Notices

A New Low At The AA Club......

Old 12-04-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by Fernaceman View Post
SB, some of us (myself) have had mostly positive experiences with clubs.
I have too. I will never understand why people are so down on AA clubs.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I guess that doesn't really surprise me. We have all sorts of folks that come to our local Alano club here in Central WI. Not everyone has the same motives as me, to recover. We have some small square lockers here at ours w/ each meetings items in the lockers. A couple years back a gal cut the locks and stole the treasure monies from a few of them. I do not remember how she was caught. She was arrested and banned from the club for year. She is back and appears to be doing great in her recovery.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Not the best of ideas to have a jar full of money sitting around in a room full of drunks is it?! The group might want to have a group conscience and write that one down for future reference.
I was thinking the same thing
why have it there so someone could steal it?

a jarful of cash is just asking for trouble
Old 12-04-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Well, I do want to share that the club has over 60 meetings a week and some good recovery. It's just that there are a few shelters nearby & some go to the club just to "warm up" for the day. I just want him to be prosecuted. Some folks were talking about finding him on the street to "teach him a lesson"
BTW, the jar was super glued to a table and a camera was directly on it. There are several good quality cameras throughout the building because of the problems we had.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Wow, I am still speechless at the "I wont pray for him." Thankfully, many others will and God loves him as much as he does you.

IMO, your post and attitude (and they behavior of others as you claim) give the group a bad name, not the man who took the money. JMO
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Clubhouse saved my life. I think its pretty dumb to expect any less. Take homeless people and hand out crack rock candy for xmas next time.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Some folks were talking about finding him on the street to "teach him a lesson"
I suspect he will do a good enough job all on his own....

Thats terrible, But something i would have done at the drop of a hat...there was no choice, i had to drink.

I used to get on the moral high ground about drink drivers till someone reminded me how id strap my daughter in the car and drive drunk...happy in the knowledge id strapped her real tight and safe, last time i was arrested and imprisoned, 5 times over the legal UK limit....yep real considerate dad when drinking.

Im not saying its right, and its sad for the kiddies....but let he whom without sin cast the first stone .
If my anger continued...id get a piece of paper out and draw out 4 columns.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I just don't understand why we give "free passes" to folks in addiction who commit crimes. Are criminal acts ever acceptable? Who knows maybe I'm a hypocrite. I have a criminal past but accept it for what it was. I was sick but I was an anti-social parasite of society. This guy does not get a free pass from me.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

The real tragedy is when/if the guy actually decides he's had enough with drinking he's likely going to be too ashamed to ever show his face in AA to find help.

I wouldn't turn my back on a pack of Newports in an AA club, much less a jar full of cash..... good God, that's a little naive of the group IMO
Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

If you read the New York GSO guidelines on intergroup money matters, the first question after the guidelines is, "What do you do if the treasurer steals the money?"

It happens all the time. GSO's suggestion is to get over it, move on, and half the time the thief will stumble back into the rooms. Sure, report it to the police. But beat the guy? Really?
Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

This guy doesn't need a free pass from you.

The crime was reported to the police. It is the job of the police to investigate and arrest this man/woman.

The club took the right action, now it is in the hands of the police.

Moving along....
Old 12-05-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by MemphisBlues View Post
If you read the New York GSO guidelines on intergroup money matters, the first question after the guidelines is, "What do you do if the treasurer steals the money?"

It happens all the time. GSO's suggestion is to get over it, move on, and half the time the thief will stumble back into the rooms. Sure, report it to the police. But beat the guy? Really?
It does happen all the time. People get blinded by money. Money is a crazy demon in itself. Makes people do things they normally wouldn't do. Sounds a lot like alcoholism, actually.

And if the person who steals it truly wants to recover one day, they will own up and admit what happened.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I used to get on the moral high ground about drink drivers till someone reminded me how id strap my daughter in the car and drive drunk...happy in the knowledge id strapped her real tight and safe, last time i was arrested and imprisoned, 5 times over the legal UK limit....yep real considerate dad when drinking.
Exact same thing happened to me, except the jail. Blew lethal levels of booze in blood. I would rail against drunk drivers and there I am the poster boy for a serial drinker and driver. Insanity, indeed.

