Notices

Sober since 19, Considering Drinking

Old 06-26-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well you are certainly not in the solution right now. I can tell because i read your post and I said well, here comes the selfsihness, I got sober at 19, I was immature that is why I drank, I worked hard, I want to be like normal people, I deserve to have fun, I have worked hard, I am abroad. I suggest if you are craving you should get to a meeting or find a sponsor that will work with you long distance. Try to make yourself useful. I am sure there are alcoholics in Chile. Working with others is the best way to get out of yourself. The program works....IF YOU WORK IT
Old 07-02-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
MK87

I want to say that what ever we put before our sobriety we will lose. I got sober at 21 (25 now)... same thing. Religiously went to meetings, called my sponsor, helped people the first 2 years. Then I was doing ok and stopped, then insanity started coming back, then I started thinking about drinking. I like whoever put up the "daily reprieve" idea because thats true, as well as the "resting on our laurels". It's also about the third step where "we take our will back". I know I wouldn't have my friends, my peace of mind, my car, my bank account if I wasn't sober. But the being sober is what enables me to have those things. I agree that staying sober is just as difficult as getting sober because we have to continue working the program day in and day out even when things are A-OK. Anyways, I started praying again, went to some meetings and puked my brains out about how I was going to drink, and now I have the OPPORTUNITY to get back to one day at a time living a sober life, doing the next right thing, and avoiding misery and death. Anyway, I doubt the guy who even wrote this is reading it at this point but just realize your powerless over alcohol and you need a higher power (use the rooms and a sponsor) to show you how to live.
Peace.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Sammy
what you have described is in the big book-alcoholic insanity
More About Alcoholism,Chapter 3
the insanity before the first drink.Remember Sammy,we are talking about a life or death matter,not just some casual drink.Also,We really do not have to explain our not drinking to anyone for what it`s worth.

from the first edition big book

No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows.
The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.

Despite all we can say, many who are real alcoholics are not going to believe they are in that class. By every form of self-deception and experimentation, they will try to prove themselves exceptions to the rule, therefore nonalcoholic.

A man of thirty was doing a great deal of spree drinking. He quit for 25 years and drank again,he was dead within 4 years.This case contains a powerful lesson. Most of us have believed that if we remained sober for a long stretch, we could thereafter drink normally.

To be gravely affected, one does not necessarily have to drink a long time nor take the quantities some of us have.

This is the baffling feature of alcoholism as we know it-this utter inability to leave it alone, no matter how great the necessity or the wish.

and Freds Story
Let him tell you about it: "I was much impressed with what you fellows said about alcoholism, and I frankly did not believe it would be possible for me to drink again. I rather appreciated your ideas about the subtle insanity which precedes the first drink, but I was confident it could not happen to me after what I had learned. I reasoned I was not so far advanced as most of you fellows, that I had been usually successful in licking my other personal problems, and that I would therefore be successful where you men failed.

Sammy,looks like a case of that old alcoholic insanity running thru your head.You know what to do to stay sober if you really want too

Once more: The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink. Except in a few cases, neither he nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense must come from a Higher Power.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

How do you decide what you want to want? It is not stated clearly in the BB, but I believe that is the exact center of the 11th step. This step guides my movtivations.

Good luck sammybee.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I got sober at 29, and have struggled with the "too young" thing periodically, especially after a close friend went out and doesn't seem to be suffering! I suspect that if I had gotten sober at my current age of 54, my alcoholic mind would eventually consider that "too young" to get sober too!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The choice is yours. Do whatever you feel you need to do. Best of luck.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

a close friend went out and doesn't seem to be suffering!
Not everyone in AA needs to be in AA ( I know I know, no one gets here by mistake right? Whatever...)

Comparing to another is not an accurate test. What happens when I pick up? Did periods of sobriety in the past change the way I used when I finally used?

It is my recovery, not the other persons