Notices

As Bill Sees It for 1/3/2013

Old 01-03-2013, 12:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Arrow As Bill Sees It for 1/3/2013

*~*~*~*~*^AsBill SeesIt^*~*~*~*~*

Pain and Progress

"Years ago I used to commiserate with all people who suffered. Now I commiserate only with those who suffer in ignorance, who do not understand the purpose and ultimate utility of pain."

<<<>>>

Someone once remarked that pain is the touchstone of spiritual progress. How heartily we A.A.'s can agree with him, for we know that the pains of alcoholism had to come before sobriety, and continued turmoil before serenity.

<<<>>>

"Believe more deeply. Hold your face up to the Light, even though the moment you do not see."

1. LETTER, 1950 - 2. TWELVE AND TWELVE, pp. 93-94 - 3. LETTER, 195

Old 01-03-2013, 03:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Someone once remarked that pain is the touchstone of spiritual progress. How heartily we A.A.'s can agree with him, for we know that the pains of alcoholism had to come before sobriety, and continued turmoil before serenity.
In many ways I had to go through much distress and turbulence to punch through to where I am today, but it's not all pain that brings me progress. Prayer and meditation, working with others, reading spiritual works, enlarging my spiritual life...these don't involve pain per se, but are a natural extension of where pain initially brought me.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

It wasn't me that was resistant, it was my pride and ego. Those two things fueled my life and created a bitterness towards the world and reality. They had to be KO'd and temporarily down for the count before I could be ready to accept a new way of life and thinking.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

"""Someone once remarked that pain is the touchstone of spiritual progress. How heartily we A.A.'s can agree with him, for we know that the pains of alcoholism had to come before sobriety, and continued turmoil before"""

I am a true believer that I had to go through active alcoholism to be who I am today. I do not think I would have appreciated life, God and myself without reaching the low I did when drinking. I am grateful for that life because it led me to who/where I am now. No regrets; just lessons that made me stronger for today.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
In many ways I had to go through much distress and turbulence to punch through to where I am today, but it's not all pain that brings me progress. Prayer and meditation, working with others, reading spiritual works, enlarging my spiritual life...these don't involve pain per se, but are a natural extension of where pain initially brought me.
What Paul said too!!!!! Awesome!!!! Your words always ring some truth to me and are used in my recovery toolbox One alcoholic helping another. Thank you
Old 01-03-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

This makes me think of the saying I was told at the beginning of my journey..

Religion is for people scared of going to hell,,

And spiritualtiy is for those that have been there..

That really helped me at the time..