I used to scrounge through people's coats and in my car for any loose change - anything - so I could get a can or bottle. So what happened at the club doesn't phase me, camera or no camera, glue or no glue.

I am also not surprised, yet disappointed, at the lack of compassion that something like this brings up in some members. We fail to forget our past trespasses, and live on a moral higher ground, when it was only a year ago that we stole from grandma and hocked some of her stuff for booze money. There were many people who looked upon me with compassion in the many years I was sick. I can only start to repay that love and compassion by doing the same for others.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I was sick but I was an anti-social parasite of society. This guy does not get a free pass from me.
You sound very hard on yourself. Self forgiveness is a very important product of the step work we do...
Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

A chairperson of a local meeting here recently drank our 7th tradition of about $275. It's a very small group of 2-6 people with rent that runs about $25 per weekly meeting, so that money was pretty significant to the group. When the chairperson admitted to a member that he had taken and drank through the money, he was a week or two sober. He didn't get a berating. Rather, he got a hug and he was slipped another $65 into his hand. THAT is the kind of fellowship I am grateful to be a part of.

Like they used to say in the old days in some meetings when the basket was being passed around: Friend, if you need one, take one.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Since I was already copying and pasting this to another thread what's one more:

COLUMN THREE

Self Esteem: I am (or see myself as):______________________________________________ ___.

Pride: No one should see the following being done to me:__________________________________________.

Ambition: What I want but think I am losing is _____________________________________________.

Emotional Security: To feel okay, I need for this person to________________________________________________ ________.

Financial Security: My financial security is threatened in this deal because_______________________________.

Relations by sex: I think women should____________________________________________ _______.

Personal Relations: Those close to me should see that I am___________________________________________.

COLUMN FOUR

Selfish-(I want to keep what I have, so here's how I was selfish)

Self-Seeking-(I also want what others have, so here's where I was seeking for myself rather than giving to another)

Dishonest-(The real truth is that...___________________________________________ __)
deceived her:________________________________________
deceived myself:_______________________________________

Fear-(What I'm really worried about or afraid of that is driving me to behave the way I'm behaving is???)

Insanity-(Here are the things about my behavior and feelings that are really insane in this deal):
__________________________________________________ _________________________
Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

If anything at all comes out of this thread....To me, it is a honest assessment of what real recovery looks like and who is practicing the principles of the program in their daily life....and those who are not.

I thank those who show me how the program can really work, if you sincerely work it.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
You sound very hard on yourself. Self forgiveness is a very important product of the step work we do...
I have very little compassion for others. When I was in my addiction I received very little sympathy. In & out of hospitals,treatment centers, recovery homes and jail. It helps me stay sober to realize that I was a true criminal besides a "sick' alcoholic.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Cant believe some of the stuff Im reading. Talk about judging the man. And Im not talking about the thief. The original poster is getting ridden rock solid and judged from nearly every poster.

Anyone would think the original poster stole the money, killed three puppys and blew up a church. Give the man a break and stop judging him.

Practice what you preach and all that.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobersanity View Post
Cant believe some of the stuff Im reading. Talk about judging the man. And Im not talking about the thief. The original poster is getting ridden rock solid and judged from nearly every poster.

Anyone would think the original poster stole the money, killed three puppys and blew up a church. Give the man a break and stop judging him.

Practice what you preach and all that.
Not so much buddy. The OP seems to be "fighting for their life" in that theatre of the lie. This matter of resentments is infinitely grave to alkies of the type AA is for. I can only speak for me, my post was from a position of love. I've been there. Either all my troubles are of my own making or they aren't. When I struggle to see that I have to do some writing and praying and then via another alky God reveals my selfish insanity to me.

If we were to live we had to be free of anger. Two parties involved in this scenario. The poster and the thief. Only one is here inquiring about experience.