SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism-12 Step Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism-12-step-support/)
-   -   just a thought (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism-12-step-support/284396-just-thought.html)

SDSurfn 02-15-2013 02:20 PM

just a thought

Something I heard at a meeting last night, the following well-known quote from the BB was the subject:

"Remember that we deal with alcohol, cunning, baffling, powerful!

The gentleman sharing said, he was once told that the most important word in that quote is the word, "remember".

I can identify strongly. Things are going good right now, at 5+ months, but I easily forget how bad things were. If I don't remember, I'm going to wander back to the same people, places, things....

I need to remember that I'm dealing with alcohol.

Veritas1 02-15-2013 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by SDSurfn (Post 3820308)
Something I heard at a meeting last night, the following well-known quote from the BB was the subject:

"Remember that we deal with alcohol, cunning, baffling, powerful!

The gentleman sharing said, he was once told that the most important word in that quote is the word, "remember".

I can identify strongly. Things are going good right now, at 5+ months, but I easily forget how bad things were. If I don't remember, I'm going to wander back to the same people, places, things....

I need to remember that I'm dealing with alcohol.

and the book tells me that I will not remember with sufficient force the memory of a week or a month ago...we are without defense...

I don't know that "I" can use this tool to think I can effectively remember.

My experience has been that even if I remember...when that mental obsession is driving me...it's no use.

There is one who has all power. That one is God. I hope He gives me that defense now and every day that I seek Him.

Dee74 02-15-2013 02:32 PM

yep...I know from my experience it's easy to forget, Kevin.

D

jazzfish 02-15-2013 04:30 PM

Thanks! This reminds me to go write in my journal about how bad things were and how good things are. I find I need to take daily stock of my drinking habits and consequences to remember.

2granddaughters 02-15-2013 04:33 PM

Attending meetings regularly is my best reminder.

All the best.

Bob R

HappyDestiny3 02-15-2013 05:27 PM

Yup this alcoholic is not only a quick forgetter but my disease tell's me that it was all good, and this time those bad things wont happen.. Thats what the insanity is about in the 2 step.. Not how insane my life was, but how it trys to tell me that it will be different this time..

In my beginnings I would slip up, and it wasnt cause of something bad either.. For me it was I couldnt handle things going to good.. I got to well to fast,and forgot.

Fernaceman 02-16-2013 05:10 AM

:)