Daily Reflections

Old 11-15-2012, 12:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Arrow Daily Reflections

Daily Reflections
November 15, 2012
VITAL SUSTENANCE
Those of us who have come to make regular use of prayer would no more do without it than we would refuse air, food, sunshine. And for the same reason. When we refuse air, light or food, the body suffers. And when we turn away from meditation and prayer, we likewise deprive our minds, our emotions, and our intuitions of vitally needed support.
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 97

Step Eleven doesn’t have to overwhelm me. Conscious contact with God can be as simple, and as profound, as conscious contact with another human being. I can smile. I can listen. I can forgive. Every encounter with another is an opportunity for prayer, for acknowledging God’s presence within me. Today I can bring myself a little closer to my Higher Power. The more I choose to seek the beauty of God’s work in other people, the more certain of His presence I will become.

c 1990 Daily Reflections Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, INC.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I love my morning prayer and evening thanks, It really has been a life changer.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been thinking a lot about what part people play in my life. I thought I liked people but my whole thinking has changed so much since being sober and these thoughts and feelings certainly aren't static. Through AA and Echhart Tolle I am learning to use the encounters with people to give me more of an insight into myself and my motives. To make these observations to be of any use they have to be done while those interactions are happening. I can sometimes achieve this and it has been of great benefit ,for example not over reacting and getting angry but observe myself getting angry and not buy into it.
I must admit that I am guilty of finding more fault in people than good. I want to change that but not sure how to do that. Not that deep down I find people rather annoying.

When I was drinking I was a like a friendly labrador now I am more of a taciturn breed of dog, more likely to bite when quiet.

I would be interested in how others are coping with people relationships since being sober.

CaiHong
Old 11-16-2012, 12:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Love your analogy of the dogs it fits the topic well. I notice now that I have been sober for a number of years the less I like people myself but the bad new in all that is I use that as a reason to isolate myself away from people except when it comes to on-line. I used to be really outgoing and the life of the party even sober but the last few years I have gotten to where I don't like others that much. I guess maybe the more I got to love myself and enjoy being okay with being alone I don't seem to really need many people in my life. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone else or not? Great topic thanks.