Daily Reflections-Humility is a gift

Old 07-12-2011, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Arrow Daily Reflections-Humility is a gift

--

*~*~*~*~*^Daily Reflections^*~*~*~*~*

HUMILITY IS A GIFT

As long as we placed self-reliance first, a genuine reliance upon a Higher Power was out of the question. That basic ingredient of all humility, a desire to seek and do God's will, was missing.

TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 72

When I first came to A.A., I wanted to find some of the elusive quality called humility. I didn't realize I was looking for humility because I thought it would help me get what I wanted, and that I would do anything for others if I thought God would somehow reward me for it. I try to remember now that the people I meet in the course of my day are as close to God as I am ever going to get while on this earth. I need to pray for knowledge of God's will today, and see how my experiences with hope and pain can help other people; if I can do that, I don't need to search for humility, it has found me.

Copyright 1990 ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS WORLD SERVICES, INC.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Humility has found me is a great way stating that fact. I can not express it enough in my experience that suffering really was the catalyst to humility. Suffering was saying,"do this or else" I now see that Gods hand grows increasingly heavy until I learn the needed humility. Before AA, I was one in a crowd. I was out for me and my family and whatever I could take out of life I would. It was about a race to the top and I was full of steam and desire to get there. That being my motivation the means did not really matter. This placing me and what I want first led to a number of falls hence the pain needed to grow in a different way, I am justly persuaded that by humbling myself I will be lifted up and placed on a path that is really going somewhere, God is good like that.