Notices

Some Common Misconceptions about Alcoholics Anonmymous

Old 03-27-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

This thread feels like the twilight zone to me. Something real wrong goin on here. IMO, of course.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Bill Wilson, 1960, addressing a conference on alcoholism, "We have never called alcoholism a disease because, technically speaking, it is not a disease entity. For example, there is no such thing as heart disease. Instead, there are many separate heart ailments, or combinations of them. It is something like that with alcoholism. Therefore, we did not wish to get in wrong with the medical profession by pronouncing alcoholism a disease entity. Therefore, we always called it an illness, or a malady - a far safer term for us to use."
Old 04-05-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

my second sponsor stressed against using the word disease when talking about my alcoholism,especially in meetings.He said half the crowd would run over you when the meeting was over trying to get to the Dr`s to get a pocketful of tablets.Disease implies medical treatment in a lot of minds.
The medical community can label it any way they wish.I don`t care,and since they was brought up,they have previously stated they cannot cure alcoholism.We know they can only treat the symptoms.That`s another discussion for another time.