SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism-12 Step Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism-12-step-support/)
-   -   Big Book Promies - Favorite that has come true (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism-12-step-support/343259-big-book-promies-favorite-has-come-true.html)

Grungehead 08-27-2014 03:23 PM

Before I worked the steps I thought that the promises were extravagant but not so much afterwards.

Soberpotamus 08-27-2014 03:24 PM

I remember, in meetings, the looks on peoples' faces used to make me laugh to myself... watching some of their facial expressions and hearing their monotone voices as they read the Promises and really anything out of the Big Book... it was a contrast between message and emotional affect, lol!

Fly N Buy 08-27-2014 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by CousinA (Post 4863796)
"And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone-even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality—safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition."

("and pink unicorns will come down from the sky and give me a ride to work" My friend A... quote from a recent Sunday morning meeting after we read the 10th Step promise. Sometimes ya just need a laugh :))

"are these extravagant promises? Hell yes!" - Me (see above and Rule 62) I think my trickster self is coming out today.

BB quote from Alcoholics Anonymous 1st Edition

-allan

Love it... I am in a Rule 62 group as well.
don't take yourself so damn serious!

Fly N Buy 08-27-2014 03:43 PM

I suppose for me TODAY my favorite is the ninth Step 3 promise (pg. 63) As we felt a new power flow in, as we enjoyed peace of mind, as we discovered we could face life successfully, as we became conscious of His presence, we began to lose our fear of today, tomorrow or the hereafter.

How much better can life get??? Can't wait to see.......!!

DayTrader 08-28-2014 08:33 AM

My favorites are the 10th step promises. My experience in recovery has been both very full of them.......and almost completely devoid of them at various times:

And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone—even alcohol.

For by this time sanity will have returned.

We react sanely and normally

Boleo 08-29-2014 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Grungehead (Post 4863856)
Before I worked the steps I thought that the promises were extravagant but not so much afterwards.

Before I worked the steps I thought that the promises were extravagant but now I think of them as RESULTS.

So how many RESULTS have I found in the Big book - well over 100.

:abcj:

Grungehead 08-29-2014 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Boleo (Post 4867025)
Before I worked the steps I thought that the promises were extravagant but now I think of them as RESULTS.

So how many RESULTS have I found in the Big book - well over 100.

You put it much better than I was able to but that's what I was trying to get at. The promises seemed extravagant before working the steps, but now I see that they are a natural byproduct of living life according to the principles of the program.