SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism-12 Step Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism-12-step-support/)
-   -   24 hour coin??? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism-12-step-support/258543-24-hour-coin.html)

OregonPlinker 06-03-2012 10:39 PM

24 hour coin???

I was told the 24 hour coin is to remind us of the 24hours in the day and in sobriety we take it one day at a time. Is this correct? Thanks for reading. :tyou

Veritas1 06-04-2012 12:01 AM

I have seen the 24 hour coin given to newcomers in their first 24 hours or at their first AA meeting.

I have also seen them given to anyone with less than 30 days at a birthday anniversary meeting.

I am not quite sure of the history of the AA chip. Will do some research and let you know.

I thought the chips were more about accomplishment, although having it can certainly be a reminder. I have kept mine in my pocket many days when I was weary and it may sound silly but it was helpful.

PS

Here is a link to AA chip history.

Happy Reading!

AA History - Some History of AA Chips

tomsteve 06-04-2012 02:21 AM

i dont know what the meaning of it is, but what other day can we work on staying sober in?
it can be used to not drink. if you feel like drinking, stick it under yer tongue. when it melts, you can have a drink.

FlyerFan 06-04-2012 04:51 AM

I keep all my coins in my pocket at all times to remind me what I've been through. So i have 24 hours through 5 months. :)

CarolD 06-04-2012 08:20 AM

My first HG did not offer coins or medallions to anyone for anything.
Often a friend or sponsor would give one of their own..or one ordered
to denote milestones.

My current HG uses various colored chips for time in program.
We offer the 24...saying..."If you have a desire to follow our way of life"
Ergo...it's the Desire Chip ...:)

UpperbucksAAguy 06-04-2012 01:49 PM

Here is an interesting link on coins in AA. Sister Ignatia used to give away Sacred Heart Medallions to newcomers in Akron.

The Temperance Movement from Ireland used medallions as a way of symbolizing your sobriety.

muvinon 06-04-2012 03:23 PM

Here, we have a "desire" chip.....for anyone wishing to join our way of life.

OregonPlinker 06-04-2012 06:21 PM

I appreciate all the input. Thank you all very much! I love the the history link. Especially the 45acp worry bead... Thats my kind of sponser!

I seen a wooden chip that had the triangle on it and a 24 inside the triangle. On the other side of the chip it said "one day at a time"...I talked to a few people and decided I would make a modified drawing of each side. I have the triangle with unity, service and recovery outside and 24 inside the triangle tattooed on the inside of my right bicep. When I have the money Im having the other side tattooed on my left. I havent finished drawing the one day at a time tattoo yet.

Sheryl85 06-07-2012 09:58 PM

When I came into the program they would offer the desire chip and say "...it's an outward sign of an inward desire to try our way of life one day at a time."

TheJungianThing 06-07-2012 11:31 PM

I've also heard "Give up the high cost of low living".

wow04 06-08-2012 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by UpperbucksAAguy (Post 3429837)

Here is an interesting link on coins in AA. Sister Ignatia used to give away Sacred Heart Medallions to newcomers in Akron.

The Temperance Movement from Ireland used medallions as a way of symbolizing your sobriety.

I just got done reading the book about Sister Ingatia and was going to mention her on this.

sugarbear1 06-08-2012 07:38 AM

If you do a search or read about AA history, there's some (a little) more information on chips.

The first "chip group" was supposedly in Elmira, NY in 1942

On a side note, although Clarence S. had the AA group #3, he actually held the very first meeting that was called "Alcoholics Anonymous" and as good alkies do, he let others know about it..losing "credit" for the naming of the meeting, but being humble, he let it pass (although he mentions it in his talk on xa-speakers.org)....that was about the time the name of our textbook was being decided upon....(I think they wanted to call it "A Way Out" or something like that, but when someone went to the DC library, they found out there were too many books with that title already in print).

For me, the most important chips are given with a message from the giver. My grand-sponsor gave me a chip with the first 3 alkies on one side (Bill W., Dr. Bob, and Bill D.) and on the other it says, "Recovery begins when one alcoholic talks with another alcoholic, sharing experience, strength, and hope." That one is special along with what was said to me at the time. That one and my 1 year chip....

Marbles are given in the UK (early AA and now, although I've heard some meetings are now giving AA chips now) and the marble represented something. Time to go look that up again.....