SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism-12 Step Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism-12-step-support/)
-   -   Help - Need a Meeting Topic! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism-12-step-support/281356-help-need-meeting-topic.html)

Huglets 01-18-2013 08:51 AM

Help - Need a Meeting Topic!

Greetings,

I have been chairing my home group meeting this month. One of my responsibilities is to present a meeting topic. I'm out of ideas and need some input.

Have you been to a meeting recently that spurred a great discussion? If so, could you please let me know.

By the way, last week I wanted to discuss Steps 6 &7. It was a great discussion and I took a lot away from the meeting.

For whatever reason, I'm coming up with nothing for this week!

sugarbear1 01-18-2013 08:55 AM

Have you meditated on this?

Brain storm and write a bunch of topics on small pieces of paper and pick one for each week. Maybe do this while drinking coffee with some other members of the fellowship.....

paul99 01-18-2013 09:02 AM

Scan the forums here - tons of great topics being tossed around.

bbthumper 01-18-2013 09:07 AM

I recently brought 'Faith without works is dead' as a topic and it went quite well. Some good comments.

You can also open the Big Book and point to a random spot on any page and see what pops out :)

2granddaughters 01-18-2013 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by SoberFallon (Post 3777710)
Greetings,

I have been chairing my home group meeting this month. One of my responsibilities is to present a meeting topic. I'm out of ideas and need some input.

Have you been to a meeting recently that spurred a great discussion? If so, could you please let me know.

By the way, last week I wanted to discuss Steps 6 &7. It was a great discussion and I took a lot away from the meeting.

For whatever reason, I'm coming up with nothing for this week!

Are there any/many newcomers at your table? Newcomers like "HOW" "hope" or "surrender" etc.

I like "Continued" "Growth" "spiritual awakening""change" or any of the slogans

All the best.

Bob R

Huglets 01-18-2013 10:09 AM

Interesting that you mentioned HOW Bob.....

bbthumper....I was scanning the BB last night. I say it's interesting that Bob brought up HOW....because I came across that last night and thought it would make an interesting subject. We haven't discussed this in quite some time.

If there are any newcomers tonight we will discuss Step 1. That's always our topic to welcome a newbie. Considering how this particular group has grown lately, it's very likely we may have a newcomer.

Thanks for much for your input! Greatly appreciated!

NYCDoglvr 01-18-2013 10:16 AM

I find "emotional sobriety" is a topic most people relate to.

Veritas1 01-18-2013 10:45 AM

I would like to ask people to share how God has demonstrated through them what He can do.

and/or

I would ask them to share about how they were once a tornado roaring through other people's lives, and where they are now.

and/or

What is your current experience with fear. What fear do you have in your life today.

Is it real or imagined and what is your plan?

And...I love this one...

If you are new....what is your plan? Tell us your plan! :)

We can talk to you after the meeting about your plan, and to suggest a new plan.

(courtesy of Mark H., and Scott R.)

Mark H. from Austin, TX speaking on the steps in Cabo, Mexico - March 2008

XA-Speakers - The lights are on!

tomsteve 01-18-2013 11:03 AM

when crushed by paralysis by analysis of a meeting topic, i turn to the index in the daily reflections

ave 01-18-2013 12:09 PM

I recently finished a 12-week chairing commitment at a beginner's topic meeting. It was a GREAT experience for me. At first I found my ego getting really worked up over the idea of picking topics! Typical alcoholic thinking - it had to be the BEST TOPIC EVER, the best meeting ever - what a reminder that my disease is alive and well!

I found myself frequently pulling topics from what I was going through that week, and what aspect of my recovery was challenging me. The best advice I can give is to look at where you are, honestly, and see what you are trying to work on at this moment. And then share about it.

Some topics I did included

insanity (I really liked this one. I talked about the insanity of the drink and the insanity of the think. Worked well for the newcomers in the room as well as the old timers, because we all still struggle with moments of alcoholic thinking! - We touched on steps 1,2, but also the housecleaning steps, getting into motivations, taking inventory, etc)

powerlessness - great for new and old members. It applies to SO MUCH - of course the drink and the drug, but then people, places, things, situations....

HOW - I actually broke this one up, but it is a great topic. I did honesty by itself, as well as willingness. There is so much to be said for each one. Always a good thing to be reminded of.

Coming to Believe - how did you come to believe? What has reaffirmed your belief in your HP? Got a lot of great anecdotes and messages of hope from this one. Also good for members who struggle with "the God thing" because they can hear how others found a "faith that works" when they came in with none.

Remembering your bottom / going to any lengths to stay sober - Pretty self explanitory. If I remember where I came from, I stay grateful and vigilant. They say a grateful heart will never drink, so I absolutely need to stay grateful, no matter what! If I lose sight of how bad I was before the program, I can take it for granted. I can look down on the newcomer or fail to relate to them. I can preach instead of offering my ESH. If this occurs, I am too full of myself to truly be of service, and I am neglecting my primary purpose. Or, I fall victim to the "built in forgetter", and I risk my sobriety.

The promises - great messages of hope! I thought they were so extravagant when I first heard them.... but slowly they began to come true in my life, as they have (and will) come true for all those who work the program :)

KnowHope 01-18-2013 01:23 PM

"Above everything, we alcoholics must be rid of this selfishness. We must, or it kill us!" p. 62

The "sunlight of the Spirit" p. 66

The 5th step promises p. 75

"We feel we are on the Broad Highway, walking hand in hand with the Spirit of the Universe." p. 75

"Although these reparations take innumerable forms, there are some general principles which we find guiding. Reminding ourselves that we have decided to go to any lengths to find a spiritual experience, we ask that we be given strength and direction to do the right thing, no matter what the personal consequences may be. We may lose our position or reputation or face jail, but we are willing. We have to be. We must not shrink at anything." p. 79

Our "vital sixth sense." p. 85

The long form of the traditions in the back of the Big Book.

KnowHope 01-18-2013 01:33 PM

"(b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism." p. 60

"The first requirement is that we be convinced that any life run on self-will can hardly be a success. On that basis we are almost always in collision with something or somebody, even though our motives are good. Most people try to live by self-propulsion." p. 60

"Is he not a victim of the delusion that he can wrest satisfaction and happiness out of this world if he only manages well?" p. 61

"Selfishness--self-centeredness! That, we think, is the root of our troubles. Driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity, we step on the toes of our fellows and they retaliate. Sometimes they hurt us, seemingly without provocation, but we invariably find that at some time in the past we have made decisions based on self which later placed us in a position to be hurt.

So our troubles, we think, are basically of our own making. They arise out of ourselves, and the alcoholic is an extreme example of self-will run riot, though he usually doesn’t think so." p. 62

deeker 01-18-2013 11:01 PM

nice

[QUOTE=Veritas1;3777854]I would like to ask people to share how God has demonstrated through them what He can do.

Wonderful topics, Hope you are well and blessed. God def did a miracle in my life.