Notices

I've been asked to share at my AA meeting

Old 07-19-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've been asked to share at my AA meeting

Hi guys,

I guess this is one for my AA friends. I've been asked to share at a meeting next Wednesday and I am absolutely scared witless! However I do really want to do it. Does anybody have any advice for me? I've started writing my story from the beginning and it's hurting but I'm persevering x
Old 07-19-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

This would probably get more response and also be more appropriate in the 12-Step forum.

I've spoken at my home group a few times. I never wrote anything down. I prefer it to be from the heart, in the moment. Generally, I just don't think about it much until the day of. Then I pray. Several times through out the day. Then immediately before I speak.

Don't complicate it. You'll be just fine.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remember my first talk. A buddy really helped when he said that I didn't have to impress anyone nor sober anyone up.

I never heard a bad talk and I know yours will be fine too.

Just try to do 1 talk... I usually do 3 talks:
1) The talk I'm going to do.
2) The talk I do
3) As soon as I sit down I start with the talk I should have done !!

Talks 1 & 3 are optional

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-19-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

That is good news epskie,you will be fine.

What it was like,what happened and what it is like now is the way to go,I would say.

I always pray as well and it goes as well as it can do.

Wishing you well.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Say a prayer first that someone hears what your higher power needs them to hear, then talk about what it was like, what happened, and what it's like today.

Enjoy!
Old 07-19-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

epskie - you'll be fine, talk slow and take deep breaths....

Remember, people are there to listen and not to judge you on your public speaking skills.

If you do want to prepare for it (that's what helps me), right down key points you want to cover and have a it with you... No biggie.

Good luck
Old 07-19-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welp, when yer dont writin it down, throw out the paper. 1st what i do is ask God to help me give a message of recovery. i then share what i used to be like, what happened, and what i'm like now. i avoid stories of drunken escapades. we've all had em and i know i listen better when i hear the thinkin thing, so thats what i share.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Bring notes for reminders. have three points. take off yur watch and put it on the podium so you know the time. Talk about recovery too, not just a drunkalog. Speak from the heart. You'll do fine. It's not like someone is going to interrupt you and say "hey that's not what happened".
Old 07-19-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The first time...I made a list so I could keep on track.
Then...I forgot to take it with me to the podium..

Soo....I started with..."My recovery has required a lot of changes
my name is Elvis" and of course everyone laughed

That relaxed me and then...I could share more easily..

I never know what I've said but always hope someone there will
benefit from my shareing.
Yes I pray and let it rip.

Last edited by CarolD; 07-19-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

epskie....I did move this thread over to Alcoholism 12 Step Support
as it's an AA matter.

I'm sure you will do just fine....and I agree....speaking from your
heart is the best way.

Thank you for agreeing to do this AA service work..
Old 07-19-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My sponsor suggested I say two prayers when I get to the podium:

I am the place where God shines through, he and I are one not two. I need not worry fret or plan, he wants me where and as I am...and if I can be relaxed and free he will carry out his plan through me.

Then "let the words be thine, let the voice be mine" and get the heck outta Gods way!
Old 07-19-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I made a few bullet point notes to stay on task but I didn't have to use it much. I also prayed beforehand and I believe I spoke from my heart. It was a great experience for me as it was a speaker meeting w/ microphone so while I was a little nervous at first, I fell into a groove.

I think you will do great and God will use it no matter what! Some people say not to use notes but my sponsor recommended it. Do what feels comfortable for you.

Blessings, Lily
Old 07-19-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lfh4555 View Post
Bad Company -- I love your signature:
"Lord, take me where you want me to go, let me meet who you want me to meet, tell me what you want me to say, and keep me out of your way." - Fr. Michal Judge.
I carry this card around in my wallet all the time, and when I start taking my will back, pull it out and read it to remind myself I'm not in charge here. Thank heavens.

lh
Father Mychael Judge was the first recorded victim on sept 11. He was also an alcoholic in AA with 23 years sober when he died.

