Notices

Sincere question.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome sohard. You're doing great! Just keep hanging in there. I totally understand how hard it must feel.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Hi Sohard, I hope you managed to get some sleep. Normal is a strange word. You are normal for you. I was normal for me. My alcoholic life was the only normal thing. But when I got sober I discovered over time that my idea of normal was not exactly main stream.

I can relate to how tough it is going through this on your own. I tried it thousands of times and 99 percent of the time never made it past the first few hours.

My last drink was a four day bender which finished some time on a Saturday. It was another failed experiment at controlled drinking. On Sunday morning a concerned friend form aa called to see if I was ok. I wasn’t really used to people being concerned about my welfare. Anyway, that night I met him at an aa meeting and resolved to do whatever was required to overcome alcohol. I never drank again.

Within a short time the obsession with alcohol was gone, and my character seemed to change so that I began behaving in a way that might very roughly be regarded as normal, and got better from there.

All the best.
Thank you for all these thoughts. Much appreciated.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Welcome, first of all.

Second, in regard to this post- I am one of those around here that thinks tapering is a terrible idea. It can just let us delay the actual quitting part bc the alcoholic mind easily goes to postponing the critical part of ... quitting.

If you want to be sober, permanently, you can. That part is up to you alone. Then, others are here for support - on SR and IRL - my chosen path is AA and I work an incredibly dedicated program. I have found such joy and peace in my (19+ mo) sober life.

Do you want to quit?

RE the cravings, difficulties, pain at the beginning- yep, it's tough to go through. I was VERY sick when I quit and I went through a lot. I knew, though, that I had to face an uncertain future sober rather than a certain death by drinking, which I finally accepted was all I would get if I kept drinking.

Hope you stay on here- and do search around, read and look for similarities not differences in what people share - and perhaps start a program like AA. Your mind and body need time to clear from the alcohol and I can promise you it is worth taking a chance and letting that happen.

Take care.
Thank you again. Very much appreciated.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I made it 24 hours. I feel relieved. Like maybe I'm on my way. Like, maybe it's possible. Thank you all so much for your support.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
Thanks so much everybody. I appreciate every word of advice. I wish I was at the place you guys are in your recovery.
We hope that you get to that place, too, amigo.

I suggest that you try to muster some patience.

Easier said than done, no doubt, but your body and brain are going through some serious readjustments now and getting back to a level of equilibrium, so to speak, takes some time and effort.

Please keep us posted as to your progress.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
We hope that you get to that place, too, amigo.

I suggest that you try to muster some patience.

Easier said than done, no doubt, but your body and brain are going through some serious readjustments now and getting back to a level of equilibrium, so to speak, takes some time and effort.

Please keep us posted as to your progress.
I will for sure. I definitely pray it stays forward progress!
Old 10-08-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Better days are coming, sohard. You're doing this.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I used to believe that time away from booze and many parts of my old lifestyle = recovery. I waited and waited for things to get better....and while they did somewhat, it started to become apparent that what was changing wasn't enough to really be acceptable for me.

And make no mistake, there were TONS of people in the meetings I went to who'd pat me on the head and tell me I was doing just fine. "You're not drinking Mike, you're doing great." Truth is, I wasn't. On the surface maybe, but not deep down inside and I knew it. To thine own self be true - right? I knew I was off and no amount of AA back-slappers was convincing me otherwise. Maybe putting the bottle down was enough for them...I wanted more and I was 99% certain I NEEDED more.

"When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically"

"We feel a man is unthinking when he says that sobriety is enough."

"Quite as important was the discovery that spiritual principles would solve all my problems. "

Those lines in the Big Book and 12&12 hit me pretty hard when I took the time to consider them as they related to me and the program I was "working." It was becoming increasingly apparent that what I was doing (and not doing) wasn't working too well. So what if I had 6 months, 9 months, 12 months dry. It wasn't a lifestyle I enjoyed and I knew my days were numbered.

Out of sheer desperation and a lack of what looked like viable alternatives, I finally began to work the program of Alcoholics anonymous. I actually began to have an interest and desire to work the steps and to strengthen my relationship with any power (really....ANY power) that could change me. At first, that power was God out of my mouth but really it was the 12-step program. I didn't really trust God...didn't trust the program either but I had more faith in the program than God.

It wasn't until I truly became a part of the recovery process that I finally started to "feel better" for real.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:43 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It takes a while. You didn't get sick overnight and you won't get well overnight. It takes dedication, but it can be accomplished. I remember starting to feel more or less normal by week 2 or week 3.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

The obsession to drink, for me, was lifted around 9-10 months. Early sobriety is a b1tch.......hang in there, it DOES get better. I remember hitting tons of meetings and walking and sitting on my hands or pacing my room in early sobriety - anything NOT to pick up a drink!
Old 10-18-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
The obsession to drink, for me, was lifted around 9-10 months. Early sobriety is a b1tch.......hang in there, it DOES get better. I remember hitting tons of meetings and walking and sitting on my hands or pacing my room in early sobriety - anything NOT to pick up a drink!
Thanks, Bunny. I appreciate these thoughts!
Old 10-18-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
It takes a while. You didn't get sick overnight and you won't get well overnight. It takes dedication, but it can be accomplished. I remember starting to feel more or less normal by week 2 or week 3.
Thank you!
Old 10-18-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Better days are coming, sohard. You're doing this.
Thank you!!
Old 10-18-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Hi Sohard, I hope you managed to get some sleep. Normal is a strange word. You are normal for you. I was normal for me. My alcoholic life was the only normal thing. But when I got sober I discovered over time that my idea of normal was not exactly main stream.

I can relate to how tough it is going through this on your own. I tried it thousands of times and 99 percent of the time never made it past the first few hours.

My last drink was a four day bender which finished some time on a Saturday. It was another failed experiment at controlled drinking. On Sunday morning a concerned friend form aa called to see if I was ok. I wasn’t really used to people being concerned about my welfare. Anyway, that night I met him at an aa meeting and resolved to do whatever was required to overcome alcohol. I never drank again.

Within a short time the obsession with alcohol was gone, and my character seemed to change so that I began behaving in a way that might very roughly be regarded as normal, and got better from there.

All the best.
How long was the "short time" until your obsession was gone??