SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism-12 Step Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism-12-step-support/)
-   -   "Sober by the grace of God.." (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism-12-step-support/185570-sober-grace-god.html)

tomvlll 10-01-2009 03:26 PM

"Sober by the grace of God.."

What does this mean?

Astro 10-01-2009 04:03 PM

To mean it means that I didn't get and stay sober by myself, I had to turn my will and life over to Him for help.

Main Entry: 1grace
Pronunciation: \ˈgrās\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin gratia favor, charm, thanks, from gratus pleasing, grateful; akin to Sanskrit gṛṇāti he praises
Date: 12th century
1 a : unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification b : a virtue coming from God c : a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace

Boleo 10-01-2009 04:07 PM

"We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition."

(page 85) All quotes from Alcoholics Anonymous 1st Edition

24hrsAday 10-01-2009 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by tomvlll (Post 2386155)
What does this mean?

i am sober by god's grace.. i did not earn this.. it was given to me.. i only continue my sobriety on a daily basis by not picking up a drink ODAAT..:whisper

McGowdog 10-01-2009 09:39 PM

The only time I know that "grace" comes up in the 164 is on page 25;

"But for the grace of God, there would have been thousands more convincing demonstrations. So many want to stop but cannot.

There is a solution."

We do these steps and sobriety is the result. For us to take the credit and pound our chests would seem to be arrogant. It is said that we cannot earn God's grace. It's a gift... one that we cannot control.

I think that my "desire" was given to me by booze, but why I didn't die many times over is some kind of Grace.

But I cannot just pray to God, "Keep me sober" and expect that to work by itself. If that was the case, the Big Book would have been the Big Pamphlet saying, "God keeps you sober, have a good day."

Cathy31 10-01-2009 11:58 PM

Similar to 24hrs - I am no more 'deserving' than other alcoholics that have failed to get sober. It is only through God's Grace (I heard at a service once : Grace upon Grace upon Grace and that's so true for what has happened in my life) I have done MY part (meetings, willingness, stepwork, etc) but that is miniscule in comparison to the part God has played, the main part, His Grace that got me sober. I cannot do it by myself. God knows I tried! He gives me a daily reprieve, based on my spiritual condition. I am so grateful that I have been blessed with His Grace...I think this is why many of us get 'uncomfortable' when non-A's congratulate us on our sobriety (my parents for example) and they're sooo proud...I always say but it's not me, it's God's Grace. I did my part sure but I am sober through God's Grace. And how can I take credit for that?
I am so very grateful today!

Cathy31
x

Tommyh 10-02-2009 01:33 AM

a.I am alcoholic and cannot manage my own life-sober
b.no human power can relieve my alcoholism -sober
c.God can and will if I seek Him - sober
that wraps it up for me

Lily 10-02-2009 05:08 PM

For me grace means given something we do not deserve. Gods grace is a gift for me I did not deserve. Thus Sober by the grace of God is the gift of sobriety by God's grace, which I did not deserve, but am forever grateful for!

Ago 10-02-2009 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lily (Post 2387194)
For me grace means given something we do not deserve. Gods grace is a gift for me I did not deserve. Thus Sober by the grace of God is the gift of sobriety by God's grace, which I did not deserve, but am forever grateful for!

The way I have learned it is Grace is an unearned gift, not an undeserved one.

You too are a child of God, therefore deserving of The Gift of Sobriety and God's Love

I am theoretically and according to the Dictionary an Atheist, and I believe that with all of my heart, and it breaks my heart to see you write that about yourself.

shaun00 10-03-2009 05:07 AM

for me.....gods grace is gods love.
a unconditional love/grace.......like a mothers/fathers love.
i had gods grace/love the minute i was born...

For me it was a huge hurdle to get over and comprehend...
move away from the idea of a punishing god...a new idea of god....a new perception.

im a child of god.......he loves me no matter what........all i gotta do is open the door to that grace.....let the light flood in..and blow away those old ideas...about me and whats in it for me..

is it unearnt?.........sure........i had it all along.

Believe808 10-03-2009 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lily (Post 2387194)

I agree with you Lily. That is what it means to me also. A precious gift indeed.

Clutch B 10-03-2009 06:51 AM

This other phrase kind of falls in line with "Sober by the grace of God" ...

I often hear people quote, "But for the grace of God go I," in response to seeing/hearing about a seemingly hopeless drunk on the streets.

I never understood that phrase. I always thought it was a cruel thing to say or think. It seems to suggest that I have God's grace and he doesn't.

But now I think they mean it in such a way as to state, "I am not above that drunk over there. We are one in the same. That would have been me if I had not gotten sober. That would easily BE me if I ever drink again, and I can only stay sober with God's help."

Lately I am experiencing that I really need God's help to stay sober. Whenever I try to stay sober alone, on my own strength, I end up in a dangerous position: Gazing into the liquor store window with my soul ripping in half, trying to decide whether to drive away or go inside.

You may see me on the street someday. And if I hear you say, "But for the grace of God go I," I would agree with you.