said, "restless, irritable, discontent" sounds a lot like Bipolar 2. :-/

Depression - not sure, I'm not a Dr or mental health professional
This reminds me of a quote I used to hear in my home group. It went something like this: "You're not an alcoholic because you're depressed, you're depressed because you're an alcoholic!"

It's just another reminder that there's "depressed" and there's "clinical depression" and we must make that distinction in AA before it does more harm than good.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Pathwayfree writes>>>Interesting. So if it wasn't a "disease", would it be an "illness"? Wouldn't that still be the same thing?

What is the popular theory as to way rehab centers have a recidivism rate of over 90%?<<<

Alcoholism causes disease, just as tobacco smoking causes disease (#1 killer), yet notice the nicotine addiction isn’t reference as a disease.

The actual disease is dis-ease (uneasiness) of feelings of low self-esteem engendered by not being enough, not fitting in socially, isolationism, not feeling that one’s smart enough, self-loathing for not being physically attractive or intelligent or both. Bipolar Affective Disorder ADD / ADHD, PTSD, OCD, the list goes on.

As it says on page 23, AA text, “the main problem of the alcoholic centers in the mind rather than the body” page 35 in the AA text, “So we shall describe some of the mental states that precede a relapse into drinking, for obviously this is the crux of the problem”. It not the first drink or the last drink or any drink in-between, it’s the mental states that precede drinking.

Non-substance addicts like gambling addicts change their body chemistry by their thinking process / mind.

Many addictions take numerous attempts before one reaches then bottom and surrenders.
Bullwinkle, your posts are very enlightening.

So... if it makes more sense to use the term "illness", whey then is the word "disease" used?

Who was it who created the spin on the term disease to be "dis-ease", because although that makes sense to the alcoholic, I don't think the medical community meant it to be used like that. It's an interesting topic of discussion.

I'm glad you brought up gambling, because I think any addiction must change body/brain chemistry. Gamblers just don't have a physical allergy like alcoholics do, but isn't it otherwise the same exact "illness"/"disease" being that it centers in the mind? It is all about what's going on in the mind before, as you pointed out.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:00 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

i said that comment because i had no clue i had depression until doagnosed with it. i wasnt aware many of the symptoms/signs i had were related to depression.
Thanks Tomsteve. I had a similar experience.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:36 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Pathwaytofree writes>>>Gamblers just don't have a physical allergy like alcoholics do,<<<

This myth comes from Dr. Silkworth in the the AA text Doctors Opinion.

An allergy by definition is a reaction of the immune system to a given chemical. Allergies are easily detected by a skin test. If "alcoholism" were an allergy it could easily be diagnosed by a skin test and no screening tools such as the MAST test would be needed. However, there is no skin test for people who sometimes drink too much or drink alcoholically. There must be an antigen and there isn't one.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:43 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

tomsteve writes>>> ( )not all allergies can be diagnosed with a skin test.
its much more complicated than that for quite a few allergies.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

tomsteve writes>>>not all allergies can be diagnosed with a skin test.
its much more complicated than that for quite a few allergies. <<<

It's very simple, there must be an antigen and there isn't. Google the science, there's a lot that debunks this allergy idea.

I use the AA text and 12 X12 to help others, as well as other AA literature, all are viable, but there are mistakes and misnomers in the AA text based on the science from 80 years ago.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:36 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

tomsteve writes>>>not all allergies can be diagnosed with a skin test.
its much more complicated than that for quite a few allergies. <<<

It's very simple, there must be an antigen and there isn't. Google the science, there's a lot that debunks this allergy idea.

I use the AA text and 12 X12 to help others, as well as other AA literature, all are viable, but there are mistakes and misnomers in the AA text based on the science from 80 years ago.
Hey ICON -- I mean Bullwinkle: Just to point out that unlike on the old About Alcoholism forums, here on SR there is a useful quote function that will save you time and make your posts more legible. It's at the bottom right corner of each post.

Also just to say that it's good to see you're still kickin' -- I'm over 5 years sober nowadays thanks in part to your guidance on the old About forum. I may have had issues at times with the messenger, but never with the message

Please continue this most interesting discussion. I have my own thoughts on the matter but don't feel ready to contribute them yet.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

That's a good point. When my gyno asked me if I thought I was depressed, it was my anger that tipped her off. My caustic humor, sarcasm and cynicism was my armor and my coping mechanism. That's it. That's all I had back then.

After being on antidepressants for nearly a decade and having INCREDIBLE success, I began to get more and more tired. Eventually the Doc said that it was my meds not working anymore and switched me to another type. No other symptoms, just constantly sleepy.

I'm in a tricky spot (or my Doc is) cause I also have terrible seasonal affective disorder and live in Oregon. So my new meds came in late summer when we knew the SAD wasn't in play.

Depression is so complicated and multi layered.

Coming off alcohol makes me feel agitated, annoyed, bored, sorry for myself, and exposed but it gets better as time goes on and I can still function fairly normally. I still enjoy things.

Active depression makes me feel hopeless, helpless, exhausted, self loathing, sad, dark, overwhelmed, pathetic, worthless, unlovable, unlikable, terrified, disinterested, disconnected, completely vulnerable and exposed, too tired to even notice things like a messy house or unwashed body. Literally, I don't even notice my very self or my own house/surroundings. Brushing my teeth is like climbing a mountain. I enjoy nothing. I can't function at all.

Giving up alcohol feels like having all my best friends move far away and now they're all having fun without me.

Depression feels like my husband and son have died and life is meaningless and I am without hope. Nothing matters.

I am so incredibly thankful for my meds. Life changing for me and my loved ones