Notices

Big Book Quote for 3/21/13

Old 03-20-2013, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Arrow Big Book Quote for 3/21/13

*~*~*~*~*^ BigBookQuote^*~*~*~*~*

"As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times a day "Thy will be done." We are then in much less danger of excitement, fear, anger, worry, self-pity, or foolish decisions. We become much more efficient. We do not tire so easily, for we are not burning up energy foolishly as we did when we were trying to arrange life to suit ourselves."

~ Alcoholics Anonymous 1st Edition Into Action pg. 87-88~
c Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, INC.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

There are some days where I have to pop a few "Thy will me done"'s alongside some Serenity's to navigate through my mental and emotional gymnastics. It's when I am clearly trying to run the show, or trying to shape the universe to mold to my expectations. Cars in front of me aren't going as fast as I would like, or someone isn't doing what I think they should be doing, or the kids are getting out of hand...all these things are places where my character defects like to jump on me and attempt to control the situations. "Thy will be done" reminds me I am not in charge. I let things flow as they need to be, and for me to practice spiritual principles - patience, tolerance, forgiveness, honesty, etc. And it is in that new head and heart space am I able to step back and let things go as they need.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Very good read and good response, Paul.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Great stuff Paul and it reminds me of in the BB when it talks about the director trying to run the show. I forget where it is but I think you guys know what I am referring to right?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Newby that director running the show bit in the big book was one of the most profound and helpful things I have read. I quoted it to someone awhile back in reference to a friend who is always trying to direct everyone else's life according to her own manuscript.

The weird thing about this conversation and this relates back to one of today's quotes is that this person always interferes in other peoples lives with the intoductory statement that I am doing this because I love and care for you then will go on to tell you how badly you are running your life. The interesting part was that I was able to articulate the ideas from the BB so well that the friend I was talking to and actually admitted that she was guilty of the same thing. This friend is also full of righteous indignation and does really help a lot of people and gives freely of her time.

She would be so much happier if she let go and let God.

CaiHong