Notices

Courage To Change 02/09/2013

Old 02-09-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 02/09/2013

There was nothing simple about my life before I came to Al-Anon. My work was highly stressful, my time was always short, and my attention was intensely focused on the alcoholic, but I didn't realize I was under a strain. During the early days in Al-Anon, I shifted my intense focus to the program. As my denial broke, I became aware that I was exhausted all the time. The topic at an Al-Anon meeting, "Keep it Simple," was just what I needed to hear!
I decided that the top priority for my unmanageable life was to recover from the effects of alcoholism, I had responsibilities and couldn't eliminate all the stress from my life, but I tried to simplify it where possible. In my case, this meant letting go of some social activities, temporarily switching to a lower paying but less stressful job, and leading some household chores undone. It wasn't a permanent change, just a way to give myself the timeI needed for my emotional and spiritual health.
It was such a relief! By the time I returned to my normal schedule, I had a better grasp on keeping it simple, so I was able to handle it more serenely.

Today's Reminder

If I am overwhelmed, I may be trying to do too much. Today, I will try to keep it simple.

"The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak.

~Hans Hofmann
Old 02-09-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
There was nothing simple about my life before I came to Al-Anon. My work was highly stressful, my time was always short, and my attention was intensely focused on the alcoholic, but I didn't realize I was under a strain. During the early days in Al-Anon, I shifted my intense focus to the program. As my denial broke, I became aware that I was exhausted all the time. The topic at an Al-Anon meeting, "Keep it Simple," was just what I needed to hear!
I decided that the top priority for my unmanageable life was to recover from the effects of alcoholism, I had responsibilities and couldn't eliminate all the stress from my life, but I tried to simplify it where possible. In my case, this meant letting go of some social activities, temporarily switching to a lower paying but less stressful job, and leading some household chores undone. It wasn't a permanent change, just a way to give myself the timeI needed for my emotional and spiritual health.
It was such a relief! By the time I returned to my normal schedule, I had a better grasp on keeping it simple, so I was able to handle it more serenely.

Today's Reminder

If I am overwhelmed, I may be trying to do too much. Today, I will try to keep it simple.

"The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak.

~Hans Hofmann
That sounds like placing sobriety and serenity first !
Old 02-09-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

That sounds like placing sobriety and serenity first !
Which is my goal nowadays. I aim at emotional sobriety and serenity. I remember in the past being sober but living and being in a relationship with an active alcoholic. I always called my reactions to his alcoholism "getting drunk by proxy".
The drunker he would get, the crazier I would get, I think that there were many times that if a third party had walked in the house and been asked to pick the drunk, they would have picked me LOL.
I live a very simple life these days and steer clear of drama and toxic people. I don't drink and apply the steps to my life and I also work my Al Anon program. Most days I feel balanced and content, I might not be happy and joyous and wealthy but I'm free and life is pretty good mostly. I plan to keep it that way.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Which is my goal nowadays. I aim at emotional sobriety and serenity. I remember in the past being sober but living and being in a relationship with an active alcoholic. I always called my reactions to his alcoholism "getting drunk by proxy".
The drunker he would get, the crazier I would get, I think that there were many times that if a third party had walked in the house and been asked to pick the drunk, they would have picked me LOL.
I live a very simple life these days and steer clear of drama and toxic people. I don't drink and apply the steps to my life and I also work my Al Anon program. Most days I feel balanced and content, I might not be happy and joyous and wealthy but I'm free and life is pretty good mostly. I plan to keep it that way.
Al-Anon has helped me a lot through the years. They say when you attend
both programs you are "Double Winner." And you are winning the game Carlotta.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Ooops I realized I put it in the wrong forum, I meant to post it in the friends and family. I was wondering why I got posts and likes from you guys LOL
I have been a little under the weather (bad bad cold) and distracted lately. Oh well, I m glad you enjoyed the daily reading.