Notices

New to AA and feeling very positive

Old 12-13-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to AA and feeling very positive

I will be attending my 4th meeting today and I have to say I really think for me it is the best decision I could have made. I have tried many times to stop drinking on my own, only to go for a few days and then fall back into the old patterns that bring me back to drinking. I have yet to say anything in the meetings but just hearing that there are other people out there that have gone through the same struggles and have survived them makes each day easier for me to decide not to drink. I am not sure if I am being per-mature in my thinking that I am going to get through this struggle, but I have to believe that if I keep going and start really working the program that I will do it this time. I am not naive that it will be hard, but accountability to something is huge for me. I guess I am just happy to see a light and thankful for it.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nabb1 View Post
but I have to believe that if I keep going and start really working the program that I will do it this time.
Hit the nail on the head my friend. Welcome!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will be attending my 4th meeting today and I have to say I really think for me it is the best decision I could have made. I have tried many times to stop drinking on my own, only to go for a few days and then fall back into the old patterns that bring me back to drinking. I have yet to say anything in the meetings but just hearing that there are other people out there that have gone through the same struggles and have survived them makes each day easier for me to decide not to drink. , but I have to believe that if I keep going and start really working the program that I will do it this time. I am not naive that it will be hard, but accountability to something is huge for me. I guess I am just happy to see a light and thankful for it.
nabb, it is awesome to read something like this!! yes, you will get through the struggle with he help of we. its what we who have been there love to do: help the newcomer.
getting sober is a fight. staying sober has been easy.
i got into AA whn i was 36, but my mentality/maturity was at the level of when i took my 1st drink, which was 13. so i hadda lotta work to do.
isnt it great that that light at the end of the tunnel is no longer a train!?!?!?

"I am not sure if I am being per-mature in my thinking that I am going to get through this struggle." IMO, no, it isnt premature. but it requires T.I.M.E. and footwork.
keep comin back. all of the promises of the BB will come true if you work for them.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good to see you here nabb1. Tie a knot and hang on. All I did was take a few risks by trusting the folks when they said I didn't have to drink any more and followed instructions. Develope a little faith in the people and a higher power and just ask for help. Stay in touch.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone, having a positive outlook each day is the best feeling ever. Have a great day.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

ditto all the ^^^

Welcome Home.

Think of the things you will gain for getting sober, and write them down. Put that sheet of paper in a hidding spot.

We promise if you work that program it will work, and those things your wrote down. You will be able to look back and say WOW I really sold myself short on the sobriety thing.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Welcome and glad you are having a positive experience!! It does indeed get even better. Ya should try working the steps with a sponsor. I am shocked and awed constantly at just how much more of a difference that has made. It has taken my experience from good to UBERLY-FANTASTIC!!

God bless.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I will be attending my 4th meeting today and I have to say I really think for me it is the best decision I could have made. I have tried many times to stop drinking on my own, only to go for a few days and then fall back into the old patterns that bring me back to drinking. I have yet to say anything in the meetings but just hearing that there are other people out there that have gone through the same struggles and have survived them makes each day easier for me to decide not to drink. I am not sure if I am being per-mature in my thinking that I am going to get through this struggle, but I have to believe that if I keep going and start really working the program that I will do it this time. I am not naive that it will be hard, but accountability to something is huge for me. I guess I am just happy to see a light and thankful for it.
What a great attitude and approach you have...it's wonderful to hear. Accountability is a great word there, and as we get into the work and in the middle of AA with service work and commitments, etc. we see that at work.

Welcome and let us know how it goes!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi nabb, My 'first' couple of meetings i went to on late last year/early this year had a massive impact on me too. the power I felt in the room was something exceptional-never mind religion or lack of religion, the power in that room was enough for me to see it/something would be there for me and help me when I was ready. I had suddenly found a bunch of people just like me - blimey and they were doing well ... Better than well!

I went back to a meeting yesterday after many months away and then 16 weeks sobriety. I needed to work outside of just my own head so I believe it could guide me in that work. I'm still scared to share, though I have managed to yesterday and today. Yesterday I just cried pretty much hehe. But I don't know where else I would be able to do that, right?

Take care and keep posting, Nabb!

@I say 'first' cos I got taken to one 15 years ago and I fell off my chair drunk so don't remember.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Applecrumb, yer not alone with the crying. there i was, 36 years old and couldnt control it. all i received was love from a fellowship that knew exactly where i was at that time and guidance on how to stop feeling how i felt about me and my life.