afraid of disclosing our alcoholism on the theory it may cause
financial harm. Approached in this way, the most ruthless creditor
will sometimes surprise us. Arranging the best deal we can we let
these people know we are sorry. Our drinking has made us slow to
pay.
We must lose our fear of creditors no matter how far we have to go,
for we are liable to drink if we are afraid to face them."

~ Alcoholics Anonymous 1st Edition Into Action pg.78~
c Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, INC.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

This is so true and is my exact situation I am in. I am not afraid to face them, I just haven't yet? LOL. I guess I would be. Some debts are years old...but I guess I have to go to any lengths to make right. Oh well, I would have never ever ever thought about taking care of this or taking any action to put money away when I was drinking to make this right.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

Oh yea...

I hear you loud and clear FM. As like everything else in my drinking life. If something hit the fan, or it was going to interfear with my drinking and drugging that got completely ingnored.

So as long as I keep that list as this is Clearing away the wreckage of my past. I will not run from it no longer, it seems overwhelming but one step at a time, and I know it will all be taken care of.. As long as I continue to trudge the road.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

It was a great relief to be free of creditors, to be sure of. The feeling of not having to wonder when someone was going to bring up the idea of money was freeing, and also knowing that I am even, financially. And for those financial amends I couldn't make directly, I made sure that the money went out back into the universe, to balance the cosmic scales.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

When I read posts like yours Paul99 I am so happy for you but then I get a twinge because I wish that was my experience. I am coming up on 9 years in May and I am still dealing with financial wreckage and don't really see any light at the end of the tunnel with it. I do however do the best I can on trying to repair it but between my low credit and my very extensive past criminal convictions securing work has been a nightmare. I owe financial aid over 50K and it keeps growing with the interest that keeps getting added on. I guess the strength in all of that is you can stay sober even when there are great obstacles to overcome. I heard at a meeting tonight that many people relapse over financial woes so I am very grateful my mind set has never gone that way.
Have a great night all.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Newby - I was fortunate that I didn't owe outrageous amounts. I owed in the low 5 digits, but it was something that I had to work out for sure - it wasn't overnight. I still have to live paycheck to paycheck most often, and I had to dip into my retirement funds to pay everyone, but I guess for me I had the means and just used them, as painful as it was (and it was painful!). I'm sorry that it's been difficult getting steady work - I imagine with this economy and your history it's harder than usual. God does provide, but in a way we don't see or expect. I don't mean winning a lottery (that would be nice, wouldn't it?? ), but that we are living within a means that still allows us to be of service, while chipping away at our debts...and sober. And for me, I would rather be sober and owe some than be out there clear and free of debt, but drinking. Because at least with the former, I am on a path, and the latter I am digging a hole.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you. I find even when I do have the money I still don't answer the phone or pay on time out of the habit of self sabotage. I have to fight to change this.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Making financial amends was huge for me. I breathed easily then.

Wasn't even really painful. I really did owe it. I wanted to repay.