Notices

Two Higher Powers?

Old 11-02-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by TomSawyer View Post
Good advice all. I've found myself praying lately, even if I'm not really sure what I'm praying to.
Some folks pray to IDK (I Don't Know) and it works out just fine. Sometimes I pray to the Tao of the Universe.

"The Tao that can be talked about is not the true “Tao”. Tao can not be represented as a particular entity, thing or image. Tao is not directly translatable to “God”. Any word we can define is not the Tao. The concept of a personified deity is foreign to a Taoist, as is the concept of the creation of the universe. Time is cyclical, not linear as in Western thinking. Tao is unknowable in “essence” but observable in “manifestations”. The Tao belongs neither to knowing or not knowing. It is paradoxically “nothing”, yet it is “in everything”.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
pmv
if it works don't fix it

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
"...When we became alcoholics, crushed by a self-imposed crisis we could not postpone or evade, we had to fearlessly face the proposition that either God is everything or else He is nothing. God either is, or He isn't. What was our choice to be?..."

Well, pmv, there are many AAer's who disagree with some/many parts of the BB. Most of my recovered friends are Atheists; so their answer to the above questions would be "nothing" and "isn't" yet they're all clean/sober 30 years, at least............something must be working.

(o:
NoelleR
Well I'm part of the few that needs to believe in something otherwise it's self reliance which is dangerous for me. Also I try not to pick and choose what I want outta the BB, it's been dead on for me.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
pmv
if it works don't fix it

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Some folks pray to IDK (I Don't Know) and it works out just fine. Sometimes I pray to the Tao of the Universe.

"The Tao that can be talked about is not the true “Tao”. Tao can not be represented as a particular entity, thing or image. Tao is not directly translatable to “God”. Any word we can define is not the Tao. The concept of a personified deity is foreign to a Taoist, as is the concept of the creation of the universe. Time is cyclical, not linear as in Western thinking. Tao is unknowable in “essence” but observable in “manifestations”. The Tao belongs neither to knowing or not knowing. It is paradoxically “nothing”, yet it is “in everything”.
Wow, almost sounds like my quote from the big book ;-)
Old 11-02-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
"...When we became alcoholics, crushed by a self-imposed crisis we could not postpone or evade, we had to fearlessly face the proposition that either God is everything or else He is nothing. God either is, or He isn't. What was our choice to be?..."

Well, pmv, there are many AAer's who disagree with some/many parts of the BB. Most of my recovered friends are Atheists; so their answer to the above questions would be "nothing" and "isn't" yet they're all clean/sober 30 years, at least............something must be working.

(o:
NoelleR
That's me. Coming up on 32 years in a couple of week. For me and only me, that binary black/white thinking - everything or nothing, is or isn't - is alcoholic thinking. Working the program has given the ability to think gray. I don't know what any god or gods are or they even exist. The truth is I don't care. I know it ain't me.

I'm just home from a speaking commitment and shared part of what I do know about my HP. The morning of November 14th, getting and staying sober wasn't even a thought. The idea of not drinking terrified me and I would have rather cut off one of my legs than stop drinking. But here's the thing - a door opened and I walked trough it and I haven't had a drink since. Whatever it is that opened that door is my HP. Call it God, Grace, the power of the universe or Billy, that's fine by me.

When I stop playing god and can be comfortable with "I don't know" is when I'm living in solution. It's that simple.

-allan
Old 11-02-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post

^^^^ This. "I don't know" is one of favorite prayers. So is counting to 10.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
pmv
if it works don't fix it

Originally Posted by CousinA View Post
What i said earlier - when I stop playing god and can be comfortable with "I don't know" is when I'm living in solution.

-allan
very good, and you're right, to each his own
Old 11-02-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Originally Posted by pmv View Post
very good, and you're right, to each his own
God help us all when I'm being right

-allan
Old 11-02-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I believe the reality of God gets lost when you get the message delivered by people who try to stuff God into a building they visit for AA Meetings
Meetings should only be a small fraction of ones A.A. Program.