SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism-12 Step Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism-12-step-support/)
-   -   As Bill Sees It (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism-12-step-support/277207-bill-sees.html)

newby1961 12-11-2012 12:15 AM

As Bill Sees It

*~*~*~*~*^AsBill SeesIt^**~*~*~*

Random Quote - To Deepen Our Insight

It is necessary that we extricate from an examination of our personal relations every bit of information about ourselves and our fundamental difficulties that we can. Since defective relations with other human beings have nearly always been the immediate cause of our woes, including our alcoholism, no field of investigation could yield more satisfying and valuable rewards than this one.
Calm, thoughtful reflection upon personal relations can deepen our insight. We can go far beyond those things which were superficially wrong with us, to see those flaws which were basic, flaws which sometimes were responsible for the whole pattern of our lives. Thoroughness, we have found, will pay - and pay handsomely.

TWELVE AND TWELVE, p. 80
Copyright®1967 Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

Fernaceman 12-11-2012 07:18 PM

I like how it says CALM personal reflection...reminds me of the phrase "First thought WRONG." Generally my first reaction to a situation is completely warped and generally pretty hostile...I can be very defensive off the bat and am a master at destroying people with my words. Don't know where I was going with that but I am glad I don't have to do that anymore. I damaged a lot of relationships that way for no other reason that fear of my pride and ego being bruised.

newby1961 12-11-2012 11:40 PM

I am guilty of that more times than I would like to admit. I try and put into practice restraint with tongue& pen. I had to add pen because I would send e mails to people in the heat of the moment, and then wish I hadn't. So now I try to wait 24 hrs. Not real good at it all the time but progress rather than perfection comes to mind. Or at least that is my justification lol. Happy Holidays

Applecrumble 12-12-2012 12:19 AM

I really appreciate you posting these, Newby. I always try to read them but sometimes I can't really get my head around them but I think I will in time. In fact I just read this now thinking it was new but see I thanked you for it yesterday !

tomsteve 12-12-2012 03:30 AM

the only way i have calm reflection is when im lookin in the mirror. if it isnt calm, im lookin at the other side of the street.

Elisabeth888 12-12-2012 04:30 AM

I sit and try to clear all of the thoughts out of my head and then I pick topics and focus on one at a time. Not fast, furious thoughts, but kind of saying affirmations in my head.

Does that sound kooky?

Fernaceman 12-12-2012 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 (Post 3714718)
I sit and try to clear all of the thoughts out of my head and then I pick topics and focus on one at a time. Not fast, furious thoughts, but kind of saying affirmations in my head.

Does that sound kooky?

No, sounds quite sane. :)

newby1961 12-12-2012 08:41 AM

If that is kooky no way am I gonna tell you some of my insanity?:lmao

Like fm said "sounds quite sane."

IndaMiricale 12-12-2012 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by newby1961 (Post 3715013)
If that is kooky no way am I gonna tell you some of my insanity?:lmao

Like fm said "sounds quite sane."

LOL no doubt. Not kooky in the slightest.. :)