Notices

Around the Year with Emmet Fox - 19 December

Old 12-19-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Around the Year with Emmet Fox - 19 December

THE DEVIL'S LAST DITCH

When you have driven the devil out of every other corner of your heart, his last refuge is to take shelter in negative analysis. He will say, "You prayed before and nothing happened," or "You have been praying so long for that...." Or perhaps he will say, "There is no way that it can come about."

When this kind of thing comes into your thought, do not be discouraged but rather rejoice, for this means that Satan is positively in his very last ditch, and now is the time to clear him out; and if you will be loyal to God it will not be difficult. Now is the time to know the Truth quietly, and to hold to it in spite of false appearances. Now is the time to witness to the faith that is in you. No finer opportunity for a great step forward spiritually can ever come to you than this one.

It is not when things are going well that we make our progress. It is not even when things are going wrong and yet we feel sure that we can handle them with prayer, that we advance. It is when, smitten by the temptation to discouragement or even despair, we yet stand for what we know is the Truth, and say with Job, Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him (Job 13:15)
Old 12-19-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

ahhhhhh.... that was a good reading again today.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Still.... One of my favorites from that book.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Reminds me of the "Screwtape Letters" (written by an inkling). It's a series of letters from a senior devil to a junior devil. http://www.samizdat.qc.ca/arts/lit/P...etters_CSL.pdf

I think its time to read it again in light Carl Jung's words to Bill Wilson..... "I am strongly convinced that the evil principle prevailing in this world leads the unrecognized spiritual need into perdition if it is not counteracted either by real religious insight or by the protective wall of human community. An ordinary man, not protected by an action from above and isolated in society, cannot resist the power of evil, which is called very aptly the Devil. But the use of such words arouses so many mistakes that one can only keep aloof from them as much as possible."

Happy reading.