self seeking = when I put lipstick on and act like a pig

LOL!
Old 07-23-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
selfish = when I act like a pig
self seeking = when I put lipstick on and act like a pig

LOL!
Yes, I did laugh. Also shuddered. Well right then, Boleo.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

How come i got a feeling that AA isn't worth it?
Old 07-24-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

BTB.....
I don't know what expereince you have with AA but please do check us out before decideing if it is or isn't for you....

I know I was very confused in early sobriety ....I would have tried anything to quit and stay stopped.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Carol,

I'm an ambitious person who has to make up for an entire life being at the bottom. I have hopes, dreams, and aspirations that will not come forth being part of an organization that hinders and denies one's selfworth and encourages groveling.

God is God. And an indifferent one at that. What matters in the everyday world is what one sees in the mirror. Mine is a revolting reflection and i have every intention in the future of gazing onto on that is much better.

AA has the Big Book, i have Nietzsche. Too long have i been a slave, i must struggle against myself to rise above my state and self.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Why struggle, BTB?

Rising above self is still self unless we put self aside. Then it's not about rising above anything. Humility. When I feel that I am trying to be something I am not, and believe me I am guilty of that, I am self self seeking.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I do not want being part of an organization that denies one's self worth and encourages groveling either

that`s why I joined AA and try to live the program as best I can today

good luck on your quest!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Why struggle, BTB?

Rising above self is still self unless we put self aside. Then it's not about rising above anything. Humility. When I feel that I am trying to be something I am not, and believe me I am guilty of that, I am self self seeking.
Actually, it should have read current self at the end. The goal is rehumanization. That is, a complete overhaul to eliminate that which hinders and holds one back from a desired state of being.

If you don't like who or what you are, burn yourself down and build up from the ashes into who and what you want to be.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanx for bring up the issue of self worth bball!!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Interesting thread as I work through my 4th step. I decided to try to back my way into the difference between selfish and self-seeking by trying to determine their opposites. Here's what I came up with.

opposite of selfish: selfLESS, egoless, connected as one, accommodating, flexible

opposite of self-seeking: Service, altruistic, generous, charitable

Perhaps selfish describes an attitude/thought and self-seeking describes the behavior/action that follows.

This being my first post and sooo deeply profound I'm feeling a little more self-seeking than selfish
Old 02-26-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

hi liferung and welcome to SR
Old 02-26-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, liferung - it's good to have you join us! Good luck working on your 4th step and congrats on your sobriety.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

It's just the same thing to me. In composition, it's recommended to vary the words and to use alliteration.

That sentence is an example of such writing techniques.

And....it certainly DID get your attention, which is the point.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I was told that Selfish is "Its mine, you cant have it" and self seeking is "its yours and I want it"
Old 02-10-2019, 05:32 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Page 61

On page 61 of the big book, I find a clarifying sentence for this: "Is he not really a self-seeker even when trying to be kind?"

So, when working the 4th or 10th step, I think of self-seeking as a higher level of selfishness that is present in those kinds of situations. For example, not sharing my food with my wife is selfish. Giving her some of my food because I think it may get me points with her is self-seeking. I'm step 6, I'm asking God to remove these motivations and help me to want to share without expecting anything in return. That's all.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

JJ,welcome to SR
Old 02-10-2019, 03:10 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I was watching an interview with Jane Goodall, the amazing woman and primatologist, last week. She was answering a question about observations of chimpanzees exhibiting altruistic behaviors. As higher order species we have developed the capacity to foster the well being of others and of the community over purely selfish motivation. In turn we benefit from that connection and overall welfare.

It comes down to what is described here as enlightened or perceived self-interest in the state of others being cared for in our existence. As social creatures our self-interest is increased by selfless acts that serve the larger well-being of our social units. Selfishness is not so purely described in negative terms when we look at groups of individuals working toward the common good by making a choice to be altruistic. The act of giving to others is a healthy self-seeking behavior as opposed to the taking from others' welfare through deception or coercion.

Addicts lose the capacity to act for either their own well-being or for that of those connected to them by association, family or community ties. We become solely self-seeking in pleasure, absence of pain, and evasion. Our instincts toward altruism and ultimately toward preservation are corrupted on all accounts. Given that this is not a natural state of being for humans, we are ill.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:47 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Nice one Guener,

your post got me thinking, the small acts of kindness that I may perform throughout the day, the more "successful, ones are usually ones where I don"t think about, I just see a need and react positively to that need and it just feels right. When I was drinking what may have been perceived as being generous or kind acts, were not really they were corrupted by self interest, get people to like me and excuse my drinking with the accompanying resentment if they didn't. Now the focus is more on the recipient of goodwill not my goodwill but my HP coming through and my reward is I feel right, comfortable, which has very little to do with the other person.

CaiHong
Old 02-11-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

just off the cuff, the self seeking employee works only for his own benefit, just the wage, and has no interest in fellow employees or the welfare of the business. He does what is needed to meet his personal goals, one of which is to keep his job.

The person that loves his job, appreciates his fellow employees, the company and the customers, is interested in their well being and goes "the extra mile" in service, and makes that little extra effort for the good of all, still goes home with the same wage, but gets a bonus in how he feels about a job well done. Personal satisfaction/reward is greater.