Notices

Uncle Meat - The Gun Truck Circa 1969 -70

Old 05-12-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Uncle Meat - The Gun Truck Circa 1969 -70

Here's the Old Gun Truck I commissioned in Nam. That's when I
started drinking every day until I was 40 years old. During my
functioning days.....

In answer to those who were wondering where I got that wierd moniker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0678.JPG (46.8 KB, 2312 views)
Old 05-12-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm coming close to 70 yrs old. The 1960's fostered a lot of alcoholism for various reasons.

(I know, in my disease, I came to believe that an M2 with a truckload of ammo would solve most of my problems. Save the last round for me)

I was fully aware of Step 1 by the time I got to recovery and the sanity of Step 2 seemed very inviting. So far it's working as advertised .

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-12-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your service, UM!! Cool rig.. She's clean!! Are those all 50cals on the top? Bet she hurts the pocketbook when filling up!! Thanks for sharing.. Very cool!!
Old 05-12-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dave42001 View Post
Thanks for your service, UM!! Cool rig.. She's clean!! Are those all 50cals on the top? Bet she hurts the pocketbook when filling up!! Thanks for sharing.. Very cool!!
One twin 50 Caliber in the back and 2 60's on the the side. The one in the picture is a full size replica made in Flint, MI by a fella that was in the same unit sometime later. He takes it to different events to help raise awareness for vets and money for the charities.

Yup, the real ones hardly ever stayed clean on those dusty roads going over the Maing Yang and An Khe passes where they engaged in numerous ambushes.

Its always nice to hear the thank you's.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
I'm coming close to 70 yrs old. The 1960's fostered a lot of alcoholism for various reasons.

(I know, in my disease, I came to believe that an M2 with a truckload of ammo would solve most of my problems. Save the last round for me)

I was fully aware of Step 1 by the time I got to recovery and the sanity of Step 2 seemed very inviting. So far it's working as advertised .

All the best.

Bob R
I was definitely on my way to alcoholism, but I distinctly remember drinking daily after I reached base camp. Trans Units had first dibs on all the liquor we hauled.

BTW - I'll be 68 next month. Which Corps area were you in, I was in II Corps (Central Highlands). That was when booze worked for me, but it turned on me a few years later like it does for all of us, I believe.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm Canadian UM and didn't have to participate in Vietnam.

I had a good job lined up at the Chrysler Trenton Engine Plant in MI in '64 but draft papers would have followed that job closely

I live about 35 miles from Detroit and a few of my buddies joined the US Army. I sat across the river and watched the '67 Detroit riot.

The thing about alcoholism is it followed me wherever I went ...

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-12-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
I'm Canadian UM and didn't have to participate in Vietnam.

I had a good job lined up at the Chrysler Trenton Engine Plant in MI in '64 but draft papers would have followed that job closely

I live about 35 miles from Detroit and a few of my buddies joined the US Army. I sat across the river and watched the '67 Detroit riot.

The thing about alcoholism is it followed me wherever I went ...

All the best.

Bob R
Interesting. As mentioned in the previous post Uncle Meat replica was built in Flint, MI and that is near you I believe.

I loved the way Bobby Earl described it "Wherever you go, there you are.":
Old 10-29-2020, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Okay, I was watching a documentary called "Gun Trucks of Vietnam," and it brought to mind a gun truck (didn't know they were called that 'til I turned on the doc) that was in some of my dad's 'Nam photos that he sent back when I was about 7 or 8 (so, '69-70 timeframe). I remembered the name on the truck because it was such an odd name: Uncle Meat.

My dad never had anything but praise and thanks for those trucks and their crews; he said y'all saved a whole lot of lives, and he was damned grateful for you. From his youngest kid, my heartfelt thanks for getting him back home to us.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Kwicko

Uncle Meat was a Frank Zappa and The Mothers album from '69...maybe a connection there

D
Old 10-31-2020, 08:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That would be a good commuter vehicle for me, or for a grocery getter.