Notices

4 th step work

Old 09-19-2004, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 th step work

While working on this step, I see a alot of issues of self esteem. I heard at a meeting last night that in order for God to relieve our character defects, we have to be willing to work on them. I think he said that if we wan't HP to relieve us from fear, we have to practice being courageous.

So I ask, what can I do do help bolster self esteem. I really don't know and can use a little help.

I'm going to talk to my sponsor about this, but I really could use a little input.

Meg
Sober and loving it!!!
Old 09-19-2004, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

About the best thing I can think of is to do esteemable things. Help someone in need, sponsor someone, get another kind of service job or take a college course perhaps. Sometimes I feel guilty because I AM guilty! I can't undo things, but I can do positive things.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was feeling sorry for myself the other day and I hit a detox meeting. That perked me right up, especially the part where I got to leave after the meeting!!!
Old 09-19-2004, 09:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

I have major self esteem issues, stemming waaaaaaaay back. I like what collinsmi said about service work. It's helping me bigtime!
Old 09-19-2004, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
just j

Serving others, looking for small ways to make someone else feel good, and being the person our HP wants us to be. Those are some of the things I am working on. I try to do things that are hard for me to do.

Recognizing our weaknesses and admitting to them also seems to help.

I think I used to try to build my self esteem by accomplishing things and by working on myself throught self help. These ways did not seem to work for me.

You also build your self esteen by staying sober and humbling yourself to the fact that you can't go it alone. (talking to myself here )

Jalyn
Old 09-19-2004, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by collinsmi
I was feeling sorry for myself the other day and I hit a detox meeting. That perked me right up, especially the part where I got to leave after the meeting!!!
Big time. I remember the meetings when I was in rehab. Aside from going to one every night in other parts of town, we held one at our centre once a week. Made some real good friends. But it was a bitch to see them go home to their families while I stayed there after the meetings.
When I go to meetings in rehabs and the local detox now, I do so with as much humility as I can muster.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

1) Take some pride in the fact that for today you are beating the disease that many believe cannot be beaten for any length of time. This is no small thing and no small accomplishment.
Enjoy your position on the edge of the bell curve. You are skewing the data and that is a goodness.
2) Share your experience, strength and hope. No matter how long you have been sober there is always someone who has less time than you and can benefit from your ESH, but only if you are willing to share it. Help someone else, you help yourself. It's a 2 for 1 deal!

Jah Bless.