AllMegaStar.com: Fr. Mychal's body being removed from the World Trade Center (Photo by Shannon Stapleton)
Old 07-19-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

From my personal experience....don't write out your story and above all, don't go up to the podium with a bunch of notes to read. I've done that (and watched plenty of others try it) and it never works. My absolute worst talks were the ones where I PLANNED what I'd say, wrote an outline (or parts of a speech) and read that stuff to the audience.

The best talks come from the heart........and what's in your heart changes from day to day........so be true to yourself and speak from the heart on the day you do the talk.

A little prayer I say before I talk goes something like this, "All-right God....I don't have a clue what to say, don't know what they need to hear, don't know what that one person in the meeting who's here to get something important from me needs to hear........and I'm worried about looking like a dummie..........but I'm going to go give this talk because I know that's what I'm supposed to do........and even though I don't want to trust you I'm going to have to trust you to give me the words, to give me the inspiration, to give the the thoughts to talk about so I can carry whatever message you want me to carry to these ppl tonight. Oh, and if you want me to go up there and look like a dummie then so be it......cuz it's gonna be you whom I come to to get over the shame......so you're gonna have to hook me up now or later - lol."

About the time I finish that prayer my ENTIRE mind usually goes totally blank.......panic sets in.......and then the leader is calling my name to come to the podium. I start with my name and my last drink date.........and about 3 seconds after that God just kicks in and off I go.

By the time you're done, you'll be shocked at how quickly it went. That said, the first 5-10 minutes usually seem to take forever........but once me ego subsides a little and I've really started to open up and get honest, it goes by reeeeally quickly.

Hope that helps.

Ask your HP for some help......that one never fails.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Kind of amusing really isnt it,....when drinking i would gladly spew my sad life story over anyone that was silly enough to listen.

Imo......there isn't a wrong share from an alcoholic in AA.

Ive seen petrified newcomers shiver and tremble while offering up war story after war story.......it isn't there fault, at the time its all they know and it does take serious balls to share as a newbie....its a miracle in itself.

In my experience......many of us have an ego that just loves to be stroked, i always wanted my share to move people to tears, for the lights to flicker and people to spontaneously recover just by listening to my hallowed words lol.

These days, as people have mention, ..i say a short pray and remember whom im sharing for.....the suffering alcoholic, that may be in the room looking for some answers to some serious question.

Points i try to remember and i think about that are very important.....here abouts.
What it was like not drinking and having fellowship alone, what it was like to rely on my own power to stay sober .

Then, what i did to change that........and the difference.

I dont believe a share from any alcoholic is a bad one really on the face of it.
Its the problem drinkers sharing to alcoholics that does the damage.

Just my take.........good luck with it, i hope we get to hear how it went .
Old 07-20-2012, 01:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
kiddo

I shared at the last meeting I went to, and that would have been after 3 weeks of going to meetings. I was terrified but it went alright.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The first time I spoke, I was told to just ask God to put the words in my mouth, and reminded to (at 8 months sober) try to divide the time evenly between what it was like, what happened and what it was like now.

The longer I've been sober, the more I kind of just want to walk up and list three ways I suffered drinking, and then move on to what the bottom felt like, and a boatload of time about living the program. Then I get to the podium, and whatever God wants comes out of my mouth any way, just as it always has, lol. (Eek. I'm speaking in about a week.)
Old 07-20-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

I always ask God to let his words come out and not mine. I say what it was like, what happened, and what it is like now. I have to have a watch so I can keep track of time, because I can go on forever about what it is like now.

God be with you!!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

i always just pray..i ask God that He gve me the words that i may be useful.
thats it : )
i still find it terribly nerve wracking sometimes...but once i get out of the way and let the words just flow after a few minutes its fine.
youll be great : )
Old 07-20-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Speak from experience, not for effect. Your experience is genuine and valuable, you cannot fail if you stick to that